Best recommendation for vintage receiver?

kitt1987

Looking for a reputable (high quality) DAC to play back higher rez files from my PC on to a vintage receiver. Nothing that will break that bank but am of the understanding that there are a number of budget based DAC's that might do the trick for me?

The Topping D30 is a solid choice that I have used with a few different Vintage systems. Highly Recommended for under $100.

Eric

I keep hearing about the D30 and it's comparisons to the Schiit Modi series. I know the Schiit hardware is good hardware (I use their Mani pre amp) but had wondered if you truly get comparable performance between the D30 and the Schiit?

I have a non MB modi.
At some point I'd like to move up the product line. I've never heard a D30.
Nice to know you have some options in the market your in

D30 does DSD and has good XMOS.

Really a lot of bang for the buck, quality components inside. http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/d30/index.htm

Neutral reference type sound, no filters or "Signature" sound. Pairs well with most amps/receivers.

I can listen to mine all day long with no fatigue. Jazz/Blues/Classic etc.

Edit: Paired with a CCA it's a great WiFi Streaming solution for not much coin at all.
It's a great time to be a music lover :)

Eric

Thanks Eric,
I'm torn between the D30 and the Modi2....decisions decisions...but you're right it is a great time to be a music lover! Finally getting around to listening to some of my MOFI LP releases in the meantime!

Thanks Eric,
I'm torn between the D30 and the Modi2....decisions decisions...but you're right it is a great time to be a music lover! Finally getting around to listening to some of my MOFI LP releases in the meantime!

I have a Modi Multibit as well as the D30. They are comparable and it would be difficult for me to choose one over the other.

Many would consider the Modi MB to be an upgrade to the Modi2. Watch for the massdrop if you go with the D30

I finally made the decision and took the plunge yesterday and ordered the Modi2 Multibit. Based on everything I scoured over I decided to give it a try plus the fact it is US made as well.
Hey Poultrygeist what do you mean by "massdrop?"

I finally made the decision and took the plunge yesterday and ordered the Modi2 Multibit. Based on everything I scoured over I decided to give it a try plus the fact it is US made as well.
Hey Poultrygeist what do you mean by "massdrop?"

https://www.massdrop.com/
It's an interesting concept, but can be highly addictive. I had to unsubscribe.

Enjoy your Modi2. That one was on my shortlist as well, but I went for the Topping D30. I bought from eBay for a price comparable to MassDrop.

I also have a CambridgeAudio DacMagic but I think the Topping D30 is just as good, or better, for one-third the price.

Ha! Thanks McBru, I briefly looked at massdrop and decided against it. In the last year and a half I have spent far more on equipment/audio than I have all Millenium and to keep the lady happy I better forgo any other purchases for the foreseeable future! :)

Have to admit I'm very underwhelmed with the Multibit Modi 2 so far. Have spent the day with it and it is very top end heavy (very digital sounding) with very little on the bottom end. I think this might be going back. I got better performance out of my old Kenwood VR 6050 receiver when my PC was hooked up to it. Love the sound of my Pioneer SX 1050 but if this is the type of sound output from the Modi, I might have to go back to the Kenwood until I can get something else.

Have to admit I'm very underwhelmed with the Multibit Modi 2 so far. Have spent the day with it and it is very top end heavy (very digital sounding) with very little on the bottom end. I think this might be going back. I got better performance out of my old Kenwood VR 6050 receiver when my PC was hooked up to it. Love the sound of my Pioneer SX 1050 but if this is the type of sound output from the Modi, I might have to go back to the Kenwood until I can get something else.

I have a D30 hooked up to a Kenwood KRF-V5060D, and the difference between the AKM chip in the Kwood and the D30 is big.

The D30 sounds really good. Really really good.

Eric

That's pretty unusual. Most of these modern DAC's sound very good and not too different.

Could you be overloading the input of your receiver? A lot of DAC's have higher output voltages than older receivers are used to handling. Sometimes these receivers have a gain stage before the volume control that can be overloaded even with the volume turned way down. You might try it on a different piece of gear before sending it back.

Tom

That's pretty unusual. Most of these modern DAC's sound very good and not too different.

Could you be overloading the input of your receiver? A lot of DAC's have higher output voltages than older receivers are used to handling. Sometimes these receivers have a gain stage before the volume control that can be overloaded even with the volume turned way down. You might try it on a different piece of gear before sending it back.

Tom

Don't you think his Kenwood VR 6050 5.1 should be able to handle a modern DAC? It's an AVR, not exactly a Mid Century tube amp.

Eric

Range of staying within "not breaking the bank"? Tube/solid state?

Depth of pockets really vary on AK.

Just went back and saw y'all bought already...hope your buy will be up to your expectations.

Q

Last edited:
Eric - yes, it should. I made the assumption that it was an SX 1050 being driven by the Schiit.

That's correct, I retired the Kenwood after I obtained and serviced the SX1050. I used the analog line out from the soundblaster card into the SX but the receiver was picking up a lot of the noise generated by the PC so I invested in the DAC which helped immensely. However, the sound is just very anemic out of the Modi. Playing vinyl or the radio this receiver sound amazing. Full range all the way around. It hits hard in the right areas but I am really considering if the Modi is just a bad match up for it. I've tried the various inputs on the receiver with the Modi and am getting the same results. It has been left turned on for the last 32+ hours (meaning the Modi) so I am not sure how much longer I should expect to hear things break in.
For the record I also use Schiit's mani preamp between my turntable and receiver and love the results. I guess maybe I had too high of expectations for the Modi but I will continue to give it a couple more days.

That's correct, I retired the Kenwood after I obtained and serviced the SX1050. I used the analog line out from the soundblaster card into the SX but the receiver was picking up a lot of the noise generated by the PC so I invested in the DAC which helped immensely. However, the sound is just very anemic out of the Modi. Playing vinyl or the radio this receiver sound amazing. Full range all the way around. It hits hard in the right areas but I am really considering if the Modi is just a bad match up for it. I've tried the various inputs on the receiver with the Modi and am getting the same results. It has been left turned on for the last 32+ hours (meaning the Modi) so I am not sure how much longer I should expect to hear things break in.
For the record I also use Schiit's mani preamp between my turntable and receiver and love the results. I guess maybe I had too high of expectations for the Modi but I will continue to give it a couple more days.

Did you try the Modi with the Kwood? Might be better synergy there. I thought you were using it already with the Modi, sorry for the confuson.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom