Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Does it ever happen that both of you want the same thing, and if so, how do you usually resolve it?

In this case we in front of different carts in GW Buy the Pound. The cart in front of me had the cassettes and I started grabbing as many as I could. Fourtunately there were some small plastic bins in the cart as well so I used them to hold the cassettes. Bob joined me when he saw me picking up the cassettes. We were the only ones taking them. Bob even passed along the ones he didn't want. I ended up with 130 split evenly between Metal and Hard Rock. Lots of Overkill, Motley Crue, Anthrax and Bon Jovi.

20180220_152550.jpg Not quite a thrift find, but it might as well have been. My friend went to check out a pair of B&W CDM-1nt's that we found on the local Craigslist. He gets there, and starts sending me pics of other gear that they have. All B&W, some better than others. Then these come through. My heart jumped because these people wanted nothing more than to get rid of this stuff for whatever they could get. I offered $300, then realized they needed one tweeter module, so they offered them for $200. B&W 805 Signature Tiger's Eye. Cabs are in great shape, and this tweeter pushed out easily from behind and is working great. Now I just have to put the order in for the tweeter pod (completely missing on the other speaker) and I'll have a pair of forever speakers. Paired with my Rel strata iii, they should scream. Still freaking out a little.

Figured why not for $5 for the pair. Sayno C10 and a Magnavox CDB 582 with the 1541A chip

IMG_20180220_194227.jpg

Down at the Hospice Shop this lunchtime to pick up some computers to refurbish for them. Whilst there, a guy dropped off a big box of classic rock and punk CDs. All the Cds were in wallets and the cases were a bit beat up, so the manager said that if I put all the disks in the cases and take them as-is, I could have them for a buck a piece. I got 29 all together including Motorhead, The Band, The Who, Led Zepp, The Darkness, CCR, Pogues, Maiden, GnR etc.Pics later :)

View attachment 1120072 Not quite a thrift find, but it might as well have been. My friend went to check out a pair of B&W CDM-1nt's that we found on the local Craigslist. He gets there, and starts sending me pics of other gear that they have. All B&W, some better than others. Then these come through. My heart jumped because these people wanted nothing more than to get rid of this stuff for whatever they could get. I offered $300, then realized they needed one tweeter module, so they offered them for $200. B&W 805 Signature Tiger's Eye. Cabs are in great shape, and this tweeter pushed out easily from behind and is working great. Now I just have to put the order in for the tweeter pod (completely missing on the other speaker) and I'll have a pair of forever speakers. Paired with my Rel strata iii, they should scream. Still freaking out a little.

That's an absolutely killer deal on those speakers (which I'm sure you already know) and I have no doubt that they will make a great pair of forever speakers.

I got my pair of Matrix 804 for the same price and for the same reason. We talked about it before but B&Ws seem to exert mind control on people where they just have to push on the really shiny and really expensive silver thing. Doesn't matter if they are top mounted, baffle mounted, many years old or just a few, 90% of them have one or both tweeters smashed in.
Luckily B&W are awesome at stocking parts for legacy models.

That's an absolutely killer deal on those speakers (which I'm sure you already know) and I have no doubt that they will make a great pair of forever speakers.

I got my pair of Matrix 804 for the same price and for the same reason. We talked about it before but B&Ws seem to exert mind control on people where they just have to push on the really shiny and really expensive silver thing. Doesn't matter if they are top mounted, baffle mounted, many years old or just a few, 90% of them have one or both tweeters smashed in.
Luckily B&W are awesome at stocking parts for legacy models.
Haha for real. They're like a bright light to a moth. Thankfully I was able to get it reformed by pulling the tweeter and pushing it out with a pencil eraser through the hole in the back. Should be good as new, and if it's not, it's not too insanely much for a new tweeter. But I'm 99% convinced it'll be fine. I'll post pics Friday once I get the new tweeter module.

View attachment 1120072 Not quite a thrift find, but it might as well have been. My friend went to check out a pair of B&W CDM-1nt's that we found on the local Craigslist. He gets there, and starts sending me pics of other gear that they have. All B&W, some better than others. Then these come through. My heart jumped because these people wanted nothing more than to get rid of this stuff for whatever they could get. I offered $300, then realized they needed one tweeter module, so they offered them for $200. B&W 805 Signature Tiger's Eye. Cabs are in great shape, and this tweeter pushed out easily from behind and is working great. Now I just have to put the order in for the tweeter pod (completely missing on the other speaker) and I'll have a pair of forever speakers. Paired with my Rel strata iii, they should scream. Still freaking out a little.

OMG,. What a score!

Never really have had the patience to look through the CDs at thrifts. But a used sony SACD player that i got from my bro in law and my lack of LP finds lately inspired me to give it a go.
The Michelle Shocked is a highlight for me because i looked her up recently to stream on Amazon and she was not available
20180222_191527.jpg

Never really have had the patience to look through the CDs at thrifts. But a used sony SACD player that i got from my bro in law and my lack of LP finds lately inspired me to give it a go.
The Michelle Shocked is a highlight for me because i looked her up recently to stream on Amazon and she was not available
View attachment 1121291

Got two Michelle Shocked last week including that one - love them. Started buying CDs again since I found a place in town where they are 50 cents each.

We do look for many of the same things. We let each other know if new carts are coming out at Buy the Pound. If there are multiple
Items, we each take some.

Sometimes Walter hits lucky, sometimes it's my turn. We are competitive but in a friendly way. We've lost track of how many times we passed stuff back and forth between us. We both feel there's plenty of finds out there for both of us without fighting over it.

Your post reminded me of these guys,...

3c2761_9bf36f35733c41398dcafd0e06c6ab80.jpg_srz_490_327_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

I had to spend the day in Nashua, NH with 2 doctor visits 4 hours apart. (One was an unexpected tooth problem so I had no choice). I made the rounds to the thrift stores to kill time and I'm glad I did.

First off, I got to meet up with te-te (Terence) at Buy the Pound and we had a nice visit. @Te-Te...You left about 15 minutes too soon. They wheeled out a cart of CDs and DVDs right where we had been standing. I was basically the only person there buying CDs. It took me a half hour to go through the cart. I also found George Clinton and Iron Maiden cassettes. I walked away with 3 bags of books, CDs and DVDs for $12.00. I included a picture of a novelty item got out of one of the carts. It amazes me what weird products people come up with. This is about a third of the CDs I bought.

001 (6).JPG 002.JPG 005.JPG 004.JPG

I had to spend the day in Nashua, NH with 2 doctor visits 4 hours apart. (One was an unexpected tooth problem so I had no choice). I made the rounds to the thrift stores to kill time and I'm glad I did.

First off, I got to meet up with te-te (Terence) at Buy the Pound and we had a nice visit. @Te-Te...You left about 15 minutes too soon. They wheeled out a cart of CDs and DVDs right where we had been standing. I was basically the only person there buying CDs. It took me a half hour to go through the cart. I also found George Clinton and Iron Maiden cassettes. I walked away with 3 bags of books, CDs and DVDs for $12.00. I included a picture of a novelty item got out of one of the carts. It amazes me what weird products people come up with. This is about a third of the CDs I bought.

View attachment 1121387 View attachment 1121388 View attachment 1121392 View attachment 1121394

All that music and a Fart Detector for $12,...sheesh man,... that's a SCROE!

View attachment 1121387 View attachment 1121388 View attachment 1121392 View attachment 1121394
Wow, What a score on the CD's! Of course I left too soon! At least I finally got to meet you though.:beerchug:

I forgot to mention that Terrence left me a big bag of goodies in the back of my truck. Audio Christmas came early this year. Thanks, Te-Te.

Bob is at it AGAIN!
Minions-Joy.gif

Back
Top Bottom