Best Thrift Store/Goodwill/SA Finds

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Marantzaholic, May 21, 2003.

1. NJguy

NJguy Super Member

Interesting 1996 book with replica album covers on original paper and texture....these are album covers designed by Gary Burden (Doors, Eagles, CSN etc...). These are some of the covers in it. Found at Goodwill. oors, Eagles, CSN etc...). These are some of the covers in it. Found at Goodwill. The text is by Burden describing the cover and even the type of paper used.
    IMG_9987.jpeg IMG_9989.jpeg IMG_9990.jpeg IMG_9991.jpeg IMG_9992.jpeg IMG_9993.jpeg IMG_9994.jpeg IMG_9995.jpeg
    IMG_9987.jpeg IMG_9989.jpeg

Last edited: May 13, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mitkraft

Mitkraft Super Member

Don’t you carry it everywhere? I do.

ivandezande and markshan like this.
  3. Sethbramwell

Sethbramwell Active Member

Since getting back into 8 tracks things have been a trickle to find anything decent... Mostly a lot of old mantovani and Streisand kind of stuff. I got lucky at Savers today when I found two ones that have been put out since my last visit... Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and Blondie's autoamerican. Both of them sound great!

likebike23 likes this.
  4. Van_Isle

Van_Isle AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yesterday a Monsoon MM-700 2.1 computer speaker set-up ... with the flat-panel satellites ... older version made in Richmond BC - $20 (CAD) - if you haven't heard these ...

And today an Akai GXC-760D 3-head dual capstan cassette deck - $10 (CAD). Works but definitely needs new belts.

Fleischer and BilboBaggins like this.
  5. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the same deck at home. It plays fine, but no rewind or fast forward. I suspect the clutch assembly, and think the rubber wheels are worn. Nice looking deck, all lit up!

6. mstrane21

mstrane21 Well-Known Member

What is the name of that book?

7. JamVal

JamVal Super Member

Outside of an LP here and there, I have hit a drought on finding gear.
    I found this Sennheiser Set 840 S today in a Sal Army for a few bucks, I had no idea what it was, but it's Sennheiser so I took it.
    Everything that's supposed to be in the box is there, along with the manual, it looks new. And it works.
    It includes something called an induction loop for hearing aid users, which my wife claims is in the near future for me.
    SennSet840S.JPG

Te-Te likes this.
  8. NJguy

NJguy Super Member

Rare promo companion brochure to Art Exhibition. Contains album covers from The Eagles, The Doors, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and more.

Author: Gary Burden

Publisher: Domtar EarthChoice Papers/R. Twerk & Co

Year Published: 1996

Pages: 32

Format: Paperback

ISBN: n/a

This item is currently Out Of Print

Te-Te and mstrane21 like this.
  9. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

Cool that you found a new avenue to explore with the 8 tracks. I got a nice little player and fixed it up after a friend grabbed me a box of about 130 tapes at the flea. I agree that they do sound pretty good! The only issue is that most of the tapes need to be tuned up with new pads and splices. No biggie, I'll get around to it eventually.

Sethbramwell likes this.
  10. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

The hot streak continues! Saw a thrift store buddy looking through the records at Savers yesterday just as they were putting out some new records. We shot the shit while going through them and split the booty. He got some good ones too. Win win.

IMG_20180518_104741716.jpg

11. rkgren1

rkgren1 Well-Known Member

Simple buy at a nearby Re-Store: a 14.5" x 15.5" x 1.5" marble cutting board
    It fits nearly perfectly underneath my Elac Miracord 760 turntable.
    I did not weigh it, but it is probably around 20 lb.
    The additional mass greatly stabilizes the turntable.
    Because it is a cutting board, it has a set of soft rubber feet, which apparently also help to isolate it from vibrations as well.

The record no longer skips when I get out of my chair near in front of the computer.
    This is a marked improvement for $8.

elac-on-marble.jpg

12. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Isolation is big for turntables. I have a wall mount shelf for mine, but feel certain that your added mass is very beneficial.

13. icenine

icenine Super Member

[​IMG]
    Sanyo TP 1010 with Concord cart and stylus.
    Just seems really dusty. $30.00.

14. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

Really nice LP copy of Animals, with lyrics sleeve... not sure how to tell if original US pressing or not. Plays great. Put it on as soon as I got home and gave it a whirl on the Nitty Gritty. WHO DOES THIS????

Leland47 likes this.
  15. markshan

What does the deadwax say? Is there a barcode?

16. N8Nagel

No barcode. Deadwax reads AL 34474-2B. Never really got into the whole "first pressing" thing so I don't know how to interpret the lists on Discogs

17. markshan

Google is your friend. I got this when Googling the deadwax number. Looks like a US first to me.

18. N8Nagel

Well shit. Looks like a keeper. Played through nicely although it did skip once but I don't know if I have this table dialed in yet (just put it together last week)

19. illini

illini The Past is Alive

Me too! Got mine dirt cheap and it cleaned-up nicely.

This one is my first ES component; I was not aware of Dolby S until today.

But the drive belts in mine have turned to mush, so this player is my next project...

20. markshan

I find that with some used records a second cleaning a few days after the first can also be of benefit. Give the fluid a couple minutes dwell time.