Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

No pics but I picked up a pair of Kef Q10 UniQ's in mint condition for $50. I thought they were a little bright at first but they are growing on me. The low end really wakes up when pushed a bit. I can't wait to AB them with some of my other small two ways. I still love my sleeper pair of Camber Lasers.

I also snagged a Denon 2ch DRA 435R with remote and a pair of Bose 201's for $40. Nice little receiver with nice specs and pre-outs. It's got variable loudness like the Nak TA series. Since I listen a lot at low-medium volume I'm becoming a big fan of that control. All in all not a bad week. Now to find a home for those 201's....

Yesterday i was in a Volunteers Of America thrift store, first place i always look is in the electronics to see if i find any vintage stuff.
Looking on the shelves i seen nothing at all that caught my attention, continuing through store i turn the corner and here sits this pair of vintage Infinity RS 4000 speakers .. cabinets look new with no visual defects at all .. of course the foam surrounds were shot.
I know ZERO about them or how they sound but they were priced $5.95 for the pair so i bought them. I ordered new foam surrounds today for the 8" woofers and 3" mids and total was under $30
20180606_123933.jpg 20180606_124001.jpg

EDIT : starting to get the refoam done on these, i started with the 3.5" mids as i figured they would be a bit harder to do .. took my time and they turned out good
20180613_234837.jpg
20180614_021524.jpg

Today i replaced the foam surrounds on the 8"woofers, went really good and turned out great. All back together now and will be hooking them up tomorrow to see how they sound (hopefully good) pretty nice looking and heavy speakers for my $31.29 invested
20180617_192904.jpg

Last edited:
Those infinities look like a smaller version of my RS-5b with a different mid (mine has polydomes rather than cones)

Once I foamed and Deoxited them they sound very good so I hope you have a similar experience!

Those infinities look like a smaller version of my RS-5b with a different mid (mine has polydomes rather than cones)

Once I foamed and Deoxited them they sound very good so I hope you have a similar experience!
Yes i am curious how they will sound. Also wondering how hard those little mids are to refoam .. i have done 8" & 10" before

Yes i am curious how they will sound. Also wondering how hard those little mids are to refoam .. i have done 8" & 10" before
I find mids are far more difficult than woofers. I run a 440Hz test tone while doing them. Don't run the 60 like with a woofer or you will burn them up.

Just bought these: B&W DM 2 (A?). They look rough and I haven't tested anything yet. Damn, I don't even know if they are DM 2's or DM 2A's. I'm just extremely happy to own a classic like this. TBC.

IMG_20180607_160903.jpg

Just bought these: B&W DM 2 (A?). They look rough and I haven't tested anything yet. Damn, I don't even know if they are DM 2's or DM 2A's. I'm just extremely happy to own a classic like this. TBC.

Those are worth putting the work into. Please give a link to your resto thread here.

Back
Top Bottom