Best looking Amplifier - Your pick??

Looks like am the only one.Yes these are receivers.They all do the same thing.Cost you money
Joe

Attachments

• 100_1164.jpg
    100_1164.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Best Looking Amp?

An amp that functions correct and sounds right. An amp that you can listen to and say to yourself "That's it, that's the right sound. That amp sounds great". Live Alive. Real.

To me it 'doesn't really matter' what kind it is, who made it, what model it is...just does it 'sound right'. I don't even really care about power. Only: 'Does it sound right'.

If it sounds right to me, and it sounds right to my friends who also are looking for the same 'alive live real' type sound, then it just confirms to me that it is right, but I knew that anyway. Know what I mean? If it sounds right...it looks right!

(and if it is over 30 years old...it even looks better!)

joekid: those European black face Sansui reciever models are nice! Wish I had one! :>)
kevinflippo: that's pretty outrageous!!!!!!! Totally outrageous.

I really do like the 'looks' of the 50s and 60s amps, all companies. And the big analog meters on the front are nice. Always dug that, 'real' action.

Last edited:
Hmmm ...

I'm kinda fond of my Pioneer SA-8800...

I'm fond of mine too - real attached to it, but prettiest out there, I don't think so? I'm a giant fan of blue flouroscan. My Scotts are flouro along with my Pio stuff. But ...

The one that really sticks in my mind is an Onkyo - all rosewood and gold trim with Vu meters and such. Only saw it once and I can't find it, but will edit and post if I can. Absolutely gorgeous :)

Last edited:
Denon POA-8000
Startup sequence from 7 was great too!
Performance well not as good as they look but still very good on my Altecs.

They've already been mentioned, but I love those amps with the giant analog meters, like the Onkyo Grand Integra, Technics SE-A5, and others. Having said that, an honourable mention must go out to the Harman Kardon HK-870. Understated minimalism.

Attachments

• HK-870.jpg
    HK-870.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 16
For simple and affordable elegance, I'd nominate the Marantz 1060 in a oiled walnut case.

Nice warm sound at 30 wpc and within reach for just about everyone.

They certainly sold a bunch!

Just about any SS Mc with big blue power meters is my choice for looks. The newer, the better, for me.

I do think about replacing my modest Emotiva combo with a Mc sometimes... would have to be an integrated amp, though, for my cabinet. The cabinet definitely must stay, due to WAP and SAP (Self-Approval Factor). Have a growing kitty about to hit another growth spurt this week... McIntosh and Klipschorns, certainly a classic combination. It could happen... not convinced it would be a huge sonic upgrade - I like the XSP-1 - but the amp section should be an upgrade... whaddaya think? Worth the trouble? (Having to rearrange components in the cabinet is almost as big a factor as the expense, for us... I'm not being hyperbolic, either.)

These things are beautiful, in a masculine deco sort of way. Absolute beasts.

index.php

Back
Top Bottom