Best Looking Motorcycle - 70's

You were saying Doug about owing a CBX Did you find you were limited in going over 100mph because there was no fairing. I was reminded after posting the pic that there was also a CBX in Town with piper exhaust system The bike after a certain amount of revs would Scream The sound was quite something

It was tiring at sustained high speed, yes. But not so much I think as a V Max because IIRC they had a semi easy rider seating position which doesn't lend itself to high speed at all, though I never rode one. I do recall that after fitting Pirrelli Phantom tyres to the CBX it would develop a persistent and worsening weave at 110mph. Thing is the same tyres did the same thing to a Suzuki GS1000L I also had at that time.

(
It was tiring at sustained high speed, yes. But not so much I think as a V Max because IIRC they had a semi easy rider seating position which doesn't lend itself to high speed at all, though I never rode one. I do recall that after fitting Pirrelli Phantom tyres to the CBX it would develop a persistent and worsening weave at 110mph. Thing is the same tyres did the same thing to a Suzuki GS1000L I also had at that time.

Thanks for that Doug .

Attachments

• star-motorcycles-vma-9_800x0w.jpg
    star-motorcycles-vma-9_800x0w.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 13
making me wonder why cut off point pushing a ton ?

Just wind drag Pete, it gets tiring just hanging on and it becomes particularly noticeable from 100mph upwards. The two bikes I mentioned are the last two un-faired bikes I ever bought apart from off-roaders.

I also had a fairing for my kz1300 and air shocks front and back.It was a much faster rig than the cbx though the Honda looked great .Top speed was north of 140 .She was great for interstates where you could loaf along at 90 all day if you desired.

forgot all about the sabre.They were a nice ride.Same hp figures as the kz1300.Makes me wonder what the top end on a kz was.

Last edited:
I always loved the look of the 70's BMW R90S. Custom paint, right from the factory in Daytona Orange or Silver Smoke.

View attachment 1176230

Had a very nice silver smoke model for awhile.
Even then it was worth too much to keep. I think I got about $6000 for it in the days when a standard 90/6 could be had for $1500.
Still have a '79 R 100RS [a few more horsepower and taller gearing] with an R 90S fairing mounted....even though I no longer ride.
Stock seats were always too tall on Beemers. Totally screwed the center of gravity.
Was never even remotely happy with the handling until I made a low "pad" type seat, dropped/improved the front forks, and jacked up the rear suspension.
18in wheels helped a lot too.
Altogether, I probably put 100,000 miles on the damn things.
On the highway, those old air-cooled flat twins were marvelous.

Always thought winning the Superbike title on an R 90/S was clear proof of Reg Pridmore's God-given talent.

Last edited:
round-case Ducati 750 Sport. 'nuff said.

10-1974-Ducati-750-sport-wm.jpg

Actually, I'd vote for the mist green/silver 750 SS model.
Paint jobs weren't the best, but still, what a looker.
ducati-750ss.jpg

Despite the squared-off styling, always liked the Moto Guzzi LeMans as well.
The stock seats were the most painful I've ever encountered.

lv18-f21-8-1516054475782.jpg

Some nice looking bikes here.

Bought my 1983 Yamaha XJ550 brand new (I realize it is just past the 70's). Still own it, and still going strong, daily commuter to work in the summer.

Unrestored "survivor." Attached are recent pictures.

3589.jpg
69916.jpg
3598.jpg

Back
Top Bottom