Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Spotted a couple of polk monitor 7's (sans grille) for $40, and a pair of stands for $8. Took them for a spin on the newly acquired SX-780 with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes. The results were breathtaking, and a shocking reminder as to why I picked up this hobby to begin with. Simply amazing.

Pics:
IMG_20170724_202914_095.jpg 20170724_200717.jpg 20170724_200732.jpg

More thrift store plunder:

Onkyo TX-85, $20
Nakamichi Receiver 2, $20
Yamaha CDX 930, $15

Roadside plunder:

Western Digital 2 TB hard drive
Dish Newtork 625 set top box
Pair of Zmodo HD IP cameras
Small box of remote controls

Hard drive works. When I figure out how to backup and restore an O.S., it will go into one of my computers.

More thrift store plunder:

Onkyo TX-85, $20
Nakamichi Receiver 2, $20
Yamaha CDX 930, $15

Roadside plunder:

Western Digital 2 TB hard drive
Dish Newtork 625 set top box
Pair of Zmodo HD IP cameras
Small box of remote controls

Hard drive works. When I figure out how to backup and restore an O.S., it will go into one of my computers.

Was anything on the hard drive?

Walter (DublinTrader) and I made our weekly Wednesday visit to GW Buy the Pound. I found this artwork that I liked for the retro look. Backing boards are a little banged up, but I can touch them up.

We then went to the retail store next door and there was a cart full of records and more on shelves by the cart. We walked away from there grinning. I found some avant-garde electronic albums, Beatles and Zappa. The best was a private pressed Boston folk psych album by James Lee Meadows.

2017-07-26 11.31.34.jpg 2017-07-26 13.30.40.jpg 2017-07-26 13.31.47.jpg 2017-07-26 13.32.16.jpg

Not a super score but I got a really nice looking pair of Advent/3s for $20 on Monday.

The $6.99 ADC CD-100X that I passed on on Saturday was gone however. I don't know why I didn't just snag it. Probably because I got a Yamaha CD-X2 and a Pioneer PD-M910 at the same store not long ago.

Was Patting myself on the back for finding a couple blugrass albums today for 2 bucks each. That is until i saw @bobsvinyl 's haul. Great stuff. Zappa always sells high at my home town record store.
I did have a personal victory today when i left a John Fahey vol 2 stereo pressing behind. Spotted some groove damage. A couple months ago would have probably grabbed it and found out my mistake at home. I am learning.
20170726_164902.jpg

Very nice haul @bobsvinyl

I have that Partch record - I believe it features "hobo chanting"

Burnt Weeny Sandwich is my fav Zappa.

I would have gone for that art too. What a day!

Had a decent pickup of records at dump today. They have hiked their prices lately with most being $3, which is a bit more than I would like to pay for discarded records but then, I do have a sickness lol.

I initially left the Renee Geyer records and The Commodores Machine Gun, but I later found those could the most valuable of what I saw so I went back and picked them up.

Paid $40 NZ for the lot.

IMG_20170727_172438.jpg

Not a score because plastic DVD players are rarely worth anything. However, I picked up a Denon DVD-1740 for $3.75. It has optical and coax digital out and HDMI video out with 1080p upscaling. Can't go wrong for the price of fries and a drink.

Back
Top Bottom