Beyond KOB...

Let me ask you gentlemen (and ladies?) this:

If you were to pick ONE title to recommend as a follow-up to Kind of Blue, which would it be? Just trying to narrow the parameters down, as I did when I first asked for a suggestion and got the KOB nod of approval from just about everyone...

Like every other hobby, eh?

True, you can spend your money a lot worse than delving into jazz though. Much much worse...

If you were to pick ONE title to recommend as a follow-up to Kind of Blue, which would it be? Just trying to narrow the parameters down, as I did when I first asked for a suggestion and got the KOB nod of approval from just about everyone...

Personally I'd go with Blue Train, still my favourite jazz record.

I have a HUGE bias for Blue Train. The opening notes were the first jazz that hooked me. I went from that to KoB. Can't go wrong there.
Adderley's Somethin' Else is another obvious choice. If you like KoB you'll most likely feel the same about Somethin' Else.

As for the $ issue, if you're going down that jazz vinyl path I'd suggest finding a way to sample stuff before buying. No need to be looking at some $20+ vinyl purchases that don't hit the spot with regret, despite what the 'lists' tell ya. Save that coin for the good stuff that you enjoy.:thumbsup:
Places like the streaming sites, youtube, or even the library can be a great resource for this.

If you want to dig a bit deeper by sampling stuff a bit off the usual path our own @poppachubby has a cool series on Mixcloud, and a guy we hang with online (who is a jazz drummer) has a site with podcasts that are fantastic.

Search out the Lest We Forget episodes here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/poppachubby/

And go to this for some great podcasts. A warning, his language gets a little salty.
http://whodatsound.com/wdmusicpro/WDRadio/WDR.html

Kind of Blue

I think it really depends whether you want a follow-up that's somewhat similar, or you want something different. KOB is very accessible, also fairly mellow.

Blue Train is great, but has a higher energy level with more fast solos. So if you're looking for a more high energy, sax-focused album to change things up, that would be a good one.

Somethin' Else has slower tracks, though some also have some pretty good pace/energy. If you wanted to stay closer to KOB, this would be better than Blue Train IMO.

'Round About Midnight (Miles Davis) is also very accessible and has a good mix of slower tracks and some with more energy.

Along the lines of generally mellow, I think Bill Evans Trio's Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby are both great as well. But it's just piano, acoustic bass, and drums, so if you want horns, this won't be a great choice. But at some point, I would check these out.

Kind of Blue

I think it really depends whether you want a follow-up that's somewhat similar, or you want something different. KOB is very accessible, also fairly mellow.

Blue Train is great, but has a higher energy level with more fast solos. So if you're looking for a more high energy, sax-focused album to change things up, that would be a good one.

Somethin' Else has slower tracks, though some also have some pretty good pace/energy. If you wanted to stay closer to KOB, this would be better than Blue Train IMO.

'Round About Midnight (Miles Davis) is also very accessible and has a good mix of slower tracks and some with more energy.

Along the lines of generally mellow, I think Bill Evans Trio's Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby are both great as well. But it's just piano, acoustic bass, and drums, so if you want horns, this won't be a great choice. But at some point, I would check these out.

Well, to be honest, I am looking for a more relaxed, laid-back style of jazz -- along the lines of Krall's "S'Wonderful" and "Face the Music and Dance." As I stated, I tend to gravitate to a more bossa nova-esque sound...

Well, to be honest, I am looking for a more relaxed, laid-back style of jazz -- along the lines of Krall's "S'Wonderful" and "Face the Music and Dance." As I stated, I tend to gravitate to a more bossa nova-esque sound...

I would consider Somethin' Else, Round About Midnight if you want more laid back generally, or if you really want to stick to bossa nova-esque, there's Miles Davis' Quiet Nights, which is boss-nova influenced and even though not considered one of his best/essential albums, it may be up your alley taste-wise. Also, Sketches of Spain (Miles Davis) is mellow throughout and though pre-dating the time period when many artists were hopping on the bossa-nova wagon, is actually not too different IMO.

All of these albums are probably available to be sampled or heard in their entirety on youtube.

Whatever you get, consider a better source of vinyl. Since your considering jazz, Europe has always had a big thing for jazz even when the US didn’t. So, the U.K. record companies are selling the best copies without being remastered because Brits won’t buy a remastered issue. Juno Records is probably the best source for jazz and not even the highest price.

I would consider Somethin' Else, Round About Midnight if you want more laid back generally, or if you really want to stick to bossa nova-esque, there's Miles Davis' Quiet Nights, which is boss-nova influenced and even though not considered one of his best/essential albums, it may be up your alley taste-wise. Also, Sketches of Spain (Miles Davis) is mellow throughout and though pre-dating the time period when many artists were hopping on the bossa-nova wagon, is actually not too different IMO.

All of these albums are probably available to be sampled or heard in their entirety on youtube.

You are most helpful; thank you, cap!

Whatever you get, consider a better source of vinyl. Since your considering jazz, Europe has always had a big thing for jazz even when the US didn’t. So, the U.K. record companies are selling the best copies without being remastered because Brits won’t buy a remastered issue. Juno Records is probably the best source for jazz and not even the highest price.

Thank you for the info!

Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley. Miles and Cannonball swing and don't get me started on the rhythm section. I mean if you liked KOB then you will like Somethin' Else.
If you want premium vinyl alhough pricey you can't go wrong with either Music Matters, Acoustech or Classic Records pressings.

Last edited:
Definitely head over to the Jazz Playlist, but I'm trying to think of a couple of things you might like...

Without a doubt, get the black and orange cover Getz/Gilberto LP...

I'm pretty sure there was a recent bossa nova thread. Do a search for that and you'll find some cool stuff.

Do you like male vocals? The John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman album is great. I'm guessing there are quite a few vinyl re-issue options out there, too.

That being the case, you probably should make RTFan's suggestion of Getz/Gilberto your next purchase. It's all of those things and a magnificent recording as well.

Buckle up and enjoy your dive into the rabbit hole.

That being the case, you probably should make RTFan's suggestion of Getz/Gilberto your next purchase. It's all of those things and a magnificent recording as well.

Buckle up and enjoy your dive into the rabbit hole.

That's a great album. It's not clear whether the OP wants vocals or not though. If vocals are cool, I'd def go with G/G to start with.

When I got into jazz I had no clue, so I just kept looking at the many "greatest jazz albums of all time" lists that are out there, some of those are still among my favourites:

Coltrane - Blue Train
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Lee Morgan - Sidewinder
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

If you like Kind Of Blue, you'll probably enjoy those as well.
Second this fine selection...especially the first two would compliment KOB superbly...and a personal favourite of mine...Oliver Nelson's...The Blues and Absolute Truth...
Just enjoy the musical digressions...it's fun! (and a tad expensive!) :)

Back
Top Bottom