Best tuner to match to M-2 amp? Beyond the T1?

plresults

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
-Howdy,

What are the puts and calls for the Yamaha tuners that would match well with an M-2? Is the T-1 their best ever performing tuner? Thanks for a couple of additional ideas beyond the T-1, and reasons to chose. S

Last edited:
Have a look at the T-2. Timeless looks, 7 gang, perfect match for the M-2, built like a tank (like the M-2) and considerably the best Yamaha tuner ever (maybe except the CT-7000).

yamahat2-1.jpg

From www.fmtunerinfo.com:

"Yamaha T-2 (1978, $750, black, silver, closeup, schematic, owner's manual) search eBay
The T-2 is a usually black (but occasionally silver) FM-only analog tuner with a 7-gang front end. Our panelist David "A." tells us that the T-2's tuning capacitor has one gang in front of the first MOSFET RF amp, three in front of the second MOSFET RF amp, two in front of the MOSFET mixer and one for the bipolar local oscillator. (However, our contributor Georges says there are two gangs, not three, before the second RF amp and three gangs, not two, after it.) The T-2 sounds excellent and one contributor says he prefers it to the CT-7000. The T-2 has four 3-pin ceramic filters, 2 for the wide IF bandwidth setting and 2 more for narrow mode, and should be suitable for modification with narrower filters. Our contributor John V. says: "The T-2 is one of the best-sounding tuners solid-state tuners I have owned. It is incredible how open it is in the mids and top, and still has bass, almost as smooth as tubes. Easy to use." Our panelist Ray chimes in, "I found the T-2 to be a great urban DXer. I also put it in my main sound system to square off sonically with my recently modded SAE Two T3U. The T-2 came off a bit thin and mechanical sounding in the mids by comparison... I did say a bit."

Our contributor Paul Bigelow reviewed the T-2 in our Yahoo FMtuners group:

"The Yamaha T-2 was manufactured in the late 70s and is available in several versions. It is a high-quality FM-only tuner with a heavy aluminum case and digital readout. The tuner is analog. No presets. Scope outputs are available. The tuner does have a defeatable auto-tune circuit. A silver-faced unit was produced for Japan. Other markets had multiple voltages, and an additional digit for FM.

The circuit has two RF amps 3sk45 -- a good dual gate MOSFET with a respectable noise figure (there are better). The mixer is a 3sk45 as well. The tuning capacitor is 7 gangs: 1 for the antenna, 2 for the first RF amp, 3 for the second RF amp. The oscillator gets one section. The 10.7 IF then goes though an adjustable IF transformer then on to the 'IF strip.' My version of the T-2 utilizes 5 3-pin ceramic filters. Each is accompanied by an IF transformer. The filters all appear to be identical: green with a white dot. Three are used for wide, an additional two are added in for narrow. There are no 'separate' IF paths. It must be stated that the service manual and its schematic differ from my tuner. The schematic and picture show 4 'blocks' of 3-pin filter and IFT as a unit. These may be difficult to modify. The 5-ceramic filter unit should be relatively easy to modify after the heavy case is removed. The IF amps are a combination of Toshiba 7060P and UPC577H IC IF amps. The signal then reaches the discriminator/ratio detector. The detected signal is then demodulated into stereo by the Sanyo LA3350. This IC is supposedly known for high SCA rejection. The separated signal is then sent to the discrete AF stage. This stage makes good use of film caps and differential amps. Output is either fixed or variable. All tuner voltages (except for the lamps) are regulated.

Using the tuner can be a bit tricky. There is a Hi Sensitivity / Hi Selectivity Switch and there is an Auto DX/Local switch. As best I can tell from the schematic, the Hi Sensitivity / Hi Selectivity switch only affects the gain of the RF amps. I do not think it switches the IF filters. That job apparently is left to the Auto DX/Local switch. I think for DX use the best combination is Hi Sensitivity ON and Auto DX ON. The Auto DX will 'automatically' switch filters as needed. The additional filters get switched out with strong signals. I think this arrangement is a bit awkward, but it seems to work out OK.

Performance Impressions (as compared to my tuners):
Sensitivity: Good sensitivity. I think the SAE MKVI is more sensitive, as are the Kenwood KT-7001 and Marantz 10B.
Selectivity: Very selective (in DX mode). Only the 10B is better [of Paul's tuners - Editor].
Noise: Very quiet. The Sumo Charlie has better quieting sensitivity. The T-2 is about on par with the 10B.
Stereo separation: Very, very wide. Almost as good as the Charlie.
IP3 [third-order intermod rejection - Editor]: About as good as the 10B. The Charlie is better -- go figure!
Tuning Knob 'feel': Little backlash, just a hint of wobble. The 10B is superb -- no backlash, play, or wobble."

Our contributor Brian M. adds, "The T-2 has many useful features that the Fanfare FT-1A lacks. I think reception is pretty close, the T-2 being a little better, but the T-2 allows me to do some fine tuning to receive things the Fanfare can't. And the Fanfare doesn't have the life and definitely not the highs of the T-2." Our contributor JR tells us that the T-2 has a "blend" toggle switch "which includes AUTO, which dynamically changes the blend according to the quality of the signal (internal processing), and OFF, which allows full stereo when available (and when Mode isn't set to Mono)." See our contributor PZ's introductory paragraphs at the top of this page for more info on the T-2. See how one T-2 sounded compared to other top tuners on our Shootouts page, and read David "A"'s Ricochet for another perspective. An owner's manual for the T-2 may be downloaded free from the Yamaha website. On eBay, the T-2 can sell for anywhere from $160-200 (with a low of $122 in 10/08) to $425 or more for mint ones, with an all-time high of $500 in 8/06."

The T-2 is the way to go. Significantly cheaper than the marginally better CT-7000.

Thanks for the insights! How hard is it to find a T-2? What is a reasonable price range for it?

I would also add the T-7 which has the nice motorized automated preset feature. Performance-wise it should be in the same league as the T-1, the T-2 being considered as Yamaha's best tuner. I only listened to my T-7 and it sounds very good to me. Knowing that today, it is rare to find very good quality FM streams (too much compression, loudness). The T-85 is also considered a very good tuner.

With a strong signal the T-2 provides a very full and musical sound. To the point where its hard to believe it is a tuner. On weaker signals the T-80/T-85 pulls them in a little clearer but is just not as musically satisfying to my ears as the T-2. I you like changing stations a lot, the digital T-80/T-85 with presets is a whole lot more convenient than the old school method of turning the dial dozens of times on the T-2.

I really like the elligant and trim design of the T-2. It is solid as a brick and has a nice quality feel to its controls. The CT-7000 certainly is an impressive looking tuner, and some say it is an even better tuner but it is huge in comparison to the T-2.

Last edited:
Agree with all the above posts. The T-2 tuner is outstanding. With a dead quiet background, it truly is hard to believe you are listening to a tuner. Both of mine are my most used source.
Good luck on your hunt. They are out there. Expect to pay handsomely for a good quality example.
Considering the complexity of the curcuitry, I'd stay away from any units with issues.

If and when I snag a T-2. Its going to PunkerX for a tune up.

I bought a used T2, which I repaired, recapped and sent to Punker-X for a tuning.

Like everyone says, you would think you were listening to a local source. It sounds that good.

Back
Top Bottom