Best small receiver (physically)

I had one of the little Technics cassette decks for a while (dump find) -- it was a nice, well-behaved little piece of hardware.

EDIT: heh. found a photo.

upload_2018-8-13_11-54-24.png

Last edited:
The Fisher 202 Futura is pretty small at around 15.4 x 4.4 x 14.3 inchs puts out around 20 watts per channel. It's from just after the buyout and probably one of the last to be branded "The Fisher." They're not all that sought after and fairly inexpensive as a result.

04c2d5f66aecd3969523257a2c5b7fbc.jpg

Last edited:
You had me curious so I did a little searching. You may want to look for some of the Denon M series I found this page on the 16 watt UD-M30 and on the back panel it appears to have pre-outs. I checked and they also had a UD-M50 at 30 wpc appears to have pre-outs too. They do not indicate any filtering but manual shows expectation of being hooked to external powered subwoofers. Similar M line units may still be manufactured.

https://kenrockwell.com/audio/denon/ud-m30.htm

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/denon/ud-m50.shtml

There was an AWIA mini rack system in the 80's that was about the size you want , I purchased one for father using my employee discount. If I remember correctly it was all separates, amp , preamp, cassette, tuner. It wasn't exactly cheap, but was nicely made, all silver.
I actually have that Aiwa C22 preamp and P22 power amp that you are talking about and you are right it is very nice and compact; I have been using it for all of these years in a smaller room and it is still working great; it was sold from 1979 to 1982. But I don't have the tuner so I have been looking at the Denon UDRA-M10 as it does include a tuner.
Here is a nice picture of the Aiwa 22 system you bought for your dad.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/aiwa-Aiwa_22.html
I went ahead and bought a nice looking Denon UDRA-M10 in good working condition today that I found on Ebay for $68 including shipping after reading the reviews on it that were very positive.
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Denon+D-M10+Personal+Component+System.-a076996078
http://www.audioreview.com/product/other/mini-systems/denon/d-m10.html
That Aiwa system is getting pretty old now and the Denon UDRA-M10 came out around 2000 so it is 20 years newer than the Aiwa and it has the tuner which I needed and it just like the way it looks, see pictures here:
http://www.hifi4sale.net/t12681-denon-d-m10-personal-component-system-used-sold
The only specifications I have been able to find on the Denon UDRA-M10 are: Frequency Response 10Hz to 100kHZ + or - 8db and rated output power 40W + 40W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, T.H.D. 10%. I can't believe that 10% is correct though probably suppose to be .1%
http://manualmachine.com/denon/ud-m10/200047-service-manual/

So if anyone has more specifications on the Denon UDRA-M10 please post here:
The Aiwa C22 specs are:
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz + or - .2db

Total harmonic distortion: 0.1%

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 75dB (MM), 80dB (line)

Channel separation: 48dB (MM), 45dB (line)

My only complaint is that the Denon UDRA-M10 doesn't have any preamp outputs but the price of $68 seemed to good to pass up.

There was an AWIA mini rack system in the 80's that was about the size you want , I purchased one for father using my employee discount. If I remember correctly it was all separates, amp , preamp, cassette, tuner. It wasn't exactly cheap, but was nicely made, all silver.

Aiwa 22b 006.jpg
If ever want to get rid of
If ever want to get rid of the Awia C22/P22, keep me in mind.

the Awia C22/P22, keep me in mind.
OK I'll keep you in mind. The C22 front panel is very nice but the case cover has been painted black. The P22 has been completely painted black and is missing one of the plastic end pieces on the speaker on/off switch, see picture. I got an email from the person that I bought the Denon UDRA-M10 from today, saying he would include the matching UDCM-M10 3-Disc Changer also for $20 more; he said it was in good working condition. I didn't really want the CD changer but for only $20, I told him to go ahead and send it, so $88 for both units seems pretty cheap if everyrthing is working. I'll have to see how the Denon UDRA-M10 sounds compared to the Aiwa C22/P22 combination. So does your dad still have the Aiwa 22 system that you bought for him?

Last edited:
It looks like you have been using audiokarma for awhile. I was curious as to how do you get your picture to appear with your text instead of as an attachment?

Like this...

Click "upload a file" and when you upload it, you'll have the option to insert whole image or thumbnail.
upload_2018-8-14_21-25-13.png

1967 scotch tenzar allied.jpg

or
you can just copy & paste an image directly (from another website or another app, etc.)

upload_2018-8-14_21-27-8.png
or you can use a file hosting service such as Flikr.

DSC_9753 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

It looks like you have been using audiokarma for awhile. I was curious as to how do you get your picture to appear with your text instead of as an attachment?
Thanks for the help, that was easier that I thought it would be; have a great day. The guy I bought the Denon stuff from lives in Phoenix Arizona and shipped it today. I live in San Jose, CA so it shouldn't take that long to arrive.

View attachment 1259169
So does your dad still have the Aiwa 22 system that you bought for him?
No, after his passing, the second wife had it at their house, but after she passed, it wasn't at the house when I went to clean it out. I think her kids probably made off with it.:( It too bad because it was the complete system, cassette and all and it was in perfect condition.

You had me curious so I did a little searching. You may want to look for some of the Denon M series I found this page on the 16 watt UD-M30 and on the back panel it appears to have pre-outs. I checked and they also had a UD-M50 at 30 wpc appears to have pre-outs too. They do not indicate any filtering but manual shows expectation of being hooked to external powered subwoofers. Similar M line units may still be manufactured.

Wow that is great work, that is what I was looking for and the links are great too.
Thanks

Thanks for the help, that was easier that I thought it would be; have a great day. The guy I bought the Denon stuff from lives in Phoenix Arizona and shipped it today. I live in San Jose, CA so it shouldn't take that long to arrive.
We lived in Milpitas for a couple of years (1989-91) :)
My first "real" job was in Sunnyvale... seems like another lifetime looking back from now.

No, after his passing, the second wife had it at their house, but after she passed, it wasn't at the house when I went to clean it out. I think her kids probably made off with it.:( It too bad because it was the complete system, cassette and all and it was in perfect condition.

That's too bad but it sounds like your dad got a lot of enjoyment out of it for all of those years until his death. I'll probably hang on to mine but I did see a C22 preamp, P22 amplifier, and R22 tuner for sale on Ebay for $225 includding shipping however the tuner isn't working.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-AIWA-MICRO-MINI-STEREO-Power-Amplifier-C22-Amplifier-P22-Tuner-R22-RARE/253811825901?hash=item3b185d1ced:g:~I0AAOSwuqJbcJj4&_sacat=0&_nkw=aiwa+22&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

I searched the completed listings and found that a Aiwa 22 system sold last month for $235; wish I had found this site earlier that would have been perfect for you to buy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Aiwa-...g_cvip=true&nordt=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is a video of the complete Aiwa 22 system that you might enjoy.

Last edited:
We lived in Milpitas for a couple of years (1989-91) :)
My first "real" job was in Sunnyvale... seems like another lifetime looking back from now.

Thanks for your help on how to get my picture to show. You said you use to live in Milpitas but didn't say where you lived now. I noticed you had over 52,000 messages so you have been on here for awhile. I can't believe it took me so long to find this site but the people here are really helpful a good source of information.

Wow that is great work, that is what I was looking for and the links are great too.
Thanks

I looked at both the

I looked at both the UD-M50 and the UD-M30 that you recommended and they both have stereo preamp outputs. II like the UD-M30 better because it is only 12.8 inches deep while the UD-M50 is 15 inches deep. The UD-M30 is only 3.7 inches tall, while the UD-M50 is 5.3 inches tall. Also the UD-M50 has the the more complicated 3 CD player while the UD-M30 has the simpler single CD changer which I think would be more reliable. I'm not to concerned about the less power of the UD-M30 as I plan to use a separate power amp connected to the preamp outputs. The UD-M30 and UD-M50 have a very clever switch on the preamp outputs that allows you to switch them to mono in case you want to use them to drive a single powered subwoofer. I thought maybe I could also use a UD-M31 which is suppose to be an updated UD-M30 but oddly the UD-M31 gets rid of the stereo preamp outputs and only gives you a single mono preamp out to use with a subwoofer. Looks like I just missed two UD-M30s that sold on August 9th and July 25th for $60 including shipping. There is only one for sale now for $125 so I'll just wait until hopefully another shows up in the $60 range. I think you are right about no filtering on those preamp outputs as I got this from the kenrockwell link that you sent me:

"It also has a stereo preamp output to connect to a much larger power amp, or crossovers and power amplifiers for a multi-amplified system, or direct connection to powered monitors."

Another use of the stereo preamp output is for connection of self-powered stereo subwoofers, driving the main speakers from the UD-M30's own amplifier. In other words, for a very simply high-performance system, drive the main speakers full-range, and set the subwoofers to cross-in at the speaker's natural cutoff point.

The preamp output also may be switched to mono if you have only one subwoofer.

But thanks again for helping find exactly what I was looking for; great work.

I really like and use the Yamaha Pianocraft series as my bench receiver. I use the e400 which is pictured here, but they have a few different mini models. I keep the matching CD player on my bench as well.

View attachment 1253703

Dan

Another vote for the Yamaha E mini's more for the speakers than for the receiver itself. I have been running the NX-E100 speaker from the E100 series mini and it is good enough to stand apart from the bundle.

Thanks

Hopefully one of those will work out for you. Glad I could help.

Just now seeing your posts. Right now working the night owl shift.

I did a thorough search on all new and old models of receivers from Aiwa, Onkyo, Teac, Sony, Denon, and Pioneer that are about 8" wide and 12" deep and amazingly, the one that has stereo preouts you found, the Denon UD-M30 is the only one ever made that has stereo preamp outputs; good detective work on your part. All the rest either have no preouts or only one mono preout. I bought a Denon UDRA-M10 on Ebay for $68 and the seller told me for another $20 he would include the matching UDCM-M10 3-CD player. Well they arrived today and I was very surprised to find they both looked like near brand new, not a single scratch anywhere. I hooked them up to some Design Acoustics PS-CV speakers that I had and they sound sweet. It's 40W + 40W amp seems plenty powerful drive these speakers; I got the volume control set to the 9 o'clock position for normal listening. I'm impressed there is no noise from the volume control when adjusting the volume and when I pause a CD, you can't hear any background hiss coming from the speakers. I didn't really expect much from a CD player that old but all three of its drawers open smoothly with out any hesitation, that's much better that my expensive Sony CDP-605ESD which I had to replace the belts on when the drawer would only open intermittently. Besides looking like brand new, the CD player played my CDs perfectly; they also sounded very good. The only thing I noticed was the CD player is a little sensitive to vibrations as I had it on the floor and when hit my knee on the floor close to it, it quit playing for a few seconds before resuming play. So even though it only has one mono preout for a subwoofer and it doesn't have the stereo preouts that I wanted, I'll go ahead and keep it as it is in such great condition and the amp seems pretty powerful to drive my speakers and also sounds very nice. So I'm very happy with my purchase and that's a lot cheaper than current model the D-M40 has a MSRP of $479 and is rated at 30W + 30W.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/compactsystem/mini/dm40

I don't have a manual but I figured out how to set the clock as follows:
You set the time by pressing the Display button, then the Tunning up and down buttons to change the number, and Memory button confirm it.

I figured out how to set the presets for each station as follows:
Tune in the station that you want t preset then press the Memory button. use the Tunning up and down buttons to assign a number and then press the Memory button again to confirm it. The only problem is I haven't figured out how to recall a station that I have preset. If anyone has a UDRA-M10 please let me know what the trick is to recalling a station that has been preset. I'm thinking maybe you need the remote to recall the preset stations so I just bought one on Ebay and hopefully that will allow me to recall the stations that I have preset.

Here is a picture of the Denon UDRA-M10 and the UDCM-M10 they make a very attractive looking pair.
Denon UDRA-M10.jpg

Last edited:

By the way I did find a very nice review on the Denon UDRA-M10 mini-receiver here:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Denon+D-M10+Personal+Component+System.-a076996078

At the time of this review from 2000 for the Denon UDRA-M10 with two Mission 731i speakers, it was selling for $1000.
At the end of the review the reviewer said that not many hi-fi salons will want to sell this $1000 system that sounds as good as their more expensive entry level systems. I'm very happy; it sounds much better that I had expected so I can get buy without having those stereo preouts as the built in amp sounds pretty darn good.

Back
Top Bottom