Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

IMG_4056.JPG IMG_4057.JPG IMG_4058.JPG IMG_4060.JPG IMG_4059.JPG

Couple nice finds today, Pioneer PL-A35, the base is mint and would be totally perfect other than a cracked dust cover in the rear. GW $16, with this TT I also found a Hitachi HT-6 basic direct drive GW $16. I also found a set of DCM TF 250's in great condition, I never saw the 250's before I did not know they made them so small.

View attachment 1353678 View attachment 1353679 View attachment 1353680 View attachment 1353682 View attachment 1353681

Couple nice finds today, Pioneer PL-A35, the base is mint and would be totally perfect other than a cracked dust cover in the rear. GW $16, with this TT I also found a Hitachi HT-6 basic direct drive GW $16. I also found a set of DCM TF 250's in great condition, I never saw the 250's before I did not know they made them so small.
I'm pretty sure I have a dust cover for that table.Been keeping it for fifteen years until I or someone needed it.May need a bit of polish but its in good condition.Its yours if you want it.The DCMs will definitely need to be refoamed.

Last edited:
A neighbor stopped me the other day and asked if I'd like his old 8 track tapes, I said sure. He left these by the door when I was picking up my daughter from school.

View attachment 1353476
View attachment 1353477

I really like the vinyl cases, they are cool. There are 3 more boxes of tapes that need work. There's a bunch of Chicago, Steely Dan, Three Dog Night, Grand Funk, etc. Listening to Cream right now.

View attachment 1353488

That neighbor's a keeper! Very nice gift.

Ha! Ha! They are a bit muffled, but they have a certain mellow weight to the sound that no other source I own has. They're fun, and check the nostalgia box for me. :music:

I wasn’t referring to the sound quality, which I thought was quite good, possibly due to the faster tape speed. What I was referring to was the high failure rate of 8 track tapes as opposed to cassettes. I threw many out the window of my car after they self destructed in my car player.

I wasn’t referring to the sound quality, which I thought was quite good, possibly due to the faster tape speed. What I was referring to was the high failure rate of 8 track tapes as opposed to cassettes. I threw many out the window of my car after they self destructed in my car player.

Yeah, the tapes are a problem. I've got over 100 tapes and the vast majority need to be gone through. I need to replace the splices, pressure pads, and pressure rollers on most of them. I have to get all the supplies and find some time to mess around with them. Just last night the splice broke on a Guess Who tape. I don't love the idea of having to do the work, but what are you going to do? They aren't making new tapes :dunno:.

IMG_20181211_112705.jpg I love the little Minimus 7 speakers, and pick them up whenever I can find them for less than $15. I have them in black, silver and wood, but for the past few years the white ones have eluded me. I only found two pairs of those and they were much, much more expensive than my self-imposed limit. But today, St. Vincent de Paul came up with this clean pair in my price range. So, my quest has ended. I just hooked them up to a NAD7240PE, played The Nutcracker on them, and they sound g-o-o-o-d!

Last edited:
View attachment 1353836 I love the little Minimus 7 speakers, and pick them up whenever I can find them for less than $15. I have them in black, silver and wood, but for the past few years the white ones have eluded me. I only found two of those and they were much, much more expensive than my self-imposed limit. But today, St. Vincent de Paul came up with this clean pair in my price range. So, my quest has ended.
I love the white ones because they are so easy to paint.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/uber-rare-realistic-minimus-7-t.714219/

I get it. Some people just don't have the skills to get 8 track players and tapes working. :p
Seriously though, like Beta was a consumer adaptation of U-Matic, 8 track was a consumer adaptation of the tape card. An endless look that never needed to be rewound made perfect sense for a 30 second commercial in a broadcast setting, but the consumer adaptation was deeply flawed and it's best feature all but unnecessary. Compact cassette vs 8-track was an example where the market got it right.

Seriously though, like Beta was a consumer adaptation of U-Matic, 8 track was a consumer adaptation of the tape card. An endless look that never needed to be rewound made perfect sense for a 30 second commercial in a broadcast setting, but the consumer adaptation was deeply flawed and it's best feature all but unnecessary. Compact cassette vs 8-track was an example where the market got it right.

I know 8 track's faults, but it's just a little fun and diversion from being on lockdown with an 8 year old kid. I'm not suggesting it's the end all be all in audio. :beerchug:

DublinTrader and I hit Buy the Pound and assorted other thrift stores today. I was near the front of the store and saw a worker wheeling out the second of a pair of large speakers. I ran right over and looked at them and they were Pioneer CS-63 DX. I asked how much and he says...."$1.99 for the pair." Needless to say, I almost tripped over myself to get to the cash register to pay for them.
Specifications:
Type: 4 way, 6 driver loudspeaker system

Frequency Response: 20Hz to 22kHz

Power Handling: 80W

Crossover Frequency: 770, 3300, 12000Hz

Impedance: 8Ω

Bass: 1 x 15" cone

Midrange: 2 x 5" horn

Tweeter: 1 x horn

Super Tweeter: 2 x horn

Enclosure: infinite baffle

Dimensions: 720 x 480 x 332mm

Weight: 28.5kg

I had fun getting these home in Walter's car since they weigh around 60 pounds each. I also found a few LPs including more Zappa.

005 (7).JPG 006 (6).JPG 001 (12).JPG 002 (11).JPG

I know 8 track's faults, but it's just a little fun and diversion from being on lockdown with an 8 year old kid. I'm not suggesting it's the end all be all in audio. :beerchug:

I'll second that! I barely take mine seriously but they are a fun quirky diversion.

DublinTrader and I hit Buy the Pound and assorted other thrift stores today. I was near the front of the store and saw a worker wheeling out the second of a pair of large speakers. I ran right over and looked at them and they were Pioneer CS-63 DX. I asked how much and he says...."$1.99 for the pair." Needless to say, I almost tripped over myself to get to the cash register to pay for them.

Nice scroe! I believe at mine they would have been brought out at 14.99 each and sat until enough little kids had pushed in anything they could...

View attachment 1347076 View attachment 1347071 View attachment 1347073 View attachment 1347075 View attachment 1347072

Merry Christmas to me ! Onkyo TX NR906 monster. $2,300 MSRP. Hard to see but a huge toroidal in there. GW

Update: I have just learned that not only can you Bi-amp you can actually bridge amplifiers in this receiver for your mains. I have never heard of that in an AV receiver. That 145 x2 @8 ohms, Probably over 300 wpc at 8ohms. 400+ @ 6ohms

Nice score. I have the smaller, relatively speaking, 806 version of this AVR. They are beastly. There's a lot of configuration options, so some of the HDMI ins/outs might be disabled. My 806 has served me well for solid decade and still gets used heavily on a daily basis. I have always kept a couple of temp controlled cooling fans on the top of the unit. I attribute these fans to the long life of the HDMI boards.

Back
Top Bottom