Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

If all 2tb show up, it's most likely a partitioning error, or some sort of reserved system partition. Try opening it in the disk management tool or download acronis. Either one should allow you to delete the mystery partition and start from scratch. Usually if the drive is failing, it would act sluggish or not work at all. You could also run chkdsk on it through the console, and see if there are any errors.

If all 2tb show up, it's most likely a partitioning error, or some sort of reserved system partition. Try opening it in the disk management tool or download acronis. Either one should allow you to delete the mystery partition and start from scratch. Usually if the drive is failing, it would act sluggish or not work at all. You could also run chkdsk on it through the console, and see if there are any errors.
When I first plugged it in, it didn't show up as a drive at first. I had to go to disk management where it showed 2 partitions, the 2 tb i was able to allocate and assign to a drive, and then a 1.5tb partition I couldn't do anything with.

I'll probably open the enclosure just to put eyes on the drive label to see what's up

When I first plugged it in, it didn't show up as a drive at first. I had to go to disk management where it showed 2 partitions, the 2 tb i was able to allocate and assign to a drive, and then a 1.5tb partition I couldn't do anything with.

I'll probably open the enclosure just to put eyes on the drive label to see what's up

Believe there was a 2tb limit with NTFS file system, or something like that. When drives grew larger than 2tb it was required to format differently, so it could indeed be a larger drive.

Nothing special but I had been looking for a second set of garage speakers and my garage is not the cleanest.Enter the underdog Zenith Allegro 3000.I read up quite a bit on these before I picked them up.Seems that these are supposed to be some decent sounding speakers that belie their heritage.In testing I would have to agree.They are some decent sounding speakers in good condition.Paid a bit more than I would like at $24.99 but I had to find out.Speakers like these used to go for $10-$15 before.They even have brackets on the back for hanging which is exactly what I will do.

Attachments

• 6.16.2018 003.jpg
    6.16.2018 003.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 6.16.2018 004.jpg
    6.16.2018 004.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 6.16.2018 005.jpg
    6.16.2018 005.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 97
Nothing special but I had been looking for a second set of garage speakers and my garage is not the cleanest.Enter the underdog Zenith Allegro 3000.I read up quite a bit on these before I picked them up.Seems that these are supposed to be some decent sounding speakers that belie their heritage.In testing I would have to agree.They are some decent sounding speakers in good condition.Paid a bit more than I would like at $24.99 but I had to find out.Speakers like these used to go for $10-$15 before.They even have brackets on the back for hanging which is exactly what I will do.
I believe those are the ones I pulled Foster horn tweeters from. They are very nice sounding tweeters. I ended up using them to replace blown cone tweeters in some small but very efficient Criterion (50A, IIRC) speakers. The result is very good indeed.

I believe those are the ones I pulled Foster horn tweeters from. They are very nice sounding tweeters. I ended up using them to replace blown cone tweeters in some small but very efficient Criterion (50A, IIRC) speakers. The result is very good indeed.
Yes I have read that the tweeter is the strong point but also the woofers are good also.I have come across these before but saw no reason to pick up.Now I will just for the tweeters.Thanks.

Yes I have read that the tweeter is the strong point but also the woofers are good also.I have come across these before but saw no reason to pick up.Now I will just for the tweeters.Thanks.
They are a bother to get out, though. There are no openings in the cabinet and they mount from the inside. I ended up liberating them with a sledge hammer (no, I'm not kidding). The cabinet is very much their weak point.

from recycling just now, a nearly full 2kg roll of 60/40 solder, pretty much sorted for life along with the Metcal soldering station I found a few years back.

Nice. Reminds me of huge rolls of sandcloth and sandpaper I picked up from an ancient hardware store going out of business. Enough for me, my kids, and grandkids lifetimes lol.

honestly it changed how I soldered, an absolute joy to use,

Yes. Started my career 30-something years ago using Wellers, which were an improvement over th Antex I'd used as a kid. But SMD boards need much finer control, and the Metcal is much more like using a pen than a conventional iron; you get so much closer to the work with your hand, gving better control. That and the zoom x64 stereo microscope rework station means it's possible to rework very small SMD packages.

They are a bother to get out, though. There are no openings in the cabinet and they mount from the inside. I ended up liberating them with a sledge hammer (no, I'm not kidding). The cabinet is very much their weak point.
These have screws to open the back.I have seen the cabinet you're talking about.I might open them and line the cab with filler I have.

Went camping last night after work in VT. In the way there was a flea market going on, so I stopped. I got a Garrard 40b turntable in a vinyl wrapped particle board (not plastic) plinth for $5. It has a Pickering AC3 cart on it so I figured how could I go wrong? No pic, but I took some pics of the campsite :).
IMG_20180616_150313229.jpg

Last edited:
These have screws to open the back.I have seen the cabinet you're talking about.I might open them and line the cab with filler I have.
If you are going to bother to do that, I would also try some bracing to help make the thin walls more rigid. I'd probably do one piece side to side and another baffle to back.

Found a Technics M7 tape deck at my GW Outlet today. About 4 bucks and running nicely. I just have to source a proper knob. I don't suppose anyone can point me in the right direction?
20180617_193644.jpg

Back
Top Bottom