Best worksite job/gang box?

whoaru99

Epic Member
OK...so best is often subjective, but for those of you that have or have looked at chest-type job boxes, what do you think is the best (as in primarily strongest) brand? Greenlee, Knaack, Jobox, etc.?

There have been some smash and grab garage break-ins as of late and thinking I should probably get something to store my tools in. Not that I have a huge assortment but none the less a box is less than the insurance deductible and certainly less hassle than to replace the stuff.

I plan to anchor it to the concrete floor. And, I understand it will not keep out a professional but it's very doubtful this is the type of perp at play here.

Depends on what kind of tools you are using/storing? Are they automotive tools like wrenches and socket/ratchet sets, or bigger tools (I am a contractor), so stuff like power saws, hammer drills, nail guns, tiles saws, etc?

In reality, lowering your insurance deductible is probably cheaper and more effective. Regardless of the strength of the box, a simple pair of bolt cutters or small torch will open anything.

Depends on what kind of tools you are using/storing? Are they automotive tools like wrenches and socket/ratchet sets, or bigger tools (I am a contractor), so stuff like power saws, hammer drills, nail guns, tiles saws, etc?

In reality, lowering your insurance deductible is probably cheaper and more effective. Regardless of the strength of the box, a simple pair of bolt cutters or small torch will open anything.

All the above. Well, not tile equipment but some hand tools, torque wrenches, Milwaukee and Bosch power tools, portable Miller wire feed welder, Honda eu2000i generator, etc.

Yeah, as I mentioned, I understand the job box won't keep out well prepared thieves. However, I do not believe these are well prepared thieves. More than likely teenagers/young adults looking for stuff that's not bolted down, so to speak. Smash and grab, not carrying bolt cutters, cobalt drill bits, nor torches. All their tools are already sold/pawned off to buy more dope.

Last edited:
I use them all at work. I don't think any are substantially better than the others. If you have a grinder or a torch you're in. The old saying, locks keep honest people honest.
The ones where the locks don't come out are more convenient.
Good luck. I hope this helps.

If you are worried about a smash and grab, you probably don't need the best. Those type thieves don't want to spend the time to crack open a locked job box.

The ones where the locks don't come out are more convenient.

I agree that the ones with the built-in locks are more convenient, but much easier to open with just a hammer and screwdriver or a pry bar. I personally prefer the ones that accommodate a BIG padlock.

I think I've gone as far as looking at specs can take me, although more personal anecdotes are still welcome/appreciated.

Saw something online about the way Greenlee does the padlock cavities that allegedly makes it harder to drill out the lock cylinder. But, to earlier points, not sure it would make that much difference. Won't stop a pro anyway, and the young punks most likely give up after a few whacks with whatever small tool they may have in their hoodie pouch.

Maybe I'll hook up an empty electrical box on the wall with a big (empty) piece of BX running to the job box, then put a "DANGER - High Voltage" decal on it. Or, even more simple, a "Hazardous Waste" type of warning decal. :)

Last edited:
I prefer Knaack and Jobox. I like their locking systems. Greenlee's are a pain to unlock. The padlock hangs loose in a pocket. If it's dark or cold when you're trying to unlock it, you'll definitely get angry. If a thief comes prepared and determined, I don't think it would really matter what brand you have.

Maybe I'll hook up an empty electrical box on the wall with a big (empty) piece of BX running to the job box, then put a "DANGER - High Voltage" decal on it. Or, even more simple, a "Hazardous Waste" type of warning decal. :)

That certainly is the cheapest (and probably most effective) solution to the decision process. Buy the cheapest one you can find and label it "appropriately". :)

Back
Top Bottom