Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Visiting Seattle and thought I'd stop at a GW in Burien. Good idea, found a pair of KEF K120s for $19.99. Fine but the real gem I thought was the Pioneer SX-9 top of the line receiver for early 80s for $34.99. I think just after the flouroscans series.

Yeah they're gaudy as hell & not as nice as what they replaced but for some reason they caught my very young eye way back then.

20181008_175410 (1).jpg

Worst thrift store day ever.

I went to the GW Outlet and walked in as they were changing bins. I walked up to the new bin and there were a beat up pair of Klipsch Hereseys! I scooped them into my cart while reaching over people in an almost super-human feat of strength. I was so excited. Yes, the cabinets were very beat up, and I couldn't test function, but for a buck these were a most worthy project, even if I already have too many projects. They are even the same series as my daily drivers.

I get to checkout only to have my heart broken. The girl tells me that last week corporate came in and put a stop to their "all electronics $.99" pricing. The Hereseys would be by the pound. Okay, they just went from a buck to over $100. I said to her that in a regular GW they likely wouldn't be marked for more than $20. She said "I know". I said to her that I was up for a heavy restoration project for a buck, but that they are far too beat up to justify that price. She said "I know, they will probably sit in the bins for a couple weeks then get pitched into the dumpster when they don't sell". What a shame, especially to a Klipsch lover like myself. For a moment, I was so looking forward to saving them.

I went to the GW Outlet and walked in as they were changing bins. I walked up to the new bin and there were a beat up pair of Klipsch Hereseys! I scooped them into my cart while reaching over people in an almost super-human feat of strength. I was so excited. Yes, the cabinets were very beat up, and I couldn't test function, but for a buck these were a most worthy project, even if I already have too many projects. They are even the same series as my daily drivers.

I get to checkout only to have my heart broken. The girl tells me that last week corporate came in and put a stop to their "all electronics $.99" pricing. The Hereseys would be by the pound. Okay, they just went from a buck to over $100. I said to her that in a regular GW they likely wouldn't be marked for more than $20. She said "I know". I said to her that I was up for a heavy restoration project for a buck, but that they are far too beat up to justify that price. She said "I know, they will probably sit in the bins for a couple weeks then get pitched into the dumpster when they don't sell". What a shame, especially to a Klipsch lover like myself. For a moment, I was so looking forward to saving them.

Makes me want to donate more to GW for sure.

That does stink .

That does stink .
Lately, I've been excited to find flips. I was excited about these for me. But I keep doing the math in my head and I just can't justify the cost. I bought my like new in factory boxes pair not five years ago for $250. Maybe if I knew they were functionally excellent I could justify the labor, but it would only take one bad driver to send them into economic unfeasibility.

Visiting Seattle and thought I'd stop at a GW in Burien. Good idea, found a pair of KEF K120s for $19.99. Fine but the real gem I thought was the Pioneer SX-9 top of the line receiver for early 80s for $34.99. I think just after the flouroscans series.

Yeah they're gaudy as hell & not as nice as what they replaced but for some reason they caught my very young eye way back then.

View attachment 1300656

I had an SX-8 given to me that had a few problems but when I got it going it was a nice sounding receiver. I actually think it's pretty nice looking in a early 80's way. The thing is built like a tank and I'm sure the 9 is moreso with the gigantic torroidal transformer in there.
If you have problems with the display acting up or the buttons not working after it warms up have a look at the regulators on the main board. Mine had one that would go nuts once it heated up and the panel would start to act funny and then stop working. Easy fix.

Lately, I've been excited to find flips. I was excited about these for me. But I keep doing the math in my head and I just can't justify the cost. I bought my like new in factory boxes pair not five years ago for $250. Maybe if I knew they were functionally excellent I could justify the labor, but it would only take one bad driver to send them into economic unfeasibility.
That is quite the turnaround in their policy . Like you said , they probably weren't marked that high in the regular GW .

Go back and argue they are NOT electronics. They are Speakers. If they are Electronics then where are THE ON OFF SWITCHES?? Yea I know.....

GW management at its worst. At least at my local GW Outlets hardgoods have been down to 50 cents a pound for months. Also, if your electronics hit a certain weight (I want to say 5 or 10 pounds) a manager will come out and give an arbitrary price that is almost always less than the actual weight price. Given that those are (I think) full size floor standing speakers they may have slapped a flat price tag on them before putting them out, but it still wouldn't have been more than 12 each tops, and would have been reduced every couple of days until they were gone. Sorry for your missed opportunity!

I would have gladly paid $12 each. I would think about them at fiddy cent a pound. I just can't justify $1.29 a pound.

I really wanted to see if stacked Hereseys are "a thing".

Go back and argue they are NOT electronics. They are Speakers. If they are Electronics then where are THE ON OFF SWITCHES?? Yea I know.....
I think you could make a case here-- they're more furniture than anything-- electronics is coffee makers, radios, TV's, etc; shiny things with buttons and a power cord hanging out the back. Additionally, if they're still marked .99, you can likely find a manager to honor the price or find a reasonable compromise.
Maybe try again and start the negotiations when a difference clerk is working the register

At my Goodwill outlet those Heresey would be trashed in minutes. Either that or they would be a in the compactor in less than an hour.

hello all i found (2) realistic turntables today. (1) realistic lab 400 (2) realistic lab 500. Paid $9.99 each. The 400 had 3 lose screws in the motor mount. And before i tightened up the 3 screws table was wobbly. Now that there tight no more movement. And both turntables work as they should. Not to bad for $9.99 ( plus tax of course) lol. I finally got a good score!!! Pictures attached! realistic turntables 001.JPG realistic turntables 002.JPG realistic turntables 003.JPG realistic turntables 004.JPG realistic turntables 005.JPG realistic turntables 006.JPG realistic turntables 007.JPG

Well I guess all one can say is I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted.Not much room for any deals at $1 a pound whatever it is.No chance of testing?Even they were functional I think $100 is decent but no real deal with the cabs beat.
hello all i found (2) realistic turntables today. (1) realistic lab 400 (2) realistic lab 500. Paid $9.99 each. The 400 had 3 lose screws in the motor mount. And before i tightened up the 3 screws table was wobbly. Now that there tight no more movement. And both turntables work as they should. Not to bad for $9.99 ( plus tax of course) lol. I finally got a good score!!! Pictures attached! View attachment 1301257 View attachment 1301258 View attachment 1301259 View attachment 1301260 View attachment 1301261 View attachment 1301262 View attachment 1301263
I think you did real good at $10 each.Good vintage thrift turntables are uncommon anymore.

Those part out for $300-400 easy. I can't imagine they'll last too long, even at a dollar a pound. I'd grab those in a heartbeat.

Those part out for $300-400 easy. I can't imagine they'll last too long, even at a dollar a pound. I'd grab those in a heartbeat.
I was under the impression that Crites hurt the market for stock Klipsch parts. I haven't priced the bone value.

Back
Top Bottom