BIC turntable,any good?

bmorril2

Looking at what seems to be 70's belt drive BIC turntable(BIC 960 ) in very good shape,just don't seem to remember them much . Any thoughts on quality ?

I like the BIC's a lot, I have the 960 and 940 and they both work like new. There seems to be a growing number of AKer's who are giving them a chance. They have much better sound than what you would expect from them. You'll still get the occasional snob who can't resist posting on here about how their newer TT (that cost 10 times more) totally walked all over their bic, there's always someone out their who has to bring us down. But for free or under a hundred bucks it's hard to beat.
I'ts a belt changer(the first) and manual TT that brings no rumble to the music. The platters are usually frozen in grease that has turned to glue. If this is the case "Do not try to turn the platter", you have pry straight up and you may need heat applied to the spindle hole(remove the 2 plastic pieces that make up the mat first and then insert a soldering iron per Fred Longworth). Once these tables are cleaned and relubed they are very dependable and a much better changer system than those dual umbrella spindles.
Mark:thmbsp:

I have a 980 which I took out of storage after 20+ years. It needed a new belt. That was all.

Lubed it anyway. Don't use WD40 around the tonearm pivots and area. You can dissolve the damping grease. Tonearm will drop like a rock.

I chose it because it got good reviews for value and had decent specs.

I have a couple of 980s - one was a basket case that I nursed back. They are really great turntables, and they "sound" good. I had a Thorens 165 as my main turntable for years. When I got my first 980 at a yard sale I figured it would be a fun one for my office, but after cleaning it up and giving it some real basic lubing it has become my main one. I sold the Thorens, and have no regrets. And if I drag out the 45s, I can stack them.

I got a 920 for free, and have been having a fun time rehabing that. It is pretty peculiar. The seem to be a weird mix of BIC and other makes parts. The tonearm is a Philips - same as on a 212/312.

This is a good BIC model along with it's higher end sibling. BIC didn't have the first belt drive changer. V-M had the first belt drive changer. BIC purchased the V-M Corporation belt drive changer design when they lost the import rights to Garrard changers from England back in the day. The 960 and 980 were V-M designed and V-M assisted BIC with setting up production.

Back
Top Bottom