Best speaker score under $100

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by VINTAGEO, Mar 30, 2015.

1. lokerola

lokerola AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't know anything about them - but I just had to comment that they're beautiful speakers.

2. GordonW

GordonW Speakerfixer Subscriber

Guy I know just got a free pair of Altec A7-500s.

Don't know condition yet, but... yeah.
    :eek2:

Regards,
    Gordon.

lokerola likes this.
  3. lokerola

I just googled those. Dear Lord - those are beasts. I would call those "divorce" speakers. If I came home with those, I would be in divorce court.

enginedr likes this.
  4. tyella

tyella AK Subscriber Subscriber

oooh. I've got just the spot for those babies!
    However, if not divorce speakers, then hernia surgery speakers. But hell, I'd roll the dice for those!

5. lokerola

As long as you don't combine the two, you're good to go - divorce & hernia!

tyella likes this.
  6. GordonW

GordonW Speakerfixer Subscriber

Yeah, there's some hernia-inducing activities that can readily cause divorce... not a good combo :D

Regards,
    Gordon.

tyella and lokerola like this.
  7. 544man

544man Member

Celestion Ditton 25 off craiglist in Vancouver BC for $60. He wanted $40; couldn't do it. I took a chance that they even worked, and they did. My favourites are the Altec/Lansing Altec Model 1 that I am using right now. $35 off CL and they are magnificent! A bit of damage to the veneer on the tops, but the sound is incredible. Also scored some Paradigm 7se from a thrift shop for $17. Incredible speakers after I removed the crud and abuse that was hiding them. There has been others as well. I am currently listening to a pair of ESM-3 that I got for $15. What an incredible little speaker! Going nowhere. And Energy Reference 22, a pair for $25. Needed a little tlc and tightening of one speaker post. Love this hobby!

MarZutra likes this.
  8. noobydoo

noobydoo Active Member

I got a pair of paradigm atom monitor v6 and a pair of atom v1's for 5$ a pair at 2 different garage sales. My all time champion though has to be a near mint pair of thiel model 2's I found at the local dump when I was dropping off some scrap wood. The grills were even lying nearby and for 5 buck worth of material from the local fabric store I recovered them. I also got a pair of technics sbl 100's, near mint but dusty, at a local flea market for 20.

9. noobydoo

noobydoo Active Member

I love vintage stuff. The more obscure the better. Thanks

10. Donkey Karma

Donkey Karma Super Member

No jinxies. If everything goes as planned I will have a nice addition to this list by 3pm tomorrow.

Hopefully TBC

11. 6L6PPP

6L6PPP New Member

Speakerlab model 4 for $50. These are nearly impossible to find in Ohio.

12. MarZutra

MarZutra Addicted Member

I think my best score would be a pair of ESM3 ($7.00 at the Thrift) but sadly I got them home and they had mismatched drivers.... They looked the same however when I opened them up, one was clearly original while the other was 4ohm with a monster magnet. I ordered a pair of Daytons for them from Parts Express - which blew the $100.00 away.... But they were exceptional speakers.
    The other was a pair of Epi M100 that a mate gave me for restoring his Rectilinears for him and I'm very grateful. Hard to beat a pair of M100...imho...lol

13. noobydoo

noobydoo Active Member

Hi. I just picked up a pair of esm 1's in showroom condition for 80's(fair price I thought). I remember them from back in the day and remember they really used to "pop". I've been very disappointed and I'm wondering what your experience is. Do you think they just maybe need a recap, or am I being unfair comparing them a\b to my polk monitors and my paradigms?

14. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, I like my Rectilinears better than my M100s :)

MarZutra likes this.
  15. scoloheros

scoloheros Active Member

I was given some Altec Monterrey Jrs, Epicure M50 for $14.99 and Snell IIs for $14.99. I hit the thrift stores around here pretty hard but it's hard to find this stuff around here. I never buy to re-sell, this stuff is for me!

MarZutra likes this.
  16. OutlawSun

OutlawSun Active Member

KLH 17s paid something like 75 for the pair because both of the cabinets were rough (scratches paint splatter etc). Took them home sanded and oiled them took maybe 15 minutes of work. It's honestly one of those cases where I don't get why the vintage audio shop doesn't just get some Old English and fine grit sandpaper. Would have cost them barely anything and would have nearly doubled the value. Eventually decided to stain them for the heck of it.

IMG_6819.JPG IMG_7174.JPG IMG_7611.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    MarZutra likes this.
  17. MarZutra

MarZutra Addicted Member

Actually, I tend to agree. I really enjoyed listening to his Rectilinear Highboy III as well the 3 way XII I had restored for him.... Enjoy and Happy Valentine's Day to ALL

18. bigcaddy64

bigcaddy64 Member

I think the allure of low priced, older speakers is what drew me into the realm of audio. I frequent lots of estate/garage sales but competition is always steep for vintage audio gear. When i'm not pressured to make a purchase, ill pick up stuff at my leisure.

In the past 6 months, i've acquired the following:

2 pairs of AR2-ax, $75.00 per pair, all 4 needed refoaming/caps
    2 mismatched KLH Model 6's, early production w/ oil caps, $10.00 each, perfect working cond.
    1 Cerwin Vega studio monitor $20.00, works perfect
    1 pair of JBL Lancer 77's, $40.00, refoam/recap and tweeter rebuild. I'm learning off these

I"ve only just started so ill be buying much more in the future.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. cassette

cassette New Member

Spica SC-50s in excellent condition. I won the auction on Shopgoodwill and then did some reading up on them. I was very impressed with their sound and their history!
    A

20. Donkey Karma

Donkey Karma Super Member

Landed these today for a cpl gift certificates to my restaurants. Excited to hear them.

Attached Files: