best late night snack

I sometimes have the late night snack that my late father enjoyed. Fresh hearth bread with butter and strawberry jam, topped with a thick slice of Havarti cheese.
He was born in Denmark and never lost his love for open faced sandwiches (or cheese!!)

The open faced cheese sandwich is still one of Denmark's favourite snacks or lunch items. And the combination of a nice, matured cheese and strawberry jam really has something going for it!
My go-to snack (late night or whenever) is a piece of toasted Danish style rye bread with butter, medium to long matured Danbo cheese, and a bit of salt on top.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who loves cheese. Also its gotta be butter not margarine on whatever.
This is my go to butter Kerrygold pure Irish Butter.View attachment 1307242
Yup, Kerrygold is an excellent product and worth the premium when used where it is a prominent ingredient. Howerver, for most cooking, I will use "regular" butter. I recently tried the Finlandia butter, which is priced similarly, and I think the Kerrygold is superior.

Yup, Kerrygold is an excellent product and worth the premium when used where it is a prominent ingredient. Howerver, for most cooking, I will use "regular" butter. I recently tried the Finlandia butter, which is priced similarly, and I think the Kerrygold is superior.
Yeah the Unsalted was on sale 2 for 1. Couldn't pass it up.

Just came inside from cleaning up some leaves, and needed something quick, warm, and satisfying. Tomato basil soup with Orzos did the trick ! :)

Nightly 10.00pm "snack":

100g protein (70% casein, 30% whey) bar, chocolate & vanilla flavored, followed by a liquid chaser comprised of 5g l-glutamine and 5g l-arginie ketoglutarate. 2-3 x/week I'll add ~3g BCAAs.

If I'm up late at night, and especially if I have had a few, I have an "Elena Ruth" sandwich. Which is made by combining the bread from a Cuban "Midnight Sandwich" which is about the size and shape of a hero sandwich.. but with a sweet taste, then you take that sweet bread, put cream cheese (only Philadelphia will do), strawberry preserves and roast turkey on it then eat it. Holy cow that's a good late-night snack. It's a hangover avoidance miracle.

Hot Wings...

Cook a couple dozen wings halfway done using coconut oil, drain the oil....REDUCE HEAT and add a mixture of honey and red chili seeds to the wings. Cook until done while continually turning over the wings because honey burns easily...

Great with homemade coleslaw....or carrot (with raisins) salad.

I've been dieting and lost 25 pounds, mainly by cutting red meat, fried foods and sugary snacks from my diet. (I do cry a lot). I've gone from a 40" waist to a 36" which I haven't been since high school. I'm enjoying these chips at night.

8345-500x500.jpg

I do this one pretty often: A thick mixture of large-curd cottage cheese and buttermilk, topped with Flamin' Hot Cheetos and a sprinkle of chipotle powder (or cumin or fresh-ground black pepper).

I also like a dish of good unpasteurized sauerkraut or a big naturally fermented dill pickle late in the evening. Settles the tummy like nothing else!

I've been dieting and lost 25 pounds, mainly by cutting red meat, fried foods and sugary snacks from my diet. (I do cry a lot). I've gone from a 40" waist to a 36" which I haven't been since high school. I'm enjoying these chips at night.

8345-500x500.jpg
25 lbs is pretty dang good, I'd say but I think you have the order backwards. I'd put sugary snacks followed by fried foods with red meat being the least culprit in that order.
I eat supper kinda late so no need for a snack but if I'm up really late a can of sardines with some rye bread or crackers, and some olives and cheese if I'm really feeling snacky.

25 lbs is pretty dang good, I'd say but I think you have the order backwards. I'd put sugary snacks followed by fried foods with red meat being the least culprit in that order.
I eat supper kinda late so no need for a snack but if I'm up really late a can of sardines with some rye bread or crackers, and some olives and cheese if I'm really feeling snacky.

I didn't have much choice. I had some stomach issues and the doc put me on a low fat diet which had all those items on the list. :dunno:

Nightly 10.00pm "snack":

100g protein (70% casein, 30% whey) bar, chocolate & vanilla flavored, followed by a liquid chaser comprised of 5g l-glutamine and 5g l-arginie ketoglutarate. 2-3 x/week I'll add ~3g BCAAs.

Earlier this year after loosing weight due to an illness I was doing something similar but in protein shake form. 25g casein protein, 25g whey protein, 14g protein in lactose free milk with a "5&5" of L-glutamine and L-Arginine. About 480 calories every night at bedtime. The same in a thermos on the nightstand If I got hungry during the night. I don't know if you can consider this a late night snack but combine the right flavors and it's quite tasty.

Back
Top Bottom