Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

thanks man , I appreciate that , I will post some pics of her building in our home DIY shop when she get's home as they are on her lap top. Here is a slide show of a RUST/Resto Job we did, it's a 70' s Gitane , it was solid rust , restored it back to 98% original

Nice job. I have a soft spot for Frenchies, rebuilt a couple of Motos - A Jubile and a GR.

Swiss BBs in both, btw. Funny.

The Pista is long gone. A mistake, as the wheels were NOS Campy rims on track hubs, built by hand by yours truly. New Sug crank, Shimano 600 track pedals, 600 brake arch, NOS Merckx suede saddle. The whole thing was such a nice setup.

I often sold bikes that I really should have kept, especially now that good used bikes are thin on the ground.

The Pista is long gone. A mistake, as the wheels were NOS Campy rims on track hubs, built by hand by yours truly. New Sug crank, Shimano 600 track pedals, 600 brake arch, NOS Merckx suede saddle. The whole thing was such a nice setup.

I often sold bikes that I really should have kept, especially now that good used bikes are thin on the ground.
I get that , oh the one's we let get away ... , I also have built very expensive rigs for myself.... , guess what I ride a 70's Raleigh built for less than 100 bucks , ride it every day , bike builds are crazy , labor of love , If I only had my labor cost on the bikes I have sold .:sigh:

Here is a picture of my first attempt to build a fixed gear bike.

I like that one, doesn't even look like the same bike anymore. Nice paint job! How did you reverse the cabling on the oem brake levers, or were different levers used on each of the 3 revisions?

Last edited:
dang, candle, the gitane restoration is breathtaking. it helps that you started with what appears to be a totally intact bike. a classic randonneur. do you post on bikeforums by any chance?

I agree, nice job on that one ecandle. Looks like you also got yourself a nice work shop.

Here is another one of mine. This one is a single speed. It's mainly a collection of odd parts. I ride this one around the house a lot. It looks nicer in the pic's than it does in real life.

I originally built it as a single speed, because one of the frame mounts that hold the shifter cracked off. So I then removed them both, and hacked off the rear derailleur hanger as well. Next the seat clamp that was built into the frame cracked, so I hacksaw'd and grinded the rest of it off, I then bought an external seat clamp to replace it.

The frame is a very early 80's cannondale and now it is also slowly developing a crack in the rear triangle, right where the rear connects to the seatpost. I still ride this bike, but I know it's days of enjoyment our limited, I'm not going to be able to keep this one going much longer. What I still like about it, is that it is ridiculously light. It's lightness defiantly came at a compromise to it's durability though.

Once it goes, I'll find another frame to keep its spirit alive.

Last edited:
I like that one, doesn't even look like the same bike anymore. Nice paint job! How did you reverse the cabling on the oem brake levers, or were different levers used on each of the 3 revisions?

same levers on pictures 2 and 3 with cables going through the bars, not easy but can be done. i used shimano 105 levers. i'll try to get some close up pictures

dang, candle, the gitane restoration is breathtaking. it helps that you started with what appears to be a totally intact bike. a classic randonneur. do you post on bikeforums by any chance?

no , first time ever talking about bikes with anyone but CL customers time to time , yes the bike was all there just one of those side of the garage outdoor type deals :tears:, begging for a resto.:yes: thanks Shrinkboy

I agree, nice job on that one ecandle. Looks like you also got yourself a nice work shop.

Here is another one of mine. This one is a single speed. It's mainly a collection of odd parts. I ride this one around the house a lot. It looks nicer in the pic's than it does in real life.

I originally built it as a single speed, because one of the frame mounts that hold the shifter cracked off. So I then removed them both, and hacked off the rear derailleur hanger as well. Next the seat clamp that was built into the frame cracked, so I hacksaw'd and grinded the rest of it off, I then bought an external seat clamp to replace it.

The frame is a very early 80's cannondale and now it is also slowly developing a crack in the rear triangle, right where the rear connects to the seatpost. I still ride this bike, but I know it's days of enjoyment our limited, I'm not going to be able to keep this one going much longer. What I still like about it, is that it is ridiculously light. It's lightness defiantly came at a compromise to it's durability though.

Once it goes, I'll find another frame to keep its spirit alive.
oh man that is a nice build , I'd like to take rip on that 58 cm ?:yes:

Nice job. I have a soft spot for Frenchies, rebuilt a couple of Motos - A Jubile and a GR.

Swiss BBs in both, btw. Funny.

thanks, many aren't worth much but they are very cool to clean up . I wish I had no let that one go :tears:

For those who might not know, Velo-Orange just came out with relatively inexpensive French threaded (and threadless!) bottom brackets.

French bb or trashed bb threads are no longer dealbreakers. :smoke:

Good eye, it is a 58 cm.

I think its a 84 model, so I shouldn't complain all that much about it's durability. Especially since aluminum bikes were first being pioneered back in those days. If you look down by the lowest frame tube by the tire's, you will see two dent's. These dents are there, because the Cannondale builder did not yet know how to bend the over-sized aluminum tubes, so they simply dented them out of the way for crank and pedal clearance. several years later the technology improves, and the dent's disappear on these earlier bikes.

Last edited:
Good eye, it is a 58 cm.

I think its a 84 model, so I shouldn't complain all that much about it's durability. Especially since aluminum bikes were first being pioneered back in those days. If you look down by the lowest frame tube by the tire's, you will see two dent's. These dents are there, because the Cannondale builder did not yet know how to bend the over-sized aluminum tubes, so they simply dented them out of the way for crank and pedal clearance. several years later the technology improves, and the dent's disappear on these earlier bikes.
I will have to look for that , I have never built an aluminum frame , just never have found bike big enough as I typically will only build a bike I can ride ( not always) but as a general rule , cut's into my market I tell you as I am so big . I do have an Aluminum Trek 1000 I want to build up .

Good eye, it is a 58 cm.

I really like the red tie in of the sidewalls , seat and break lever mounts

I really like the red tie in of the sidewalls , seat and break lever mounts

The tires actually had a dirty colored tan gumwall which I wasn't able to get clean looking. So I lightly sanded the gumwall's, just to ruff them up, and to expose a new surface, Then I stained them red using two large permanent markers. I used several coats, allowing each one to dry before the next was applied. The result turned out pretty decent, knowone would know the color was done with a marker. I could have made them any color I wanted.

Last edited:
The tires actually had a dirty colored tan gumwall which I wasn't able to get clean looking. So I lightly sanded the gumwall's, just to ruff them up, and to expose a new surface, Then I stained them red using two large permanent markers. I used several coats, allowing each one to dry before the next was applied. The result turned out pretty decent, knowone would know the color was done with a marker. I could have made them any color I wanted.

bitchin:yes:

Back
Top Bottom