bicycle chain lube ?

link lyfe is good stuff . it comes in a large tin that you drop the chain in then heat it up so it melts and goes into the working parts . i have had some on a bike chain for about 20 years .its left outside in all weathers and the chain is still good.
just looked it up and cant find it ..chain wax might be the thing now

Take the chain off and clean with lacquer thinner and let dry. Melt some paraffin wax and put the chain in the pot and move it around to get fully coated. Hang for wax to harden.
Will last a very, very long time.

Don't forget to put the chain back on the bike

If you want an ultra-smooth, quiet driveline, use this method. I would soak the chain in a container of gasoline for a while, then fish the end of a wire coat hanger through the hole in the end of the chain, and whirl it around over my head at high RPMs (outside, of course :) ) Then soak the chain in a coffee can full of melted paraffin (NEVER put the can on a direct flame, unless you want to burn your house down....always use a double boiler). After soaking the chain for an hour or three, utilize the coat hanger whirl to fling off all excess wax.

My riding companions always remarked about my nearly-silent drivetrain. Another plus is that dirt, grime, and other crud is not attracted to this setup.

White Lightning Epic Ride. It's a semi dry formula, with silicone. Apply generously and wipe off. The silicone gets left behind and it's good at not attracting dirt.

S.J.

White Lightning Epic Ride. It's a semi dry formula, with silicone. Apply generously and wipe off. The silicone gets left behind and it's good at not attracting dirt.

S.J.
Never heard of that product, but sounds quite similar to Hoppe`s No. 9 Dri-Lube....sprays on wet, the carrier quickly evaporates, leaving behind a thin, dry film of Teflon. Also good on guns, fishing reels, etc.

link lyfe is good stuff . it comes in a large tin that you drop the chain in then heat it up so it melts and goes into the working parts . i have had some on a bike chain for about 20 years .its left outside in all weathers and the chain is still good.
just looked it up and cant find it ..chain wax might be the thing now

I'm still using my old can of Linklyfe,but they don't make it anymore.Only useful If you are running a non-oring chain. Apparently, this is the new version:

70051.png

I use a bike chain cleaner device which uses a solvent and brushes to clean it. I used it on an older chain that was not used much, but was dirty, and after the lube it is as quiet as a new chain. I also noticed a difference on my main bike after cleaning and lubing--quiet, and felt smoother as well. I got this kit at Performance Bike--I would have to look up the brand and product number though. The brushes and solvent do the trick for cleaning, though, and help cut down on the mess that cleaning can make.

I can say from experience to never use any cleaner or lube that is not specifically for bicycle chains. I used some industrial Chain Mate (from LPS Labs) that was really slick stuff, but attracted dirt and stained anything it touched. Worked great on the old garage door opener, but would never recommend it for bicycles.

That garage door lube I use is for the rollers. It dries nice and doesn't attract dirt. I'm going to be getting dirt/sand dust down on the beach bike path no matter what I use anyways, so this works for me. I clean off the chain by running it thru a rag/paper towel, then load up a paper towel with the lube and run thru again.
Do that after each use while it's still on the car bike rack. Don't have to bend over that way and/or have some one help hold the bike up.

Oil needs to get down in the rollers and running it thru a wet rag won't do it. Liberally apply oil on chain, let sit for a while and wipe off excess.

OK, I found it. Here is the kit I bought from Performance Bike when it was on sale a while back:

upload_2017-7-11_16-12-14.png

I'm still using my old can of Linklyfe,but they don't make it anymore.Only useful If you are running a non-oring chain. Apparently, this is the new version:

70051.png
no such thing in the bicycle world

Back
Top Bottom