Best Vintage Turntables

Not the best but I'm very happy with my Pioneer PL 12d. It's simple and sounds great. You can pick one up for $50 to $100. I also have a PL 5. It works good, but sometimes has a speed issue.

I thought the PL12D was a very good table, sound way better than it had any business sounding given its intended market placement. With a good quality cartridge and stylus (what sounds good to you) this table will sing.

My only critique is its a touch bouncy and hard to use with kids in the house.:thmbsp:

I really only started paying attention to vintage TT's in the past few months so I haven't noted trends, but it strikes me that prices are considerably higher now than those cited when this thread started 3 years ago. Am I mistaken?

Anybody have any experience with a Luxman P-405? It kind of has that cheap Pioneer/Technics look to it, but I'm intrigued by that tone arm....

Thorens hands down. I just picked up a TD 166 MKII for $150. I had been searching for tonewands for my TD 145 MKII, and the 166 came with 2. Different mounting positions so the armwands are not interchangeable without changing the tonearm height (easy), or using about 10mm worth of spacers (166 armwand on 145 TT)

The caveat on these Thorens is that the arm is low mass (about 7.5g) so not suitable for really stiff cartridges like a Denon 103. I am using a Denon DL-110 with great success though. I did add a bit of mass by sticking an 8 gram cast lead bullet in the back of the tonearm where an extra weight is screwed into the back to counter heavy cartridges.

I suggest the TTs with a wall wart power supply. eliminates hum.

I had no idea Matt Orme posted here, or if it was the same Matt Orme as from Aveox and later his own Razor motors - both top names in radio controlled airplanes from a few years back.

Matt passed away from cancer 12-31-13, but left behind a blog for his sons.

http://mattheworme.blogspot.com/

Looking through his blog, I see the same tapestry behind his equipment rack that's seen in this post, so it's the same Matt Orme.

The Razor motors Matt made were small brushless inrunners, 100~200 watt and most about the size of a half roll of Life Savers. They were commonly mounted in gearboxes and the style fell out of favor with the advent of cheaper, easier to produce outrunners that needed no gearbox. But the Razors were extremely efficient, I still have many of them even though I haven't flown RC in years.

He only had a handful of posts here, so our paths never crossed on this site. I hope he would have appreciated knowing that there was at least one fan of his motors on the board. :thmbsp:

ETA: Reading further, he worked for SpeakerLab in the late 70s and even had his own speaker brand "American Hi Fidelity".

Last edited:

Belt drive and idler covered here.

These are my picks.

155357481.jpg

158648583.jpg

To give my opinion on the matter as a nw entry in the thread, I think to quality as the best vintage tt it would require readiness in the market, price being a matter of a lesser subject. If one cannot find a certain model, no matter how good it is, its salient points for appreciation would be undermined.

So I recommend a delicate but strongly built Pioneer PL-L1000 to receive a title as the prime best vintage tt. Reasons being:

1. Best tangential (linear tracking) design principle using magnetically driven slide rails to position the stylus, along with photo sensors built in the arm base for such movements,
2. Quartz pll controlled speed.
3. Huge torque on it plattter motor
4. Easy compatibility with most cartrdge/stylus combinations by the ue of either a heavy or less heavy counter-weights.
5. Easy set-up relarive to most high end pivotal tone-arms.
6. Easy fully auto operation
7. Aesthetics

Terence

My 1950 Webster Chicago turntable.~~~~:yes:

Attachments

• 1950 WEBSTER CHICAGO.JPG
    1950 WEBSTER CHICAGO.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 56
Anybody have any experience with a Luxman P-405? It kind of has that cheap Pioneer/Technics look to it, but I'm intrigued by that tone arm....

I bought 1 in approx. 1986 and it was a supposed higher end for the time.....it sounded great! The tone arm is especially nice with it's counter balance adjustments and the pitch control. I put it in a box around 1988 and have just recently bought an amp w/phono input (Onkyo NR-TX656) and during the 3rd record the cartridge came apart. Now I'm wondering if it had a MC or MM cartridge....

I bought 1 in approx. 1986 and it was a supposed higher end for the time.....it sounded great! The tone arm is especially nice with it's counter balance adjustments and the pitch control. I put it in a box around 1988 and have just recently bought an amp w/phono input (Onkyo NR-TX656) and during the 3rd record the cartridge came apart. Now I'm wondering if it had a MC or MM cartridge....

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Most likely a mm cartridge. :idea:

Im a newbie. So here goes....I have a mint condition Technics SL QD 33 with a Shure/Realistic RXT5 cartridge with a new EV Stylus. All put together for just under 100 bucks which i purchased seperately from Flea Bay. This combo sings like a bird. Accompanied with my Onkyo TX 82 receiver and Klipsch Tower Speakers. Im in my little piece of heaven at the moment. However, This weekend im purchasing my brother in laws highly modified Technics SP1200 SLII with a V15 IV Cartridge and A Jico Sas needle for $700 bucks.

Last edited:
image.jpeg I didn't see too many 1200s listed when the thread was first written. I really like mine and it was $375 2 years ago. Mine is a 1200 3D with a At120e and ortofon blue cart. Now prices are outrageous. 500 dollars and up for really nice ones. At my local record store someone had turned in 4 1200s with boxes. They were listed at 725 each the next week they were all gone. The sl 1900 is a great turntable also. Quiet automatic and still low priced as I have one of those also. The 1900 is pictured.

Back
Top Bottom