Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Another Monday media day at GW's Buy the Pound. I bought a ton of DVD season box sets for my flea market table. I took a picture of the stack after I priced them up. Everything from The X-Files to Orange is the New Black. Then I went next door to the retail store and they had 4 bins of records that had just come in. All the vinyl was VG+ or better.
I have never seen a Tiny Tim record "in the wild". I'm not sure that I could bring myself to listen to it.

Haha it was more of a hill Billy Estate sale, a family member had passed so they where trying to get rid of everything, fortunately for me someone had an interest in speakers

Haha it was more of a hill Billy Estate sale, a family member had passed so they where trying to get rid of everything, fortunately for me someone had an interest in speakers
Man, there's nothing quite like a hifi hillbilly. Some of the most obscure stuff ever can be found in the middle of nowhere. I guess with nothing else to do you invest heavily in things you like. I was visiting the yard sale of an elderly couple, and he had a VERY old Pioneer receiver, I don't recall the model. It was completely tube-amplified. He was the original owner. Unfortunately, it had been forgotten and left outside for the better part of 20 years, I literally found it on the ground. I would have bought it, but he wanted a solid $50 for it and that was just to much for me.

Haha pretty much markshan, the SP 30's where cool to me just because of their age. The Sony's fooled me as being more then they where by a stupid but attractive face plate that attaches to the inside of the grill haha I'll probably end up using them in my bedroom till the next come up lol

Haha pretty much markshan, the SP 30's where cool to me just because of their age. The Sony's fooled me as being more then they where by a stupid but attractive face plate that attaches to the inside of the grill haha I'll probably end up using them in my bedroom till the next come up lol
I speak from the perspective of someone who has a garage full of speakers (most needing "only minor work"). It's been a while since I've bought something to fill an empty spot. Do you have a garage? If you're like me, as you upgrade, those will live there for a while until you get sick of looking at them and send them to the thrift. Kinda like catch and release fishing.

Here are my current bedroom speakers.

Within the last two months, this is what I have found:

Thrift:
Boston HD5 speakers: $2.50 each
Technics SL-D2 (mint) with a mint Stanton 80XE cartridge and D65-2 stylus: $25.00
Brand new cassette tapes--TDK and Maxell (some chrome): 35 cents each.
RBH Model 816 3-way speakers: $5.99 each.
Koss TBSE1 headphones: $9.99

CL:
Pioneer CT-F550: $20
Pioneer CT-F650: $10
Pioneer SX-680: $60
Pioneer SX-424: $40

Family and Friends:
(50) 80s records (VG/VG) (various): Free
Soundesign Receiver/Tape: Free
Soundesign Speakers: Free

That's what I believe is going to happen mark, seeing as how I won't be able to afford my fishing liscence from the mountain of dumpster gold I'll be purchasing haha im HIFI+ and I like it hahaha

Within the last two months, this is what I have found:

Thrift:
Boston HD5 speakers: $2.50 each
Technics SL-D2 (mint) with a mint Stanton 80XE cartridge and D65-2 stylus: $25.00
Brand new cassette tapes--TDK and Maxell (some chrome): 35 cents each.
RBH Model 816 3-way speakers: $5.99 each.
Koss TBSE1 headphones: $9.99

CL:
Pioneer CT-F550: $20
Pioneer CT-F650: $10
Pioneer SX-680: $60
Pioneer SX-424: $40

Family and Friends:
(50) 80s records (VG/VG) (various): Free
Soundesign Receiver/Tape: Free
Soundesign Speakers: Free

RBH makes killer speakers, nice pickup

I'm not familiar with the 816 but I own the 3 way 641se from the signature line and they are LF-limited reference speakers!

RBH most underrated speaker mfg in my book...

Yesterday I picked up a pair of RSL (Rogersound Lab) VS-6a bookshelf speakers for $12.00. They sound great with the Atlantic Technology sub I picked up for $18.00 two weeks ago. These speakers are the real deal. Straight forward design, high quality drivers. They're suspension speaker just like the sub. I'll post pics later. You'd be hard pressed to tell everything wasn't a matching set. Awesome 2.1 system for $30.00. All the drivers including the surrounds are in perfect shape. The speaker on the top left is after touch up on the laminate. the one on the right is how they both looked. Apparently the laminate shrunk at the corners where it wraps over the front. No biggie. Nothing a touch up marker couldn't fix.

20170524_101926.jpg 20170524_101419.jpg

Last edited:
Not exactly audio related, got stood up by craiglist dude at GW parking lot. Was trying to pickup a pair of speaker stands. Found this 32", 1080p TV, and took it home for $40, using it as a monitor for my second PC.
20170525_011530_HDR_zps0bxvkmdv.jpg

I went out today looking for a amp to do my JBL Northridge E60's some justice, the Sony 740P 5.1 receiver they where tied to before made everything tingy and made it feel more cinamatic then live. I hooked them up to the Kenwood tonight and it remedied any issues I had with the Sony. Very warm tones and the high and low controls give me so much versatily to make any song sound the way it was meant to heard.

• Power output: 50 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.09%

Damping factor: 20

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 73dB (MM), 101dB (line)

Output: 150mV (line)

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

Dimensions: 420 x 89 x 279mm

Weight: 6.5kg

Finish: black

Year: 1984

Back
Top Bottom