Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I know! I scored on this one. I'm curious to try it out. It's pretty good quality. But it won't displace my Rancilio S-24.

Nothing, ever, the thrift stores in my area have diddly squat. Even CL blooows. As Pat Travers would say. "If it wasn't for bad luck. I wouldn't have no luck at all"

Few records today...

Hall & Oates - Live @ Apollo
Hall & Oates - Ooh Yeah!
Hall & Oates - Big Bam Boom
Journey - Captured
Journey - Escape
Aerosmith - Rocks
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage I
10cc - Deceptive Bends
Foreigner - Self
The Cars - Panorama
The Cars - Shake It Up
Sammy Hagar - Three Lock Box
Asia - Self

Also a couple rare-ish classical pieces... Can't pass that stuff up.

Found these by the garbage. A refoam and some cabinets work and they will be good to go!!! The grills are good.

jjrbxx.jpg

Found a nice little Realistic STA-450 for $4 at the GW Outlet. It has a small footprint and a mono button, so it should make a nice bedroom receiver. It is voiced a bit dark, but I suspect that will work well with the Mini-7s.

I believe that there is an internal 110V/220V switch inside that Pioneer SX-880

Well sadly not - I got the service manual from hifiengine and found there are several version of this amp. Two are dedicated 120V ( US and Canada models) and two are switchable (general export and US military(!!)). I checked the transformer model in mine and it is the transformer for the 120V only model and there's no switch to be found. Question is, do I run it off a step-down transformer and see if it works ok or just return it to the charity shop / dump it ???

Can add an easy 100 to my previous list... Alan Parsons, Leon Live, Brand X, more 10cc, Thin Lizzy, Alice Cooper, Disco Circus, and the list goes on. Big rock score for $1 a pop. Lots of cleaning to do! This might take a while...

Found The Incredible Soul of BB King on vinyl for $2 in exc shape.
Just watched the most recent episode of PBS American Masters on B.B. King today (excellent show, I might add). While we were watching it I said to my wife that I've never seen a B.B. King LP in the thrifts.

I was at a thrift yesterday and witnessed something really odd; I was paging through the LPs with another fellow. I was finding mostly Herb Alpert and Eddy Arnold stuff in my bin, but he was picking out CSN and Heart and Zeppelin in his. He'd look at the jacket, see that it had some slight water damage, and mumble "friggin junk" and put it back (maybe he needed nice jackets). I found 11 albums after he left, all with slightly warped jackets, all wound up being near mint vinyl. 50 cents each, not too bad:
Heart-Dreamboat Annie
Crosby Stills and Nash-Self Titled
Crosby Stills and Nash-CSN
Led Zeppelin-4
Led Zeppelin-In Through the Out Door
Elton John-Tumbleweed Connection (w/lyric book)
Elton John-Don't Shoot Me (w/insert intact)
Jefferson Airplane-Surrealistic Pillow
Peter Frampton-Comes Alive
REO Speedwagon-You Get What You Play For
The Knack-Get the Knack

^^^ Dreamboat Annie is a really good sounding album. As for the albums, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I guess some people only want mint covers? Whatever, I'm sure I've left some behind that other people have been psyched to get.

^^^ Dreamboat Annie is a really good sounding album. As for the albums, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I guess some people only want mint covers? Whatever, I'm sure I've left some behind that other people have been psyched to get.
Very true. He did leave with a few, but I'm glad he left the others behind.
At on point, he pulled out a "Manilow II" album, looked at me, and said "This guy is at every thrift I go to."

Picked up another turntable this afternoon from a CL ad. Seller said it needed a belt but when I picked up the platter the belt was there, just not on the pulley. Installed a cart as the cart there was missing the stylus adjusted the suspension springs and gave it a spin quite happy with it. I don't have any belt drives other than my Empire tables. I always was interested in getting a PF800 but even better this is the Yamaha PF1000.

ua,aj 001.JPG

Back
Top Bottom