Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

so many finds so little time

A few that come to mind- in US dollars

Yamaha NS-690- with blown tweeter 25.00 (15.00 got me a good tweeter online)

Marantz 140amp. 3200 preamp, matching tuner-original boxes-75.00- yard sale

Thorens 165- 3 dollars- yard sale

400 mostly 70's rock records from co-worker- 35.00. I've since sold some of them but kept the best for ME(two Taj Mahal I kept are worth what I paid for the lot)

Sansui SP-x8000- 50 bucks.

Large 3 way with Jensen horn tweeter , unknown 8"mid and 12inch woofer- 20 bucks at goodwill.

Kef 304 speakers- 30 bucks- pawn shop said they were homemade speakers!!

Numerous other treasures that I have stuffed into every closet and under every bed in the house.

From the top of my head:

Sansui QSD-1: $2.50 sold for $750 in 10 minutes on Ebay

SAE 500: free throw in with Tandberg RTR and deck purchase. The RTR paid for the deck, the SAE, 100 reels, and a few other things.

JBL L26's: $10

SBX 3BX: $5

Pioneer CT-F1250 deck $20

Sony TC-366 RTR: $10

Advent Originals: $10

Sansui G-33000: $150

Fisher The 600 Tube Receiver: $10

Pioneer SX-1280: Free - it was too loud for the environment it was in!

Marantz 2220B with wood case: Free and currently my office receiver.

Tandberg TR-1055 Receiver: $10 built like two tanks. currently pushing my HPM-150's in my video set-up.

JBL 4333awx's $150.00 Canadian
Threshold S-150 $150.00 Canadian
one pair of GEC nos circa 50's KT77's .50 cents Canadian

mant more but these are the freshest, most memorable. A friend just bought a pair of 15 inch gold Tannoys last week!!!!

Best so far:

Klipsch Heresy (1975 vintage) pair, $7.99 each - one bad tweet (fixed)

Onkyo TX-3000, $14.99 - "tuned" bulb out (fixed)

Sansui 6060, $4.00 - dial light fuse out (fixed)

Fun hobby, this :)

TP

Decent scores

- Marantz 2220B/wood case $5
- Mission 700S $5
- Pioneer SX535 $5
- Marantz 2100 $5
- Dual 1225 $5
- Akai CS34D $5
- Rotel RX603 free
- Kenwood KA-9150 $33
- Kenwood KT-7550 $33
- Kenwood KX-1003 $33
- Large Advents $70

And all in Canadian dollars, in the last 6 months. I've just started this and peices don't show up very often.

Dynaco PAT4 & ST120 C$ 5.00 ( Garage Sale )
650 LP's C$ 110.00 ( Garage Sale )
Realistic Minimus 7's C$ 2.00 ( Garage Sale )

Hey Lynn

Do the minimus 7s work? I need some parts to repair a few sets I have here. there are a few different models of tweeter for these speakers.

The 7's work fine and I use them from time to time when running a mini system that I listen to when working outside.

BTW - Thanks for the call the other night. Maybe we can get together sometime.

My treasures.

My contribution to this thread is scoring a pair of 16ohm Alnico Altec Valencias at SA store.I had heard of the brand name but had never seen or heard a pair of these speakers.SA had no equipment I could use to audition them before I bought them,so I had to decide whether to buy them or pass.I bought them for$350 Australian(about $185 US at the time).
These speakers probably hadn't been fired up in 10 years,so they weren't initially impressive,however within 4-5 hours I had deided to pack up my Proacs for good.
They've been a revelation.Based on the performance of these speakers I have completely changed every component in my system and am now,more than ever a VERY happy music lover indeed.:) :p: :D

Stereofisher

I have had a lot of good stuff cheap over the years. My best finds include a Fisher 500c in 1998 for $20 and got it in shape for another $20. Ran it for five years. Just sold a Pioneer QX-949 Quad that I got in 1997 for free that got paired with a mint pr of Dynaco A-25's. My latest finds include a pair of AR-4X's from Salvation Army $25 and a Nakamichi B-1 cassette deck on Ebay for $40

The list goes on. My Dual 1229 with a Shure V15 type III for 100 bucks. Needed work but after a good cleaning and lubrication, its still fine after three years of use! :D After some grief this spring I got a nice working Miracord 50H turntable for $46. :D My Thorens TD-160 for $135 and Dual 1009 mint for $75 has me set for LP's for a long time.

Pair JBL C36 Viscounts with D130/077/N7000 (1962), worked perfectly, $40 for the pair.

Pioneer SX626 receiver, worked fine... $2.80

Harman-Kardon Award A300 tube integrated amp... FREE.(needs volume pot replaced... but HEY it was FREE!!)

Advent 201 "Dolby" cassette deck (top-loader), found laying OUTSIDE at a flea market, bought for $2, took home, hooked up, IT WORKS...

JBL L88 Cortina speakers, $20 for the pair

Bose 901 Series 1s, $12 for the pair, found the stands later at the same store (!), got those for $5!

Marantz DS930 speakers (12" 4-way), $15 for the pair, all they needed was refoaming. Still kicking myself for selling them, they were some of the best sounding speakers I've EVER heard, and the parquet inlaid walnut woodwork was astounding...

Sony TC651 reel-to-reel, $10 (worked!)

Pioneer SX1010, $50, kept that one for 10 years, sold it and now miss it... :(

Kenwood KR9600 (!) $120, same as SX1010...

Dual 505-2 turntable, $8

Technics SL23 turntable (yeah, THAT one), $7, TWICE (as in I bought one, then months later, BAM, there was ANOTHER one, for the SAME price)!

THREE DIFFERENT Marantz 2220B receivers, $20 each. And a 2226 for $15! And they ALL worked!

And the best story for last: AR-XA turntable... now THIS one is EERIE. Had an AR-XA in college (bought in 1986 for $60), sold it in 1988 when I ran out of money. Went shopping in a thrift store in north Atlanta a few months ago, BAM, there was an AR-XA, for $12. Bought it immediately. Here's where it gets interesting... it had a square-base black plastic tonearm rest/holder... now, the guy I work for, said that AR NEVER used that tonearm rest, and that he'd never seen one before. What that means, is that this ALMOST MUST be the SAME EXACT turntable I sold back in 1988! And the other details fit- it's got the same cracks in the dustcover I remember (one corner has a chip knocked out, the other has a crack with some white paint that got scraped onto it moving in 1986), just like my old one. What's the odds of that?!?!?!?!?:eek: Is this karma's way of saying that I SHOULD own this turntable???

Regards,
Gordon.
who needs to learn when not to tempt fate by selling some stuff... :dunno:

Thrift Store Finds Continued

Talk about Karma, I got an LP by Arturo Tosocanini of Schuberts Symphony #9 mainly because the jacket was cool. It had a binder like a library book and the LP is in fair condition. Heres the jist, the original buyer got it on Oct 3,1958 and I got on Oct 3,2003!!! That is spooky about that AR table coming back.

Forgot to mention a Free Pioneer SX-535. It was in and out of here so fast. My sister needed a working receiver. Cleaned it up and out it went. Also forgot my Dynaco stuff. One owner PAS 3 preamp, FM tuner, and Stereo 70---all for $30. Traded it for a Mac receiver. Wish I had it back.:mad:

Oh well, like I am fond of saying- and many already know "if you had it once, you can have it again" That's the fun part of this hobby. Wish I had room for round screen TV's. Love them old CTC 10's and the first Zeniths. Wish these companies still were owned locally:(

It was an e-bay buy and I don't remember what I paid, but not much. I had to replace the power switch, but had done nothing else. Put it on the bench Sunday and although I am a restorer and not a collector, this CR-1020 is going to replace my CR-820. That CR-820 is the last of the re-veneered triplets, so after a check up it is going on sale. If I ever get those RTA-12Cs (not getting answers to e-mail) I'll need the power. On FM it nearly pegs the meter with rabbit ears in the basement!

Rob

Oh, one detail about the AR-XA story that makes it even spookier...

The store I bought the turntable from in 1986, closed due to roadwork/road widening (they tore the place down, IIRC) about 1991.

The thrift store I bought the AR-XA from recently, was LESS THAN 1/4 MILE from the location of the stereo store from old, ON THE SAME ROAD.

Man, is it just like, the turntable just went "home" (as close as it could get, to the original location) to wait for me to find it again???

And if that wasn't enough: about 1 week after re-buying the turntable at the thrift store, I went into a pawn shop near where I live, and BAM, there was the DUDE THAT SOLD ME THE TURNTABLE in 1986... he'd BOUGHT the pawn shop! I hadn't seen him since 1990!

Doo dee doo doo doo dee doo doo (humming Twilight Zone theme song)... :eek:

Regards,
Gordon.
now figuring the world might possibly come to a sudden violent end if I sold the turntable again?? :dunno:

I started 4 years ago looking for a garage stereo now I have a problem. I started doing this for profit thinking what kind of fool would pay me $50 for this old piece of crap marantz that I paid $8 for. Well times have changed after selling hundreds of things on the bay. I now am a hoarder with pieces stuffed everywhere. I had to even rent a storage unit for speakers that are "keepers"

Marantz: 7, 18, 27, 28,112, 1060, 1070, 2015, 2215b, 2220, 2225, 2226,2230 x2,2230b, 2245, 2252, 2100, 3250b, 4230 maybe more.

Pioneer: sa 5800 & tuner, sx 1050, sx 750, sx 580, sx3900, qx 9900, qx 747 and more somewhere

Sansui: 2000a, 5000x, au & tu 70 couple ra 500's, tu 710, qa 500 and again more around here.

2 Pilot consoles a 1402 and a 3602 both complete mint and working well.

Phase linear 400, A 30 and A 60

Luxman M117

Optonica sa 5601

A few R2R's Teac quad, norelco, revere.

Speakers: Ads l710, speakerlab K horns, Pioneer HPM 100, cs 77a,88a 99, Infinity Qjr, Klipsch heresy, jbl l112, 2 sets B&W, 2 sets kef, EV arisocrats(kits), Mach ones, 3 pairs ar 2ax, a slew of older cabs with Jensen, heathkit, stephens and ev speakers.

There in quite a bit more that I can not see from here or rermember.

This may well be the replacement for my alcohol problem but which is worse. I have also aquired most of the test equip that I may need I just am looking for someone to come over and teach me how to use it. All of this came from a thrift and then some, most of my furniture came from there due to my low funds and not really caring what I put my butt on now married that has changed.

Best buys at thrift store, garage sales...

Probably my best buy was a set of original Allison 1's for $5.00 at a garage sale in the Chicago suburbs. Had to replace the surrounds on all four of the 10" drivers but they're wonderful. Always wanted a set and now they're my favorites.

Another good buy was a Sansui G5000 for $5.99 at Goodwill and also a pair of Pioneer HPM 900's for $12.99...one of the woofers needs reconing but they're still great.

Hey tracer... if the voice coil and spider are still intact on the broken HPM900 woofer (as in the standard shattered cone but everything else still intact syndrome), I may be willing to "take it in trade" toward the one original woofer in my HPM900s.... ie, you send me the dead one and some $, I send you an original one, with a good original cone (and a fresh re-foam job).

I already had to recone one of them (and have a second aftermarket replacement paper cone available, to do another one, so I could have a matched pair of reconed drivers, as long as the original voice coil is intact on the broken woofer), and the cabinets on my HPM900s aren't that great, anyway. I wouldn't mind terribly having aftermarket woofer cones (sounds identical to the original, anyway, AFIACT, so it's not like there's any significant performance alterations) in both of them. Would actually be kinda nice for both to look the same, even if they're not original...

Email (gwaters@postmaster.co.uk) or PM me if you want...

Regards,
Gordon.

Woo hoo... almost forgot, ANOTHER score today.

Dynaco A25s, even still have the original Dynaco brass nameplate on the fronts... $3.50 for the pair!

Haven't hooked them up to try them, but I can fix anything that could be wrong with them, anyway (I've already reconed a couple of those drivers in the past, no big problem)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom