Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I'm gonna quit thrifting, I can't take the heartbreak. I just got beat by 30 seconds to a Pioneer C-90 and M-90 for $10 each.

If it makes you feel better I missed 3 70's lawsuit era japanese guitars yesterday. Probably about £500 worth.
Again, last week a Korg synthesizer worth about £400, could have had it for £30 but someone got there before me. It hurts.

Found a technics with this cartridge on it.
20170220_205551_zpsndtt7kto.jpg

I saw a guy today at the Salvation who brought his laptop into the place, filled a cart with everything electronic and sat there checking prices. Setting aside things that I assume he thought weren't worth his time. He did have a nice Yamaha mixer I would have liked to mess around with, but didn't want to wait for him to look it up.
I don't know why, but it kind of annoyed me. It was like saying excuse me, I want to lock the door and keep everyone out while I pick over the place.

I saw a guy today at the Salvation who brought his laptop into the place, filled a cart with everything electronic and sat there checking prices. Setting aside things that I assume he thought weren't worth his time. He did have a nice Yamaha mixer I would have liked to mess around with, but didn't want to wait for him to look it up.
I don't know why, but it kind of annoyed me. It was like saying excuse me, I want to lock the door and keep everyone out while I pick over the place.

Yeah, that's kinda pushing the limits of propriety there I think. It's one thing to grab a few items and research them real quick to decide, but to bring in your laptop and load up a cart is sort of like going to half price books everyday to sit and read the books without buying.

Btw I noticed your avatar for the first time today. Is that a nipper statue, or is that a real dog in that RCA chair? Either way they are both freaking cool!

Yeah, that's kinda pushing the limits of propriety there I think. It's one thing to grab a few items and research them real quick to decide, but to bring in your laptop and load up a cart is sort of like going to half price books everyday to sit and read the books without buying.

Btw I noticed your avatar for the first time today. Is that a nipper statue, or is that a real dog in that RCA chair? Either way they are both freaking cool!

I almost said, "hey, you know there's an app for that", but figured I'd let drag around his laptop.

Haha, he is real (the dog) Sometimes I wish he wasn't. He likes to pose like Nipper.

IMG_9252.JPG

I have to admit, that would have caught me off guard as well. I am curious what his success rate is doing that.

Admittedly I have been guilty of running off with a piece of interest to another area of the store to look it up on my phone, but it's usually pretty easy to discern items of potential interest from the ocean of nonsense.

I actually think this approach mentioned sounds pretty hilarious, and makes it painfully obvious what you are doing.

Although, I did also see a similar approach one time with someone cruising the record selection, which I guess could pay out, but I dunno...

There was a local chain of used book stores in this area that also had a record section. They would add new stock on Wednesdays. There were three guys that would come together with record price guides under their arms and each had a plastic milk crate. They would burn through the new section and fill up the crates and then go off into a corner and look them up in the guides. After 45 minutes or so they would carry a bunch back and return them to the racks.

It really annoyed me that they tied up the records for that time. I didn't have time to hang around while they did their research, so there was probably a good hundred or so albums I didn't get to look at. I went online to the store's website and complained about the three squatters. A few weeks later I received one of their update emails and it said that the store I was at would no longer be stocking records, but their other stores would. :dunno:

Not audio, but just thought I'd post here in the hope that someone knows something about BMX bikes. It's a GT Performer Pro (at least according to the decals it is) but I have no idea on the vintage of the thing. Found at the recyclers, complete in need of some work, for $50.....

IMG_20170223_150058.jpg

I had a Performer back in the 80s and it was an excellent bike. I'm guessing that is from the late 80s-early 90s. My brother and his friends collect and restore vintage freestyle bikes and they've said there's a small community of other folks that do as well so there is some market for it if you're looking to sell.

Not audio, but just thought I'd post here in the hope that someone knows something about BMX bikes. It's a GT Performer Pro (at least according to the decals it is) but I have no idea on the vintage of the thing. Found at the recyclers, complete in need of some work, for $50.....

View attachment 874246

I wouldn't pay more than $20-$30. There's no real flipping potential. This is not old school BMX from the 70s-80s. Frame is likely made in China; not collectible. One-piece cranks make it a low-end bike, too.

No market for this bike.

I wouldn't pay more than $20-$30. There's no real flipping potential. This is not old school BMX from the 70s-80s. Frame is likely made in China; not collectible. One-piece cranks make it a low-end bike, too.

No market for this bike.

OK thanks for the info. I'm not flipping it anyway, its for me and my son to work on together to fix up for him to ride. He skateboards a lot, but right now he is recovering from knee surgery so we are going to fix this up. Its not all about a flip :)

Back
Top Bottom