Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Just brought these 2 home for $80
YCA7IBI.jpg

Look what I left behind
hnwvkx6.jpg

WZKIEBK.jpg

I know, I should go back for the AVR-5600. But don't really want to spend another $50 today, so I'll leave it for someone else.

Last edited:
In the very short time I listened to it I liked it but couldn't get too much of an opinion..I'm going to clean the controls to see if the dead channel comes back.I'm not too optimistic though.It is the front controls that feel sooo cheap compared to 70s gear.
Yep. Corners were cut.
Best of luck getting that channel back.
Hopefully it's an easy fix.

YCA7IBI.jpg

Look what I left behind
hnwvkx6.jpg

WZKIEBK.jpg

I know, I should go back for the AVR-5600. But don't really want to spend another $50 today, so I'll leave it for someone else.

Nice scores. The 3D Denon looks to be very interesting. Hopefully, the HDMI stuff works. The AVR-5600 was one of the top offerings that year. Any Denon with toroidal transformer is going to sound very good in stereo mode.

On a side note, that has to be the cleanest GW I have ever seen. Where are the crowds? Where is the junk in the aisles?

Last edited:
Struck out yet again for audio so...today's non-audio scores:

Ogio Mechanix Wear golf stand bag
JVC Everio camcorder no memory card, seems to work
Sorel women's waterproof winter boots (sort of regretting this one)
2008 Puma Bath Rugby Shirt
Garmin 265W w/2 car chargers
3 tennis racquets
HP 10B II calculator
Sony RM-DX455 remote control
Toshiba DVD remote control

YCA7IBI.jpg

Look what I left behind
hnwvkx6.jpg

WZKIEBK.jpg

The 5600 has a screw missing from the top of the case. It might be a headache waiting to happen.

A few questions for Audiokarma members.
What is the best deal you have ever found on a piece of audio equipment?...Tell us your best finds!

A little more than a year ago I found this Pioneer SX-424 on the auction site for the "buy-it-now" price of $35.00, what I believe to be only hours after it was put up.
It was described as "works like a vintage receiver should" (whatever that means!) I bought it as my first attempt at repairing / restoring vintage gear.

Well, this thing was very clean when I got it, and when I tested it out all it needed was the mode selector cleaned out with Deoxit.

So much for making an attempt at the repair/restore thing.

IMG_6467.JPG
Pioneer SX-424_Dual 621_Klipsch R14m_03.jpg

Nice scores. The 3D Denon looks to be very interesting. Hopefully, the HDMI stuff works. The AVR-5600 was one of the top offerings that year. Any Denon with toroidal transformer is going to sound very good in stereo mode.

On a side note, that has to be the cleanest GW I have ever seen. Where are the crowds? Where is the junk in the aisles?

This one is usually in a state of forever black friday. But recently we've had so much rain, the locals act the way cities do when they get snowed in. Let me put it this way, my local thrift stores only have blazers in the men's jacket section, and it's a short rack.

If these 2 AVR are fully functional, I may have to just store them away in case I ever decide to upgrade to 4k. The Integra in particular has 4k upscaling on all inputs.

A little more than a year ago I found this Pioneer SX-424 on the auction site for the "buy-it-now" price of $35.00, what I believe to be only hours after it was put up.
It was described as "works like a vintage receiver should" (whatever that means!) I bought it as my first attempt at repairing / restoring vintage gear.

Well, this thing was very clean when I got it, and when I tested it out all it needed was the mode selector cleaned out with Deoxit.

So much for making an attempt at the repair/restore thing.

View attachment 1421427
View attachment 1421428
I'm of the camp that if it sounds good and functions right I'll leave it alone.Thats a clean example you have there.

Realistic STA-2600 (100wpc) My wife was on lunch yesterday and stopped by her local GW. She will send me pics of stuff from time to time, but nothing I'm ever interested in....but then this showed up and for $7.99, I told her to BUY IT! Got it home, cleaned it up and other than needing a deoxit treatment- it sounds great. Missing a Bass knob but I can live with that until I can source one. I told her she did a great job!

Attachments

• STA2600 001.JPG
    STA2600 001.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 112
  • STA2600 002.JPG
    STA2600 002.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 95
  • STA2600 003.JPG
    STA2600 003.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 93
  • STA2600 004.JPG
    STA2600 004.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 96
  • STA2600 006.JPG
    STA2600 006.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Realistic STA-2600 (100wpc) My wife was on lunch yesterday and stopped by her local GW. She will send me pics of stuff from time to time, but nothing I'm ever interested in....but then this showed up and for $7.99, I told her to BUY IT! Got it home, cleaned it up and other than needing a deoxit treatment- it sounds great. Missing a Bass knob but I can live with that until I can source one. I told her she did a great job!

Great wife, great life!!

Went to the bi-monthly GW outlet yard sale this morning and missed on a Sansui AU-717 for $100. Not sure how early the winner arrived but there was a long line 20 minutes before opening. There were a couple of Fostex pro audio TT's that didn't interest me. No joy for audio but the non-audio booty was in abundance:

Qty 5(!) HP 48S scientific calculators
Garmin 265W with windshield mount and all accessories
Vintage Sears bicycle speedometer, NOS in box
M Audio Firewire Solo recording interface
Alabama Crimson Tide golf stand bag
Sun Mountain golf bag w/ large bag of tees
Motorola baby camera (missing viewer)
Sony Playstation 3 wireless control battery charger
Apple Final Cut Pro 5
XBOX 360 wired controller
Nikon USB power supply

Last edited: