Best Vintage Speaker Kickoff!

audioguy

Tubes warm my soul!!!
This is for who thinks what vintage speaker is best for sound from their experience. Smooth mids and highs with solid bass. Mainly would be for rock music. I know tubes and ss affects speakers individually. I am mainly looking at klipsch or ADS l810 right now. I know a lot about klipsch like chorus and fortes, so i am mainly looking about more info on ADS, like woofer longevity. I know klipsch the drivers you don't have to worry about. How is this for ADS and other brands. Also some ohm walsh 2's i see local. I don't know if they are good for rock or not though. I would like to see some comparisons here, and what do you recommend.

ns-1000m

If you can find them, they won't dissapoint. HPM-100, also very good. NS-690- great bang for the buck.

The 3 listed above would be my choice from ecperience.

Many other vintage speakers will offer you good sound.

Others I haven't heard but I'm sure will come highly reccomended are AR9, L-100 and DQ-10.

For mids and highs, ESL-57 are among some of the nicest I've heard.

Have owned ADS L880, very nice but IMHO, can't be driven quite as hard as the HPM or the NS.

Some of the older/bigger Infinitys are also strong contenders, had a pair of RSM which sounded good but seemed harder to drive than some others I had at the time.

Well the Altec Model 19 was the best speaker ever made, vintage or not, IMO. Any old "real" Altec should sound pretty good, by real I mean those with drivers based on their pro stuff----Iconics, Carmels, 19s, 17s, 14s, 604s, 605s, Valencias, VOTs, Boleros, 9844s and such. Such speakers will handle the volumes of rock and roll music with aplomb---very little compression and distortion.

IMO some Klipsches sound good, Fortes and Chorus are good, but some sound like your ears are being slashed with a straight-razor. And IMO (and I've owned many Klipsch speakers, "good" ones such as LaScalas, Cornwalls and Heresys) no Klipsch matches the good Altecs for naturalness of sound.

I haven't heard ADS speakers since they were being made and sold in shops. At the time they impressed me as being a better than most small box cone-dome type speakers, good but not great. And certainly unable to match the output and dynamics of large Altec or Klipsch speakers.

Now there used to be big ADS, a monitor they called it, that might make a show of good dynamics, but such ADSs seem rare.

Best I've ever heard were the four-column Infinity IRS V's. :music: I've heard a few people criticize them, but I seriously wonder how many people who do so have ever actually heard them properly powered and set up in an appropriate space(?). Hard to find anything to say about them other than that it is a near-religious experience to have heard them, in another league from other speakers (including high-end ADS, ESL, Magnaplanar, Klipsch, Altecs, JBL Everests, Advents, ARs, Genesis, Watt/Puppies, those rare Seimens, various horn configurations, and a bunch of other Esoteric high-end boutique speakers I've heard that sounded great... I won't even include HPM-100s, as they aren't even close to the ones just listed). The others "make good and realistic-sounding music"; the IRS Vs immerse you in another acoustic space, where the actual musicians are in front of you, but sometimes even more clearly distinguishable than in a real concert hall (because of mike placements). The detailing of locations within the soundscape has to be heard to be believed... yet it all sounds natural/real. Best audio sound I've ever heard, by some margin.

Of course, I heard these about twenty years ago, so I'm hearing them through the "rose colored hearing aid" of memory/time, and my impression today might be slightly less dramatic... but only slightly! :D

Tom Brennan, I remember absolutely lusting over a pair of Altec Model 19s back in the day...never did get them...never could quite squeeze out enough cash. Now I could probably afford a set but I really don't have the right place to put them in my house. If you own a set, you surely want to give them room to do their thing.

Anyhow, for space reasons, and for nostalgic reasons, and for reliability reasons, and for who knows what other reasons, I took the plunge some time ago with JBLs. I've loaded up my house with 4311s, 4312s, and L100s. I've purchased a whole slew of spare drivers, grills, grill frames, crossovers, mounting hardware etc. etc. so that I'm pretty much going to be in the JBL world for the rest of my days.

One of the other reasons I like the JBLs so much is that they seem to mate well with my collection of Marantz receivers.

I also have a set of Klipsch Chorus that I bought new and can't quite part with, although I've come close. Also have a bunch of Hafler and Yamaha hardware that I hope to sell soon.

In the end, I'll settle for the Marantz/JBL combination...but I gotta admit, I still lust after those Altecs. Do you still have them? If so, how do they sound when they're fed a diet of hard rock?

My bid will got in this order. Altec 19s for those who have the room.
Yamaha NS 2000, NS 1000 for those challenged by space.
JBL 4311 for those seeking great performance in a relatively small enclosure.

Altec tops my list for large speakers because they do sound great and can easily be repaired or rebuilt to good as or better then new and you need not worry if you blow a diaphram or woofer because high quality replacment parts and services are redily available and at reasonable costs.
Vintage speakers are great if you can fix them when they break without having to mortgage the farm or embark on a wild goose chase to find a questionable driver from another just as old donor.

Gary

My Jbl 4350's I should sell...
after a pair of westlakes now,until then so they stay.
anything from the jbl 43xx 44xx lines is pretty hard to beat.
Altecs same genes.
Cheap good stuff, a few of the older pioneers with the 15 inch a drivers.

Hellhound----The Model 19s are new to me, I've only had them a couple of weeks. I've owned-own lots of Altec stuff previously but not 19s.

Anyway the 19s are the best overall turnkey-one box Altecs IMO. Compared to earlier Altecs that have deeper bass and more extended and airy highs. They handle hard rock with ease. More importantly to me they pass the Ben-Hur soundtrack test with flying colors.

A couple of years ago I had a chance to get some L-300s in very nice shape for about $800. But I was living in a high-rise at the time and took a pass. I've used lots of JBL componenets over the years but never had a turnkey JBL system.

Pictured are the JBL pro 4648 bassbins I once used to augment my Altec A5s below 100hz.

Tom Brennan: Thanks for your response and opinions! I haven't thought about those Altecs in years...the picture is great...I do believe I still have some of that lust left...maybe it's time for a bigger house!

HH---here's one of the A5s the big JBLs were helping but with a JBL 2420 on an Edgar "saladbowl" horn substituting for the Altec 288 and multicell.

Attachments

• 515-2420.jpg
    515-2420.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 747
Tannoy Churchill Wideband (as they're now discontinued, and no longer available, they're effectively vintage, given how long they were made).

No other production speaker comes close, IMHO. Not even the Westminster... the Churchill just had a freedom from colorations and artifacts, that was REMARKABLE. And with BASS EXTENSION that NONE of the big Altecs could match. With BETTER coherence (point source dual concentric!) than anything else I've encountered, so far.

Put a pair of Churchills on a pair of VAC Musicblocks or a VAC Phi 110 integrated amp... I GUARANTEE you won't EVER want to leave the house!!

Regards,
Gordon.

IMO some Klipsches sound good said:
my klipschorns and scott 299b tube amp are a fantastic combination and the sound produced is neither harsh or unnatural. I own vmps speakers and those are awesome and extremely detailed, etc. but the klipschorns are also detailed but have a delightful musical quality. they are extremely engaging to listen to. tom petty's wild flowers played on this combo made my jaw drop. just throwing in my two cents. and to be honest I've never heard a pair of altecs.

I'm loving my altec jubals I just picked up from ejfud! Smooth highs and punch you in the gut tight bass :music:

You want excellent sound for rock or really anything else try to listen to a pair of AR9/90's. Great speakers that are well balanced from top to bottom and they go real low. They are going for quite a bit but you can sometimes fine some AR90's for around $500 and to me they would be the best $500 rock speaker you could find.

Gordon--C'mon, the Churchills can't sound as good as older Tannoys, they have ferrite drivers! ;-)

Seiously, my pal Kurt got hold of a couple of pairs of Churchill drivers and modified some JBL cabinets to suit them. Pretty good. He also mounted the drivers in open baffles with appropriate EQ.

Attachments

• Copy of fisher 009.jpg
    Copy of fisher 009.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 356
kfa888 said:
You want excellent sound for rock or really anything else try to listen to a pair of AR9/90's. Great speakers that are well balanced from top to bottom and they go real low. They are going for quite a bit but you can sometimes fine some AR90's for around $500 and to me they would be the best $500 rock speaker you could find.

Good suggestion. Great speakers.

I'll take a pair of AR-9s and Tom Brennan's 19's!

Cheers :D

Running 25 to 40watts of potential power and working with almost exclusively "lesser" brands, I don't feel sufficiently "schooled" where the more prominent name brands are concerned but like everyone else I do have an opinion.
I do recall back in the day(early-mid 70's) listening to Klipsch, some Altec end tables, of course Bose and I distinctly remember my first experience hearing electrostats. I have been trying to remember the brand for weeks now but it was one of those nights where everything just kind of "melted" together.:yes: They were set up between the living room and the dining room as room dividers and the grilles were the light-colored cloth typical of that time. The guy a/b'ed them with a pair of Heresays and we couldn't believe that something so thin could produce such clean an full sound at very high levels.
Timewarp to the present.
Over the last 6 months of so I have purchased (imo) quite a few sets of speakers, mostly "bookshelf" size in a wide variety of brands. Some were bought based on past experience(Bose), others were bought based on reviews found here and still others were picked up based on "cabinet thump" test and a few snagged because they were too cheap to say no. Most if not all are badged by manufacturers that at 1 time were fairly reputable and some still are.
Short list: (Pair prices)
Advent 1104 front surrounds ($12.50) not into surround systems per say but figured at least the drivers would be decent project material.

Cerwin Vega V 6F front surrounds? ($5) West Coast thump doesn't do anything forme but again drivers for future projects.

DCM Timepiece ($4) Name recognition, price and physical appearance. I love them

DCM FullTime Bass System ($6.50) same as other DCMs. Not as thrilled with the actual sound of those. A bit too subdued for my taste. May need re-working

Bose 301 Series III ($100) Name, past experience, physical condition. Part of a package deal ($200 for them and a pair of 901 Series VI w/ EQ and stands)

Bose 901 Series VI ($100) See above. On reflection, these may have been my only mis-guided speaker purchase but I haven't got anything running right now to give them the power they so seem to need to sound decent so that remeins to be determined.

Bose 301 Series II ($60) same seller as other Bose and I really like the 301's.

RtR Series IV C ($30) same seller as Bose. They sat there for months. Cabinet thump and overall physical appearance(binding posts, driver appearance,etc.) I had no clue that they were in fact quite a decent speaker.

Altec Lansing 103 (Sparkolansings) ($21) Name and curiousity after not finding any credible info on model #. Also got me access to another pair of Real Altecs.

Altec Lansing Model 8 ($20) Name, reviews here, price. IMO a steal at that price even though they need surrounds on woofs.

Sansui AS 200 ($32.50) Appearance and correct vintage for my Sansui Woody set up. Paired with a working Sansui 2000A($65) for both Origional owner.

Kenwood KL 2080 ($40) Name, vintage, origional owner.

JBL G40 $(20) Name, price, physical size.

Scott S11 ($25) Name, vintage, appearance, reviews of other Scotts here. Part of a $100 package deal

Johnzer K IV ($25) Vintage, curiousity, part of package with Scotts

KLH 32 2 pairs ($25 a pair) Name, vintage, origional owner, part of package deal with KLH 55 rx also ($25) all were being used when purchased.

Packard Bell Model??? ($20) Physical appearance (so retro looking) curiousity, price which they were worth to me just to discover the otential of the old Utah drivers in them. The mystery speaker thread was fun too.(Small minds are easily amused)

Hmmm, now that I look at it all listed out, it's no wonder it is crowded in here.
All told just over $500 in speakers, sheesh, it adds up after awhile.

It has given me an opportunity to audition some not so prominent speakers and I am finding at this point, the Scotts, DCM Timepieces, and definitely the KLH's seem to suit my ears very well. I am sure, once I get the surrounds done on the Model 8's, they will serve to provide that extra oomph for those times when I really want to "feel" the music that most of my smaller cabinets are not really made to provide. Of course more power couldn't hurt.
Hopefully over the next few months, I will be able to go thru each set, make necessary repairs and/or mods, refinish cabinets where needed and then give each set a fairly lenghty listen to gauge my take on each and post my observations. Hopefully in the long run, it will help others to find alternate brands of quality vintage speakers that tend to fall thru the cracks of vintage equipment. I am finding that there are quite a few decent speaker systems out there that are just looking for a new home and a little TLC.
This may have been a little off topic but sometimes the train of thought gets sidetracked.:smoke: :smoke:

This:

the_grand.jpg

Probably the best speaker ever made. IMhumbleO.

Apogee Grand.

Dont know if it's vintage, but if not, then the original Apogee, never reviewed, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom