Best Option for Yamaha Preamp: C2 v C2a v C4 v C6 ...???

Best Yamaha preamp: C2 v C2a v C4 v C6 -- for vinyl and CD playback.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

plresults

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi,

What are the puts and calls on the subject preamps for someone with a turntable and CD as inputs? Sound quality, reliability, repairability and so on. No Yamaha amp yet, but likely an M2, M4 or B2...

Last edited:
Don't discount the C-80 and C-85 (the two are basically the same). I have done many comparisons between my C-80 and my C-4 and I don't believe the C-80 gives up anything in the sound quality department. In addition the C-80 has some very nice features such as inverted pre-outs, which the others on your list do not have. I'm not big into vinyl so I can't comment on that aspect.

Swap out a C-2x for the C2a and I have then entire list above. I would put the C-2x above everything but I get that they are hard to find. Once it had the necessary repairs, my C-4 sound became a wonderful creature and I would say my C-6 is "pretty good". My C-2 is residing at my techs place because we are deciding if it needs a recap. While physically in nice shape, it just sounds very dull and sort of "black and white" (like the case).

Don't discount the C-80 and C-85 (the two are basically the same). I have done many comparisons between my C-80 and my C-4 and I don't believe the C-80 gives up anything in the sound quality department. In addition the C-80 has some very nice features such as inverted pre-outs, which the others on your list do not have. I'm not big into vinyl so I can't comment on that aspect.

Thanks! If you have any info on where I can locate an M2 in minty cosmetic shape, I'd be greatly appreciative! S

Thank you! If you know of a C4 for sale, I'd be very appreciative for the referral. I am also seeking an M2.

C-2x is hard to beat but they can be stupid expensive and may not be worth the price over a reasonably priced C-2a. I agree that the C-80 and C-85 are a great value.

Last edited:
nothing wrong with latter version I have cx-2. Sounds great to me. I passed on Cx-1 as Yamaha tech person told me there were issues with cold solder joints,

I have a line on a CX-2 for $300, and a deal for an M70/C70 for $500 together. Assuming all are in fine cosmetic and operating condition, how would you play that?

Back
Top Bottom