Best submarine movies

"Operation Pacific". "Submarine Attack" (an Italian film with a very original story plot). Would "The Abyss" count?

Last edited:
Let's face it, there's really only one submarine movie; only the actors change. Each must include:

1. Depth charge scene
2. Torpedoes launched!
3. Water flooding in
4. The Captain is insane scene
5. Hull creaking while sub is below design depth
6. Smoking cigarettes on the conning tower
7. Going through the mined harbor, cables scraping on the hull

One of my favorites is "Up Periscope" with James Garner.

One critic pointed out the Arctic scene in Ice Station Zebra. Nobody is wearing a hat; you can't see frost on their breath. I did love Alistair MacLean's books.

Das Boot is a great and gritty movie, not for the faint of heart.

My list in order of preference (they're all excellent movies however)

Das Boot - saw it in Canada in 1982 - never forgot it - now have director's cut on Blu-ray
The Enemy Below - was hard to find for a while - finally got DVD from Amazon a few years ago - considered an antiwar movie by critics.
Hunt for Red October - Tom Clancy knows how to keep things interesting in the book and the movie doesn't ruin it.
Fantastic Voyage - there are other threads on this as it just came out on Blu-ray, but very good movie - good special effects for the mid 60's.

Fantastic Voyage (1966). Groovy sci-fi.

iu

Let's face it, there's really only one submarine movie; only the actors change. Each must include:

6. Smoking cigarettes on the conning tower

Das Boot is a great and gritty movie, not for the faint of heart.

Don't forget drinking coffee on the conning tower, usually while smoking, as you said.

Das Boot - amen

Das boot, means the boat in germen. The best most realistic Germen u boat flick made in my opiion. Highly recommend seeing this one.
Without a doubt, the best. Do not watch it if you are claustrophobic. This movie puts you right in the sub under less than favorable conditions.

Maudlin self pitying German revisionism.

I really enjoyed Das Boot. I thought that Jurgen Prochnow (I think I spelled it correctly) accurately displayed the fatigue he felt, leading those children to their slaughter. "Good Men. You've GOT to have good men." Ahh man, love that scene.

I know I've read volumes on the Kriegsmarine, but I'd hear why you think so negatively of the film, Tom. I don't think you can "revise" the numbers. Out of 45k boys enlisted in the submarine program, I think 39k didn't come home??

Again, honestly want to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks, Tom.

Back
Top Bottom