Best Looking Receiver of all Time

Luxman R-1120. I don't own one, but I've been told they sound even better than they look.
1e881a435c.jpg
Kinda has a Sansui G- look to it

Another new favorite of mine:
A black faced Superscope R-1220 I picked up locally. Always liked silver knobs on a black face. Doesn't sound too bad either! :rockon:IMG_20161009_161819.jpg

I have not gone through all 42 pages...;) But to me, one of the nicest looks is the B & O Beomaster that has those old-school slide-rule kinda controls. Just classy to me, don't know if the piece was any good or not...

Edit...the Beomaster 3000-2 on the second page was not what I was thinking of, though not a bad look.

Also, anyone remember the Allied/Radio Schack 495 receiver? Every GI that came into the store back in the early 70's said it was classic Pioneer. If so, I need one, LOL!

Asking what is the best looking receiver is like asking a polygamist who is his best looking wife. For me I really like my Sansui G 9000 it almost resembles Fine Jewelry. But I have lots of Runners up. honorable mentions are my Yamaha CR 3020 and my Pioneer SX 1980 and my hi Tachi Sr 2004 my optomica sa 5905 my Fisher RS 1080 my Marantz 2385 plus many more, okay I'm done

Last edited:
Asking what is the best looking receiver is like asking a polygamist who is his best looking wife. For me I really like my G 9000 it almost resembles Fine Jewelry. But I have lots of Runners up. honorable mentions are my Yamaha CR 3020 and my Pioneer SX 1980 and my hi Tachi Sr 2004 my optomica sa 5905 my Fisher RS 1080 my Marantz 2385 plus many more, okay I'm done

WOW a lot of Monsters in your house!!! You may need Van Helsing to visit!!

This thread forced me to buy a new receiver.
Found a Sony STR 6050 locally and man.... I'm sold. IMO this line of Sony's looks like something that could have been produced today to revive the vintage look. Very modern styling with clean lines and simple layout. And I can't get over the substantial switches on this thing. Sony has taken my top spot for asthetics over the old yamahas.
Always nice to see vintage Sony around here. They made a number of excellent receivers in the 60's and 70's that also looked great.

Luxman R-1120. I don't own one, but I've been told they sound even better than they look.
1e881a435c.jpg
I've got an R-1120a, which looks the same as the 1120, except the peak level LEDs are rectangular instead of round. A few pictures of mine are attached. To me, doesn't look quite as nice as the Marantz 2226B or Pioneer SX-1010 I once had, but its looks are growing on me. The rosewood veneer cabinet is nice. In terms of sonics, it tops every receiver I've both owned and heard (and I've owned and heard many) by a wide margin. It addition to its huge amount of power, it is very smooth sounding yet detailed at all volume levels. Of course, "best sounding" is subjective.... All published specs (power amp, preamp and tuner sections) on the 1120/1120a were VERY conservative and properly restored ones will exceed them by a lot, just as new ones did in the seventies. The TVK writeup on it is here. The second best sounding receiver I've had would be the Sony STR-6800SD.

My own vote for best looking receiver would probably go to the Sony STR-7065. I have had a number of vintage Sony receivers, but not that one.

Lux1.jpg Lux2.jpg Lux4.jpg

Since there is so little representation for Onkyo in this thread I will offer up the TX-3000 as a fine-looking receiver that sounds even better than it looks.
My pics of mine have not worked out well, so here is one that Google Images returns:
maxresdefault.jpg

NIce - bought mine new in 1982 and still have it. Had to replace the volume pot a couple of years ago, but luckily I found an NOS on the bay. Mine was an upgrade from my SX 680. BTW that treble sure is hot!

The Fisher 400 has generally stood out to me as a looker. Though honestly their tube era and a lot of their first gen solid state gear looks good to me.

photo-58119.jpg

Also from that era the HH Scott 399 (and a number of their other receivers with that overall design). They stand out as being pretty unique as far as receiver designs go. Also wish magic eye tubes had stuck around on receivers longer.

scott_stereomaster_03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom