Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Saw a nice Altec setup today at an estate sale store. Three pieces, very similar to this, except it had tambour doors on the center console.

846a(1).jpg

The speakers, unfortunately, were covered and marked sold. No electronics in the console except an ELAC 40H turntable. They wanted $250 each for the console and TT. I chuckled and left them. Brochures for the speakers and TT were dated 1965 and 1966.

This was in the back room. Pretty cool, but not $75 cool

20170722_134253.jpg

I'm not going to type this all out again, so a copy & paste from the 'Best High-End Thrift Shop Finds' thread!

I've not found anything you would consider 'high-end' in shops in England, but I have bought from a few. Cash Convertors had a few things lately, including:

Technics SB30A Surround speakers for £20
Sony D99 Discman for £30
Sony MDS-S9 minidisc player for £20

From the British Heart Foundation:

Technics SL-PJ44 CD Player £15
Technics ST-X302L Tuner £10
Sony CFS-W500L Boom-box £20

Found quite a bit at car boot sales:

Technics SB-F2 Speakers £10 (love these!)
Technics Cassette Deck (can't remember the model) - FREE!!!
Sony FH-7 MK2 £10 (another favourite!)
Pioneer CLD- D515 Laserdisc Player - £15
Marantz CD5001 cd player - £8, plays a bit funny though, first few tracks sound like its underwater, then ok after that, I must clean the sled one day!
Sony MHC-1600 system £18, another unit that needs new belts in the decks, but all works ok other than that!

Good Old eBay has turned some gems too

Aiwa 22 - £50, granted the tape deck needs new belts and I don't have the pre-amp either
Numerous Sony Walkmans - slightly addicted to these, along with Discmans and Minidisc players too!
Goodmans Mini 2X Speakers - £20 inc postage, I wasn't expecting much of these, how wrong I was! They are tiny with aluminium cases, measuring 188x122x96mm, these things ROCK! I need a new tweeter for one though sadly!

My best was actually given to me for free by a work colleague's father when he updated his system!

Spendor SA-1 Mini Monitors - I will never part with these, they are simply amazing speakers, even though they aren't currently set-up with any particular care!
NAD 3020 Amp - works a treat, connected to the Spendors.
Kenwood 3020 SE amp - I think that's the model number, can't remember off hand, its stashed in a cupboard!

I also bought from a different work colleague
2 x Marantz CD players
2 X Marantz Amps

Their model numbers escape me now, but was £50 for the lot with all remotes and cables!
lucky ass! I bought a sony fh 15r for 250 and it had holes drilled in the transformer and capacitor! Can't even return it! I'll have to find a way to fix it in my free time but there is an fh 7 up for sale right now for $400 by the same person who sent me the broken fh 15r. Can't believe you got yours for 10 euros. Too rare to find at my local goodwill. All I find these days are 2005 portable cd player crapboxes. I did give my Sony CDF 454 to goodwill so I hope whoever got it was happy (It's basically the last retro cool looking boombox by Sony)

Saw a nice Altec setup today at an estate sale store. Three pieces, very similar to this, except it had tambour doors on the center console.

View attachment 972271

The speakers, unfortunately, were covered and marked sold. No electronics in the console except an ELAC 40H turntable. They wanted $250 each for the console and TT. I chuckled and left them. Brochures for the speakers and TT were dated 1965 and 1966.

View attachment 972272

Oooooh...even at $75 that Erector set would be hard to resist. Looks like it's all there, too.

View attachment 972271

View attachment 972272

Those matching consoles can bring surprising prices. I'm surprised that the buyer of the speakers didn't take it.

Those matching consoles can bring surprising prices. I'm surprised that the buyer of the speakers didn't take it.

I don't know for sure that the cabinetry is Altec. Haven't been able to find anything from Altec with tambour door, so could be Barzilay or custom cabinets. Drivers definitely Altec, per the warrantee card spotted inside the ELAC manual.

Found a pair of Avid 102 speakers at GW Buy the Pound for $2.00. They are hefty with butyl surrounds, made in Rhode Island. I'll be trying them out this week.

View attachment 972590 View attachment 972591

I really liked the pair of 102s I once had. Great sound! So much I was tempted to get a pair of 103s but passed because the seller was asking top dollar and they were further away than I wanted to drive that day.

Found this Marantz PM7200 for a whopping 4.99. It's not real high end but sounds pretty damn good. It's going to be a temporary stand in while I recap and do some preventative maintenance on my Pioneer.
Score.The Marantz from this period are pretty good,I have a SR6200 but would rather have yours.

Yamaha NS-670. Just picked these up at Goodwill. Everything works. Wood cabs semi-trashed. Sound great.View attachment 972500 View attachment 972501 View attachment 972502 View attachment 972503 View attachment 972505 View attachment 972508

Found this Marantz PM7200 for a whopping 4.99. It's not real high end but sounds pretty damn good. It's going to be a temporary stand in while I recap and do some preventative maintenance on my Pioneer.

9.99 and 4.99 would make one heck of a system. Great scores!

Specifications
Power output: 95 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 50kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%

Damping factor: 150

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Channel separation: 70dB (line)

Speaker load impedance: 8Ω to 16Ω

Dimensions: 440 x 159 x 374.5mm

Weight: 12.3kg

Year: 2002

Found a pair of Avid 102 speakers at GW Buy the Pound for $2.00. They are hefty with butyl surrounds, made in Rhode Island. I'll be trying them out this week.

View attachment 972590 View attachment 972591

Nice score. What time were you there? I went yesterday also. I was camping up in the White Mountains with a buddy and we hit the per pound on the way home. We were there at around 4.

Anyway, I got a little Ace Tone tube amp for guitar and a copy of Led Zep "The song remains the same" on vinyl.

Nice score. What time were you there? I went yesterday also. I was camping up in the White Mountains with a buddy and we hit the per pound on the way home. We were there at around 4.

Anyway, I got a little Ace Tone tube amp for guitar and a copy of Led Zep "The song remains the same" on vinyl.

I go at 7:00 AM and leave around 9. I then hit the retail store when it opens. Too bad we couldn't meet up. Maybe next time.

Six bux at GW. I needed another power conditioner. The fact that this one is eye candy is a nice bonus. Pretty blue lights! (Stock photo, looks better in person)

x299M5100EX-f.jpeg

Some of my biggest thrift scores over the past few months have been an orphaned AR-5 speaker, Pioneer CT F750, set of Advent /1's, and a set of KLH Model Twenty's. Plenty of less significant things as well, but those are the best ones :)

Back
Top Bottom