Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Herbie Hancock - Fat Albert Rotunda and a nice vintage GE clock.

36064044862_2301fb7ea7_z.jpg

I browse Shopgoodwill for deals all the time....picked this up with a copy of Alan Parsons "Pyramid" last week. Got here Thursday. Vinyl on both are clean and without a mark. Not too bad for $10!

index.php

Found this Marantz PM7200 for a whopping 4.99. It's not real high end but sounds pretty damn good. It's going to be a temporary stand in while I recap and do some preventative maintenance on my Pioneer.
At least ( I think ) this modern amp has got the holy loudness switch that every other modern amps miss.

Good catch there.

I picked up a beat up set of Pioneer CS-53's today with grill fabric torn and needing to be refinishing but I thought I could use them with my 70's Pioneer system in the spare bedroom. Loading them into the car I noticed a horn where there shouldn't been one, when I got home I found they had been modified with Electro Voice Wolverine MR-10 midrange horns and TW-35 tweeters along with their crossovers.

DSCF1425.jpg

DSCF1422.jpg

DSCF1423.jpg

They sound very nice with a Marantz R-220. Both were free finds

Yeah, the Goodwill in your area is WAY different than the ones around here. :confused:

A lot of it depends on who is pricing things in the back room that day. I picked up that receiver and a Magnavox TDA1541 equipped CD player for an additional $2. Neither had been out that morning but were there in the late afternoon when I returned.

The other factor is due to the massive influx of newcomers to the area, Goodwill is absolutely inundated with donations. It is not unusual to see 10 or 12 cars lined up to drop stuff off on a Saturday afternoon. Some of them have gotten the point of having mini outlet stores in the back room where they have 4'x4'x4' dump bins full of merchandise. Everything is $0.99.

A lot of it depends on who is pricing things in the back room that day. I picked up that receiver and a Magnavox TDA1541 equipped CD player for an additional $2. Neither had been out that morning but were there in the late afternoon when I returned.

The other factor is due to the massive influx of newcomers to the area, Goodwill is absolutely inundated with donations. It is not unusual to see 10 or 12 cars lined up to drop stuff off on a Saturday afternoon. Some of them have gotten the point of having mini outlet stores in the back room where they have 4'x4'x4' dump bins full of merchandise. Everything is $0.99.

Yep, things are definitely different there. It's like the backwards bizarro world up here where junk is priced like gold, and the only stuff that comes in is on Goodwill trucks.

I picked up a beat up set of Pioneer CS-53's today with grill fabric torn and needing to be refinishing but I thought I could use them with my 70's Pioneer system in the spare bedroom. Loading them into the car I noticed a horn where there shouldn't been one, when I got home I found they had been modified with Electro Voice Wolverine MR-10 midrange horns and TW-35 tweeters along with their crossovers.
They sound very nice with a Marantz R-220. Both were free finds
A step up from what was in there, I suspect.

Recent vinyl finds - all $1 each

The Outfield - Play Deep
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Triumph - Allied Forces
McGuiness Flint - Happy Birthday Ruby Baby
Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
Nick Lowe - Labour of Lust
Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun
Paul Simon - S/T
David Bromburg - Demon in Disguise
Jesse Colin Young - Song for Juli
Asia - S/T
Electric Flag - A Long Time Comin

Last Friday picked up a Onkyo TX-3000 for $3.99 at Savers - said it didn't work but opened it up when I got home and noticed a fuse wasn't seated, put it in and everything including all lights work. Also got a Beam Box FM-10 for $1.99 at GW.

Back
Top Bottom