Best TUBE integrated amp under $1,000

Just to be clear on what Bonsai has said... The VTA ST-120 with the stepped attenuator option is not an "integrated amp" per se. As most know, the Dynaco ST-70 off which the VTA ST-120 was created was a BASIC amplifier with no volume control. The VTA ST-70 and ST-120 can be made into a single high level input intergrated amplifier by the addition of the VTA stepped attenuator. The VTA stepped attenuator replaces the unused stereo/mono switch on the front of the amp and allows the use of any SINGLE high level signal source such as a CD player, FM tuner, mp3 player etc. to be plugged directly into the amp. The VTA ST-120 has no selector switch for multiple inputs. If you have multiple inputs you will need a preamp. That said, the stepped attenuator on the ST-120 may also be used WITH a preamp as a master level control. Under normal conditions you would turn the attenuator all the way to the right when using the attenuator with a preamp. The audio signal now goes through a single solder connection on each channel. If, however, your preamp is set up so that you get too much volume in the first quarter turn of the volume knob, the attenuator may be set at the 12 o'clock or some other position. Set up this way, the amp will now require more input from the preamp and you will be able to get more "range" on your preamp's volume control. Composite photo of the VTA ST-120 without the stepped attenuator and a close up of the attenuator installed.

Bob Latino

SAcomposite_2.jpg

So what did you get, I have a Shuguang i12 that sings beautifully.

didn't think 12 watts would go so far.

I want to take the plunge into a tube amp, but I have a general question first. Let's assume it's the most basic version of an integrated amp....i.e. it has a volume knob. The first thing I do when listening to anything with a receiver is to adjust the bass and treble knobs up from 0 gain. Am I wrongly assuming that 0 gain is the closest sound to the way the record was produced? With volume only control, it is being sent to the speakers from the amp the way it was recorded right? Question is, how do you get over wanting some records more or less bass and treble infused with no control? How does a tube pre-amp with volume only's signal differ from a receiver with freq's nulled? I know that the null setting is midpoint on a receiver, not all the way to the left.
Thanks in advance for the help and time.
Jeff

Hello jeff
I’m in the same situation as you. I’m considering buying an ALMARRO A318B integrated amp but I’m hesitant because of the lack of tone controls as well as not being able to connect a subwoofer to the amp. My sub has speaker level inputs but no outputs. I wish someone could give his/her opinion about this subject.

+1, point to point wiring in a new unit at this price is pretty amazing.

+2

I have had both, and both are great units! The Primaluna will be more detailed and not as warm. The Cayin allows you to switch between Ultralinear and Triode and comes with a remote.

If going the vintage route, you could do a lot worse than a Fisher 500B or a Fisher 500C (the 500B is the warmer of the two).

Excellent amp for a great price at the moment is the Dynaco SCA 35. Pretty nice iron driven by 6BQ5s. Can be had for under 3 bills. My two cents.

I owned a Dynaco SCA-35 and it really sounded great with matched tubes from Gold Aero. Unfortunately it got "lost" when we moved after I retired. There was a lot of shuffling going on and somehow it never showed up when the truck got here. I wish they would make a tube amplifier today that matched the SCA-35's look, enclosed case, not too big, phono input. It was a very nice package.

I own a modified revon SE 6L6 mini Amp.
Also an Yaqin ML-10 and a YAQIN MS34.
My newest was the Audioromy M-828A, it arrived savely in 2 days from china.
But the sound was a little bit dump.
I changed the LS Control to ALPS 27 Series and add a 7H Chocke in Power Supply.
But the sound was not better. So I ordered pre Amp Tubes for testing.

Then today I received several tubes.
i.e. two USA Penta 5670 from 1973 tubes to exchange the chinese 6N3.
And I exchanged the russian 6n23P to the Phillips 6922 from 1987.
For the Audioromy M-828A this was an great improvement in the soundstage.
Womens Voices will now fly through the room and orchestral music will loose its stiffness.

These two types of tubes are a fantastic match for improvement of the Audioromy M-828A.
Changing the chinese FU29 to the russian GU29 is only a very little step foreward, but changing the 6N23 and 6N3 to Phillips 6922 and Penta 5670WA will change this Amp and take it to another stage in HiFi Ratings.

happy Listening
Dieter

Five years running on my MC-100B, and 3 years with the MS-12B phono preamp, and both of these sound as good as new (or better, since I'm using better tubes), and I've not had one single problem with either one. I'm extremely happy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear these are being sold anymore, at least not on eBay.

Charles.

For many that read this original post. Vintage will require a rebuild- no way around it.

Grant Fidelity has on special sale a Psvane TS66 for $399 (until stocks are gone). This leaves funds for a few upgrades. A view under the TS66 chassis shows good quality. Tubes are mainstream- 12AX7-12AU7-EL34. I like the input 12AX7 in SRPP circuit & twin tail phase inverter design. Change 12AX7 to a Telefunken or simular quality, dump the nasty 12AU7 and replace with Tungsram E80CC that is better than a 6SN7 and enjoy the music. :D

Last edited:
I guess I can't speak for anything else, but I am extremely happy with my Sherwood S-5000 (7189). Got it for $400 already restored on Craigslist.

Just saying, five years and the Yaqin MC-100B is still working flawlessly. (I bought it in January 2008). I bought a Yaqin MS-12B phono stage about a year later, and it's also been operating flawlessly since. The phono stage is really, really nice I might add.

Charles.

It would be hard to beat the TAD-60 for under $1000, usually around $800-$900 used. Then again it's usually hard to find one for sale as they aren't made anymore since Paul passed away, but still only 6-7yrs old, so they should all be in great shape.

Back
Top Bottom