Celestion ditton 15 $10.00 for pair tag sale
ADC MK11 improved cartridge new in box $3.00 tag sale
Denon 1500 cdp $20.00 GW
Gladding Audio Mark 200a receiver $8.00 GW

Funny what we remember...

1) I'm going to start cruising the local SA and GW

2) Isn't it funny what we remember?

Wife's birthday? Hmmm.....
Where did I get that HK 730? Garage sale, $10, replaced a fuse and 2 lamps, cleaned the pots (the face plate was a bugger to get off) and it was good to go; remember it like yesterday!

My 2 cents: Sansui 2000X rcvr free from my friendly neighborhood trash collector, only the tuner dial need attention.
Mint Pioneer TX-9500 tuner given to me from a friends dad.
The best though, is this tale. When renewing my drivers liscence I stopped at a TV repair shop to look around. The tech(?) showed me a pre-amp and matching amp that he wanted to sell because "when I plug my cd player into the "disc" jacks it sounds horrible, so you'll have to fix that."
Hmm, I didn't want to tell him that "disc" meant phono in the early 70's, so I got the pre and power amp for $250. They both work and sound spectacular. Did I mention that i'm referring to an Accuphase C-200 and P-300? Yeah that was a good day for me!

Nice but i got all ya beat!!!

:yes: Pawn Shop- Suspect it was from the dot com bust but in 2000 I found a Linn Majik and Linn 100w amp(forget the model $1200 each new) $65 each..you should have seen me tryin to get then down on the price it was pathetic! Faroudja DV1000 @ same shop for $165($5500 new) a shop up the street had a B&W CDM set-CDM9's and CDM 1's, had to pay $1000 for them though. My guess is they have no "Bluebook"! The currently have some Jamo HT stuff. Problem is, they wont nego. on ANYTHING!

Oh yea almost for got the Bozak Sym.No.1's at a church sale $20!!
Spent $75 at chiropractor afterwards!

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Lets see what I found. Most in Very Good shape.
Thrift stores...
Sansui 9090DB $25.00
DCM TF400 speakers $50.00
Pioneer PL-51 TT $10.00
Pioneer CT-M6R $30.00

Flea Market.......
Carver DTL-50 $3.00
Pioneer CT-F850 $5.00

Pawn shop.....
Altec Santana's $50.00
Onkyo DX-7500 $20.00
Pioneer CS-99A $40.00

Good Hunting.

My Cheap Finds

Denon DRM-400 Cassette deck $5.00 Garage Sale
Technics RS-B40 Cassette Deck $2.00 Church Fair
Both immaculate

My Favorite
Pioneer CT-A7 Cassette Deck $8 Recycle Centre
Needed some repairs, new belts ($6) works perfectly now still need outside cassette door

Sony MDS-JE510 Minidisc Deck $12 Garage Sale
Pioneer PL71 DD Turntable $5 Garage Sale

Lovan Speakerstands $5 (sell for $200 here) Garage Sale

and many more, I think you just have to keep looking and the stuff will find you

chrish said:
:yes: Pawn Shop- I found a Linn Majik and Linn 100w amp(forget the model $1200 each new) $65 each..you should have seen me tryin to get then down on the price it was pathetic! Faroudja DV1000 @ same shop for $165($5500 new)

Damn, them Aborigines have some nice stuff down there!! :yes:

Guy at work gave me a Pioneer PL-560 TT. It works great! He had a Audio Technica
Pro-13e cartridge on it but it didn't come close in sound quality to my blue Grado.
I was using a PL-100 but the 560 is much better. And price was right...

Last edited:
the deal on this Marantz made me dance

Howdy,

I am new to this neck of the woods...(in fact I just joined)
I bought a Marantz 2252B in absolute MINT shape yesterday for $14.99 Canadian! Yipee... :banana:
this is not the first such find I have made, but it is one of my better ones.
Searching for vintage stereo Equipment (sold cheaply) has become a hobby for me.

This game takes patience, keep fishing the oysters and sooner or later you will a pearl.... but you need to be prepared to walk out empty handed MOST of time, and A car that is fuel efficient helps too ;)

My favorite thrift shop finds:

Technics SA-500, pristine, $19 at Goodwill.
Sansui G-5500, even more pristine, $19 at SA

At a local (non-chain) thrift shop my finds have included the following:

Scott S-15s, $8 - excellent condition. A very sweet sounding pair of speakers, particularly for jazz

KLH 32s, $8 - Very good condition after replacing the caps. Nicest small speakers I ever had.

Two pair of Fisher XP-55b for $1 each. if you ever have the chance to pick up a pair, I highly recommend them (especially at that price!). Gave mine away in vintage systems I put together for friends.

NAD 6140 tapedeck, $5 at same place. Excellent working condition, sounds very good.

Philips 406 turntable, $8 - A real surprise. Beautiful, functional, and an excellent sounding table. Amazing headroom and bass extension in a lightweight package.

And most recently, a Lafayette LR-440 quad receiver, $7. Working but not particularly impressive, but hey, it's my first quad.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't remember at the moment!

Well, since this thread has been resurrected, I better take advantage of this opportunity to brag.

Goodwill has provided me with the following:

Magnepan MG-I - $20
Infinity Quantum 2 - $15 (25% off sale)
Design Acoustics D-12 - $18
EPI 120 C - $5

Pioneer SX-737 - $10
Dynaco SCA-35 - $5

St. Vincent de Paul: Dynaco A-25 - $7

Salvation Army: Bozak 302A - $25

Well, those are my best thrift store scores, but not all my scores, of course. This has been over the course of the last year. I must say I’ve been quite fortunate. Now, I just have to wait and see what will turn up this year.

- JP

Edit: I should've written Pioneer SX-727, not 737.

Last edited:
Balthazarr:

It's a total crapshoot; you have to be there before someone else who collects gear gets there first. Most "good" stuff won't be on the rack for more than a couple days, if that. I picked my Carver TFM-35 up seconds after the employee set it down.

So go as often as you can; but expect to leave empty handed most of the time. You're not going to walk in and find racks of untouched treasure; too many folks know the story here.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Well, I do believe I have something better to add to my list.

As of this morning (5/30/2005), I came into possession, wholly thanks to Goodwill, of a pair of Tannoy Berkeleys for the grand total of $40. The tale is chronicled here.

I do believe that counts as a 'score.'

- JP

Judging from this thread, there are a lot of good deals out there if we just had the time to look. My schedule allows me time to look and I've found plenty of great deals. There's a picture of some of my finds on the "my "play" room" thread.

One of my best finds ever: $25 for my SX-1280

Also: a Thorens w/Grado wooden arm for $10. Sold AS-IS on ebay for $480

Best deal ever: I know it's not vintage solid-state, but I found my working 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb, which I gig with, in a pile of trash 2 blocks from my home. :D

re: best deals

Picked up a Telefunken TR-414, Yamaha R-700, and a Kenwood KR-2300 all for 25 bucks today at a flea market. Telefunken needed a slew of lights and filter caps, sounds prety good for such a pile. The kenwood was filthy inside, needed a light and some caps were leaking, sounds not to bad, but still its a receiver(yuk). The Yammer was fried on the left channel, right ok, after replacing almost every active component on the left side I have restored proper voltage and will put in a new output. Excellant quality sound from the yamaha on the right channel looking forward to my part to comming in. All in all I had a fun day expecially with the Telefunken receiver, looks prety weird inside but very simple. The output device(25 bucks) is my only other out of pocket expence as I had all the other parts in stock.

Some really great stories in this thread :thmbsp: . Timing is everything and I often find junk. Albums, cassettes, and CD's are another story - I've found some real treasures and rarities. As for equipment:

Marantz 1060 integrated amp and matching 110 tuner, both work and in very good condition (a bit of paint splatter on the metal cases): $30 for both at a no-name hole-in-the-wall thrift store.

Infinity Reference One bookshelf speakers in near mint condition - even the tweeter domes and surrounds are perfect :D : $14 at GW.

I'll keep looking as time permits.

Good Luck to all AK'ers in their search for vintage audio nirvana on the cheap!

lfender said:
Best deal ever: I know it's not vintage solid-state, but I found my working 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb, which I gig with, in a pile of trash 2 blocks from my home. :D

hot damn, i found my brownface fender deluxe for 40$ from a chick i was banging's grandpa.... pretty similar deals, schweet.

my best scores were, marantz 2385B-$2.00 at a thrift store needed a fuse,was a beautifull peice, DLK 3s at a thrift store-$5.50,good sound, very few nicks in the cabinets, i still have them stored,pioneer-SX-1980 at a yard sale for $70.00, that was stolin out of my car during a move,I still shake when i think of that. the bird

Back
Top Bottom