Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I was in Anaheim this past week. I had a free day (the stormy one!) so I went to a Goodwill, not much to report though :(

Oh well, I didn't have a rental car so I couldn't go to other stores (without spending a bundle on cab rides). So I went to one near a mall so I could at least look at other stuff.

So I had an oddball find today...

A trackless record with a plain sleeve labeled "Beatles Forever Featuring E.C. Freak" with a track listing handwritten in ink. I've yet to listen to the whole thing, but it appears to be early Beatles with studio chatter. It's really weird, as if I almost expected some kind of odd Beatles/rap mix. Is this a bootleg?

Last edited:
Picked up three Tektronix scopes today: 2225, 2235A, and a TAS465 ($8.99/ea), plus a few CDs, including Pink Floyd's Obscured by Clouds (never even heard of it before). After the 60% off coupon (and a few other things thrown in) I think the total was about $23. They all power on, but that's about all I can say about them at this point. No probes, plus I don't even know how to use them--yet. Another project!

Picked up three Tektronix scopes today: 2225, 2235A, and a TAS465 ($8.99/ea), plus a few CDs, including Pink Floyd's Obscured by Clouds (never even heard of it before). After the 60% off coupon (and a few other things thrown in) I think the total was about $23. They all power on, but that's about all I can say about them at this point. No probes, plus I don't even know how to use them--yet. Another project!
I just started listening to OBC myself and it is quite enjoyable . Nice concise little slabs of psychedelic music .

I was in Anaheim this past week. I had a free day (the stormy one!) so I went to a Goodwill, not much to report though :(

Oh well, I didn't have a rental car so I couldn't go to other stores (without spending a bundle on cab rides). So I went to one near a mall so I could at least look at other stuff.
I live in Riverside County and have never been impressed too much with Orange County thrifts. Plus simply driving around that area can be tiresome because of traffic and red-light cameras. Goodwill is starting to be difficult for scores. I find Salvation Army and the Saver's (Valu Village) better for just fun shopping.

I had a decent weekend for pickups. On Friday while driving to meet a seller from CL I stumbled across a pair of Optimus Mach III and a Pro 4000 on the side of the road. The foams are shot but everything else seems to work. Then I headed to meet a CL seller and picked up 3 Atari 2600's (2 4-switch woodies and a Heavy sixer), 4 joysticks, 2 sets of paddles and about 35 games (5 of which were CIB). Then on Saturday I stopped by a charity yard sale and found a Sony PS-FL1 tray loading turntable. They didn't have set prices on anything and asked for people to make an offer. They said they'd ask you to raise it if it was too low. I was really unsure what to offer since the table looked pretty rough, had stuff rattling around inside (turns out the tray and counter weight were loose), and was untested. I offered them $10 and they seemed very happy with that. When I got home and checked it out, everything seems to be functioning but it certainly needs some TLC. I'll have to get a new stylus for sure, something in the inside is rubbing when the platter turns, everything needs cleaned, and the interconnects will have to be replaced because they are mostly corroded. I've recently decided to get a tray load turntable for my wife's office since where she wants to put it doesn't lend itself well logistically to a traditional turntable. I'd actually been watching for one on eBay and was considering starting a wtb thread. Funny how things work out like that.

Stopped in a local GW over lunch and purchased this clean Pioneer Elite DV-46AV Univeral DVD-A CD SACD player for $10. No remote, but we'll make do. Tested it back home with a CD and SACD while connected to a Marantz 2238 and it's sounding smooth.

PEDVD.jpg

Last edited:
I've gotten a lot of those kind of deals, more than my share. But I've never owned a monster amp. I wanted to play with it.

I totally understand. I have played with a great many different pieces as a direct result of thrifting and doing the kijiji thing!

I still love doing it, although with lower expectations now I've cut my visiting down.

Went to the recycle place today. Got a Sansui 5050 , Denon DP-35F, and a JL Audio 12W6V2-D4 all for $40. The Sansui and Denon were in their original boxes.
Sansui powered up, lit up, meters worked, but no output. The Denon has MA 3002 cartridge with a broken stylus.....might as well throw the Micro Acoustic cartridge away...... finding a stylus is unlikely. The JL woofer was the real winner, just had to clean it up.

Back
Top Bottom