best sounding 8 track player

I can see it. I will be getting a player for my son soon- he is exploring all tape formats.

So I am watching on rec's too.

Without trying to sound too negative, what is the fascination with 8 track players? This is a format that can never sound all that good, due to the lubrication on the back of the tape, which makes it so the tape will slip somewhat on the capstan and pinchroller and the lube gets on the heads, preventing good tape to head contact. Also as the tape is wound back into it's pack, it is continually slipping against itself, continually self destructing. They run at 3.75 IPS so you never get good recording quality. The head is moveable so the alignment is never precise. So why would you want to use them?

Nostalgia. I did not own one then- I was the cassette guy in my group of friends. But there is something for me about the clunking, the hiss, the other shortcomings. I also listen to unrestored "Golden Age Of Radio" programs for the same reason- the quality fits the era and the equipment that I recall.

Yours in fidelity (or not),
Tyler

Without trying to sound too negative, what is the fascination with 8 track players? This is a format that can never sound all that good, due to the lubrication on the back of the tape, which makes it so the tape will slip somewhat on the capstan and pinchroller and the lube gets on the heads, preventing good tape to head contact. Also as the tape is wound back into it's pack, it is continually slipping against itself, continually self destructing. They run at 3.75 IPS so you never get good recording quality. The head is moveable so the alignment is never precise. So why would you want to use them?

8 track is still cool. :D Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7tABHTbsvRU#t=23s

Back in the day my brother in law had an Akai CR 8008 track player. I used to hook it up to my system and I remember it sounding pretty good. My own source at the time was fairly competent consisting of a BIC 960 turntable and Shure V15 III.

Ok, so 8 track is the new 78 record. I get it. I collect acoustically recorded 78's. They sound pretty awful, but it's the music on them I'm interested in.

Several better-than-average 8 track units:

Akai CR-80D, CR-81D. Not so much the GXR-82D or 83D.

Almost any Wollensak except the very first one (the 8050). My article on these is here:

http://www.8trackheaven.com/archive/whatwoll.html

(Note that the email shown is no longer correct)

Most Pioneers, i.e. the HR-99, HR-100

The Superscope TD28, TD48, TDR820 and TDR830 (which, despite some people's insistence, are NOT Marantz)

Sony TC-228, an excellent unit, unlike their first effort, the TC8

As a rule, recorders sound better than playback-only decks, even if you don't intend to record with them.

There are lots of other decent units (as 8 tracks go) and I'd be happy to comment on a specific unit you come across.

BTW, my experience has been that the stand-alone Panasonic decks are not very good compared to others.

While I respect your right to an opinion, I'm guessing you've never considered the impact of the 8 track. Originally designed as a car-only format, it quickly found its way into home use. At a time when the choices for music in the car consisted of AM radio (FM not yet being universally available), the tape cartridge meant freedom of choice for young listeners. Yes, there were the rather silly car record players, and even the 4 track cartridge, but the 8 track was the medium that gave kids a choice of music. (Cassettes weren't popular in cars for at least another five years after 8 tracks).

Your comments on lube getting on the heads are irrelevant; so does oxide! As far as "continually self-destructing", I have many well-played 8 tracks that still play as fine as when new, 40+ years down the road. No, it's not a perfect format - but it wasn't intended to be.

Why would I want to use them? Because they're fun! Just today I've been listening to a visually beat-up copy of J.Geils "Love Stinks" and I'm amazed at how good it sounds. I've got plenty of crappy-sounding tapes, but this one is exceptional. To paraphrase Mark Twain, the reports of the 8 track's inferiority are greatly exaggerated...

Last edited:
8 tracks LOOK AWESOME...!

They're a window to the past....and make me smile with memories everytime I see one!
(thanks for the info Tumbleweed)

elgin-portable-8-trk-stereo.jpg

Look for a quadraphonic player. They are designed to handle the much longer and heavier two program tapes. Bigger motor and heavier flywheel usually. Play quad and normal stereo tapes. Dirt cheap since there's not a lot of demand these days. Learn how to take the carts apart and repair/lube them and you'll have lots of good music for little money. Quad tapes are a pretty unique experience too.

I had an 8-Track player in my van in the mid 90's. When people would ask what it was I'd tell'm "an anti-theft music system". :D

While it's true that some tapes can sound decent it's really just a nostalgia thing for me. My Panasonic isn't working, I'll probably buy another unit one of these days. Not a priority though.

Larry, have you ever seen any of the last Wollensaks (the CTR models)?

I need an 8050 and an 8080 to complete my collection. And I suppose an 8055 with black meters and an 8060 with white ones to be really complete.

My favorites have always been the HR-99 and HR-100 Pioneers. Radio Shack (Realistic) also made some very nice machines, which I think are really underrated. Especially the TR-802 and TR-803 Dolby models.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom