Best vintage speakers for under $300?

I had a pair of JBL 830T's. A step up would be the 940T's. I liked the sound at the time I had them. Hell, even the 630T, depending on room size amy be well below your $300 base line.

solarol, that question is impossible to answer due to there being 1000's of speakers made and nobody can predetermine what model of speaker that will make itself available to you at any given time, sorry.... keep your eyes peeled and post a thread " hey is this speaker any good"?

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

That's how I started collecting...have probably owned or currently own 12+ pairs. Buy 'em right and if you don't like them you can flip them.
Jeff

BEST under $300

Thats a tough one as used vintage prices are all over the map. You have to toss out the concept of being hit by lightning and finding a top line pair for stupid low dollars as this rarely happens even though some posters would have you believe every thrift store and garage sale you attend with have them. I guess if you were willing to wait an unlimited period of time and visit 100's and 100's of these be prepared to pay a fair price for a good pair.
My top choices would be:
AR2AX
DYNACO A25
LARGE ADVENT
EPI 100
JBL ?
PIONEER HPM

In Canada I would add the RSC Santa Maria II and the Avant 4ax which are both wonderful and much under appreciated.

It depends on how patient you are, how picky you are with cosmetics and what 'sound' you prefer (east coast, west coast, British all are distinctive). What type of amplifier, source you are using is also a key. I have found the following all for $100 or less:

ADS 1230
Ohm Walsh 2
Celestion Ditton 44
Altec Santiago's
HPM 60 's
EPI 100's
Dynaco A25

People are often down sizing their stereos and often struggle to get ris of large speakers.

Dynaco A25's are nice but Vintage Wharfedales or Bozaks and I have had all 3,I prefer the latter 2 more than the Dynacos at least to me and can be had for under 3 Bills if you look! Best? well that's for each of us to decide what's the right ones for our ears/taste:)

People have touched on the subject but have not asked the direct questions.
If you provide an answer to these questions, maybe you will get a response that will narrow things down a bit.
Mind you, all of the recommendations are good.
How large is your listening room?
What type of music do you like?
Do you like it loud or at lower listening levels?
What type of amp/receiver, turntable or cd player or other source do you have?
THE best thing about vintage speakers is that you can experiment like crazy and for the most part, you can sell them at, near or above what you paid for them so it's basically a rental program until you settle down with keepers.
This to me is the best site to ask these questions as people here are great. But help us help you by answering these questions.
Prices do vary greatly by location. I see posts here that I just drool over the prices some people are able to get things at as my market is more expensive.
So don't think that all the prices mentioned here are gospel as it varies wildly depending on your local market.
Good luck.

People have touched on the subject but have not asked the direct questions.
If you provide an answer to these questions, maybe you will get a response that will narrow things down a bit.
Mind you, all of the recommendations are good.
How large is your listening room?
What type of music do you like?
Do you like it loud or at lower listening levels?
What type of amp/receiver, turntable or cd player or other source do you have?
THE best thing about vintage speakers is that you can experiment like crazy and for the most part, you can sell them at, near or above what you paid for them so it's basically a rental program until you settle down with keepers.
This to me is the best site to ask these questions as people here are great. But help us help you by answering these questions.
Prices do vary greatly by location. I see posts here that I just drool over the prices some people are able to get things at as my market is more expensive.
So don't think that all the prices mentioned here are gospel as it varies wildly depending on your local market.
Good luck.

Geez I feel so dumb. Just noticed the date of the original OP. Three years old.
Maybe he can get back to us and tell us what he's bought since or maybe what he'd like to sell:thmbsp::thmbsp:

Wow real old thread!
I will say to anyone in the market for vintage speakers, just be patient!
I have never paid over $300 for anything yet...almost all the speakers i have were under $100 actually.And they are all very nice both sonically and aesthetically.

+1 on the Dynaco A-25s. I regularly see them for less than $300. They are an extremely sweet and neutral speaker. Like everyone else said though, you may find a set of Sonus Fabers at a divorce sale a scorned ex-wife is having for $50. You just never know. If were talking Ebay though, the Dynaco is a good place to start.
The A25 looks kind of small for 100-150 wpc amps. I take it they don't handle that much?

I would say:

- Acoustic Research: AR5, AR2ax
- Wharfedale W70
- Dynaco A25

You cannot go wrong with those but it really depends on the tastes though.

Geez I feel so dumb. Just noticed the date of the original OP. Three years old.
Maybe he can get back to us and tell us what he's bought since or maybe what he'd like to sell:thmbsp::thmbsp:

Yeah.... The OP now OWNS Audiokarma and 5 other sites like it.

Nah, I'm just kidding. He doesn't own Audiokarma............ He MANAGES it... Yeah, that's the ticket. He's the head moderator. His nickname is "The Newbinator".

Anyway, while I'm here, I'm throw in my list.

Pretty-much any of the medium and large-sized Wharfedale W models from the '60's and early '70's are a bargain. If you've got the room, any of the W90 versions (W90, W90C, W90D) can be found for $300 if you shop patiently. Get them positioned right and throw something warm and tubey at them, and it's game over. And the 2-way W60's are the best medium-sized jazz speakers you're gonna' find for that kind of money, and they're equally-good with Beatles, Hendrix, Floyd, and all that other classic-rock stuff (I often see W60's selling for $150-$200 in great shape... Depends on where you look). The early '60's, ported W** models are incredibly-rich, full, lush, and open-sounding. Very-coherent with excellent separation (Harmonies/background vocals are especially-good). Below in my signature, you'll find a link for a demo video of my 2-way W60's. Quite an underrated speaker.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Klipsch KG4s for $100, and think they're one of the better bang-for-the-buck deals I've gotten. For $300, you have tons of options. I heard a pair of small Advents awhile back that truly impressed me for their size.

It's been said but if you could find ADS 1230,1290,1530, or 1590 under $300 it'd be a great deal unless they're trashed.

The OP lives in Australia--are all these brands even available there ???? Wharfedale for sure, but others ???

ADS L810 or L880

DCM TW1A or TF600

KEF C80

And at the moment I am smitten by these Vandersteen 2Ci.

Back
Top Bottom