Better than the stock, and worth the $28?

Yes, I like your idea of saving up for a vintage receiver and Bluetooth receiver and running your Sanyo floorstanders with that. Then you can upgrade the speakers when you have more funds. I’m sure they’re decent for $40, but $200 will buy some vintage speakers that will blow them away. And if you still need more bass, you can add a powered sub later. In fact, if you really like crazy thunderous bass, I would advise getting that sub sooner than later.

Running vintage receivers with the bass control all the way up even at half volume is asking for trouble. It taxes the amp heavily, and believe it or not, those old dogs aren’t as robust as you might think. It’ll be smoking before you know it and the repairs will cost more than what you bought it for. With a dedicated powered subwoofer, you can run the eq on the receiver flat and just turn up the sub to get the bass you desire. A good quality subwoofer is designed to take that kind of abuse.

I can just give it to family, and for Christmas get a Yamaha YAS-207. I'm doubtful that Anyone here likes soundbars, as this "Bluetooth speaker" comes with one. The soundbar may not fit in the closet, but the subwoofer is shaped like a Bose Acoustimass module (only smaller, like my Zenith in my avatar) it also costs the same, at $300 for hopefully deeper richer better sound.

Here's a pretty fun review for this one:

I'm out of options. So for now, I could just wait till my birthday to pick a vintage receiver, get a Bluetooth receiver, and play anything into my sanyos from there. Moving my Sanyos into my bedroom is a challenge, because we have a two-story home, and the fact that they're huge and have to weigh 100+ lbs. They have massive thunderous sound w/bass reflex and the $40 I spent for them can't be beat! Who needs a subwoofer for that?

Model: SSV16 (*RARE*)

I can change the avatar to my sanyos. Should I do it instead of the baffling Zenith subwoofer?

Romeo if your profile age is correct I am glad to see you are here asking questions and trying to get some good tunes. You probably aren’t hearing what you what to from people in here but don’t get discourage and keep asking questions! These guys have lots of knowledge to pass along. I agree with the BT speaker comments. I have one I use almost everyday outside, but I know what it is and don’t expect it to do what it can’t.

Most You Tube stuff sounds ok to good playing on my system. Either that’s a crap video or that Yamaha sounds like crap even for a sound bar.

Save your penny’s and get your floor standers up and running.

Yes, I like your idea of saving up for a vintage receiver and Bluetooth receiver and running your Sanyo floorstanders with that. Then you can upgrade the speakers when you have more funds. I’m sure they’re decent for $40, but $200 will buy some vintage speakers that will blow them away. And if you still need more bass, you can add a powered sub later. In fact, if you really like crazy thunderous bass, I would advise getting that sub sooner than later.

Running vintage receivers with the bass control all the way up even at half volume is asking for trouble. It taxes the amp heavily, and believe it or not, those old dogs aren’t as robust as you might think. It’ll be smoking before you know it and the repairs will cost more than what you bought it for. With a dedicated powered subwoofer, you can run the eq on the receiver flat and just turn up the sub to get the bass you desire. A good quality subwoofer is designed to take that kind of abuse.
They actually have enormous 16" woofers that will provide all the bass I need. They already produce the thunderous sound I like, all the way down the frequency spectrum. Low frequencies are all I want for the capability of my bass tests, and they serve that purpose super well without the need for a subwoofer. No distortion, no crackling, nothing. Think of yourself in a movie theater, they provide just that experience.

Here's a combination I would go for: Sanyos for bass, Advents for sound realism and clarity. For now, I'll just use those sanyos and the Yamaha NS-AP5700BLFs I have. I don't know what the intended purpose for the Yamaha's are, but I know my science teacher had them in his classroom, hanging from the ceiling. They were awesome.

Romeo if your profile age is correct I am glad to see you are here asking questions and trying to get some good tunes. You probably aren’t hearing what you what to from people in here but don’t get discourage and keep asking questions! These guys have lots of knowledge to pass along. I agree with the BT speaker comments. I have one I use almost everyday outside, but I know what it is and don’t expect it to do what it can’t.

Most You Tube stuff sounds ok to good playing on my system. Either that’s a crap video or that Yamaha sounds like crap even for a sound bar.

Save your penny’s and get your floor standers up and running.
I sure will! I'll be on the hunt for a vintage receiver from the wattage war days.

@Romeo Wolf can you post a pic of the Sanyo SSV 16's? They must be rare because I can't find them on the interwebs!
They're right on my avatar! See them? They're very rare. They have Bass reflex, 16" woofers, 5" & 3" midrange, and a 2" tweeter. Standing at 4 ft tall. 150W each, early 1980s. I guarantee you if you find and buy some to haul in your compact car, have fun stuffing them in! We have a Hyundai elantra and one speaker took up the entire backseat, while the other was sticking out of the trunk being held closed by a bungee cord on the license plate. They're local pickup only.

They're definitely worth the $40 at Goodwill we paid for them. If you find a pair, even if they have to be shipped, TAKE THEM! They're beefy beasts and will take a lot of abuse! They're just about good enough you won't get to have the needs for a subwoofer! (Carrying them is a challenge)

They're right on my avatar! See them? They're very rare. They have Bass reflex, 16" woofers, 5" & 3" midrange, and a 2" tweeter. Standing at 4 ft tall. 150W each, early 1980s. I guarantee you if you find and buy some to haul in your compact car, have fun stuffing them in! We have a Hyundai elantra and one speaker took up the entire backseat, while the other was sticking out of the trunk being held closed by a bungee cord on the license plate. They're local pickup only.

They're definitely worth the $40 at Goodwill we paid for them. If you find a pair, even if they have to be shipped, TAKE THEM! They're beefy beasts and will take a lot of abuse! They're just about good enough you won't get to have the needs for a subwoofer! (Carrying them is a challenge)
Barely, was hoping for a better pic.

Romeo, for your age (I was there once), sounds like Cerwin Vega D-9's are in your future! Let me explain, as you get older the loud turns into quality sound. Either way, welcome to the board and take care!

Romeo, for your age (I was there once), sounds like Cerwin Vega D-9's are in your future! Let me explain, as you get older the loud turns into quality sound. Either way, welcome to the board and take care!
Nah. I love my sanyos to death. They actually sound really good! I bet you they will last well into the future. Sometimes, I'm easy-going, and other times I'm out of this world.

Perhaps someday I'll own those, but for now my target is to get the original Advent Loudspeakers for that sound realism. (Uncolored, no hollowness, mid bass boominess or anything)

Romeo, have you ever thought about getting Klipsch speakers?high efficiency, LOUD (what did you say? ;) ), and sound (relatively good overall.

Romeo, have you ever thought about getting Klipsch speakers?high efficiency, LOUD (what did you say? ;) ), and sound (relatively good overall.
Yeah. Since I love and am only into vintage speakers (new ones may sound better, but they're just boring cheap plastics, overall) Klipschorns are nice, but they're huge. They might take up too much space in width, and they're probably corner speakers. Everything else is hella expensive, and examples like Cornwall's lack the extreme deep end compared to my Sanyos.

I'll be getting some Klipsch earbuds. They aren't crazy expensive and are oval shaped for that perfect fit for the ear.

Yeah. Since I love and am only into vintage speakers (new ones may sound better, but they're just boring cheap plastics, overall) Klipschorns are nice, but they're huge. They might take up too much space in width, and they're probably corner speakers. Everything else is hella expensive, and examples like Cornwall's lack the extreme deep end compared to my Sanyos.

I'll be getting some Klipsch earbuds. They aren't crazy expensive and are oval shaped for that perfect fit for the ear.
Most new stuff isn’t actually cheap plastic like you assume. Most of Klipsch’s lines are of good quality, as are other big names such as Polk (may get some hate for saying that, but their LSiM line is incredible, and their budget lines are insane for the money), Martin Logan (they have a few budget lines which are pretty sweet!), etc.
I’ve actually seen in person (and heard) the Icon bookshelves, and they were very well built. Solid MDF enclosures, nice veneer, drivers were of good quality especially for the money, the horn was some form of a rubberized something, etc. I also saw their TOTL towers at bestbuy, and they had a very similar build quality, except a few more fancy things. Both speakers sounded very nice with solid lows, nice midrange, and highs (although they did lean quite a bit to the bright side).
You could get the Icon bookshelves and then get a nice sub, I believe you could find an SVS for cheap used.
I also will suggest Polk’s Signature line. High quality sound, for not a lotta money. Once again, you could integrate a nice subwoofer to go along with it if you ended up getting the bookies.
Just one suggestion... DONT buy any Polk sub woofers. Although they are very musical, and very affordable, they don’t have the value of HSU or SVS, and they don’t sound as good. They do make some pretty stinkin’ nice speakers though, and for some incredible prices!

Only Klipschorns require corner placement. All other Klipsch speakers are fairly standard looking boxes.

The sort of speakers posters on AK have and buy are not cheap plastic crap regardless of their vintage. In another post I suggested that you do some research before making blanket statements about things that you don't seem to be knowledgeable about. I repeat my suggestion.

There are two main reasons vintage speakers are so popular with AK posters. They are,
1. nostalgia: A lot of us geezers are buying what we wanted but couldn't afford back then.
2. budget constraints: By doing some judicious shopping some deals can be had on those coveted vintage speakers.

Mlistens03 mentioned a couple of new speakers that are not "cheap plastic". Here are a few more names to investigate.
Magnepan, Vandersteen
Magico, Joseph Audio
Wilson Audio, Sonus Faber
PSB, Spendor
Totem, Golden Ear
Focal, YG Acoustics
Bowers & Wilkins, KEF
Paradigm, Legacy
These are a few names off the top of my head. None of these speakers are "cheap plastic". Check them out. Don't get put off by their prices. For us geezers many of what are now vintage speakers were just as unaffordable for us back then as most of these are now for a newbie.

There are plenty of other worthy speaker brands. If I left out someone's favorite post the name as a suggestion for Romeo to investigate.

FWIW: I use a combination of new and vintage gear (including speakers).

Last edited:
Mr. Wolf, as someone who also listens to such things as Bass Mekanik I can tell you that any 6 1/2" so called subwoofer is not going to give you the sort of bass you're trying to get.

Boosting the bass by the 12dB you mentioned is only going to cause the amplifier to clip and result in distorted sound.
flashback to (80's lover ) :rflmao:

@Romeo Wolf can you post a pic of the Sanyo SSV 16's? They must be rare because I can't find them on the interwebs!

Screenshot_20180726-134101.png
found a set online-specs and lets say just above a tuna can. that zennith about same quality an cheaply built.

sanyo mains/zennith "subwoofer" an add in panasonic thrusters :rockon: im rocking the house down yo! :rflmao:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom