Beyerdynamic 880, amp choice?

Mackpappy

Hello, been enjoying my vinyl setup lately, sl-1200, VM540ML, TCC-750 phono stage, st-70 dynaco, PSB b25 with sub. I’d like to get a set of headphones, but am having trouble deciding on an amp. I’d appreciate any thoughts. I am considering three approaches.

1) mr Nixie tube headphone amp. I’ll have to make a switch to toggle my table between this and my dynaco.

2) Schiit Magni 2 Uber. I’ll be able to run through this and use it as a preamp with volume. My TCC has volume, so not really a big plus.

3) some nad, or other, stand alone preamp with phono and a headphone out. I can then use it as a complete preamp, as I currently have to hook my cd straight to my dynaco. I don’t have a real preamp currently, just the phono stage.

Main concern is sound, although the thought of having a full duty preamp is pretty appealing. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Never heard of them before. Looks like really interesting stuff. The options I am considering are in the under $250 range, and I think I’m going to hold there.

What Ohm rating are your 880 phones? They make three versions.

Hi, I think he means that understanding which version of 880's you have will make a difference in amps that match up well.
I have the 250-ohm version of those and use a variety of amps including vintage integrateds/receivers and my favorite, a Bottlehead Crack kit that I built. If you want a project, the Crack is highly recommended for high-impedance phones which the 250-ohm are considered to be.

The 600 ohm version are quite found of most any OTL tube amp. Decware CSP series for example. Pure magic.

Back
Top Bottom