Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

Partially reassembled:

I'm still waiting for the new freewheel to arrive. And the wheels need a trip to the shop for trueing, and having a few spokes replaced before I can finish it.

mt bike.jpg can anyone help identify this bike? Seller said " originally purchased in Thailand, not currently in working order. I do not know how to size it but the rims are 22 1/2 inches in diameter" The good news is I can get it for cheap, the bad news is that it is a 90 minute drive. Any of you folks have any leads on what it might be? Thanks, Ed

There is a Spectrum Cycle co, but they are out of Pennsylvania and use titanium frames. This Spectrums bike looks like an opening price point bike. This needs quite a bit of cleaning up, lubing and probably some brake parts. Rear derailleur looks pretty rusty. I like working on bikes, but I'd pass on this.

I'm in agreement with Danddd. That is definitely a low tier bike that might have been at a department or big box store back in the 90's. As for the size, 22 1/2" is not a wheel size at all, not that sizing a bike has anything to do with wheel size. It is either has 24" or 26" wheels. An adult would ride 26", a preteen to 13 might ride a 24". Within those wheel sizes should be differing frame sizes which would be used to accommodate different sized riders.

Looking at the picture, I'll tell you why I see nothing worth my time. First off is condition, it has obvious rust and faded paint which indicates it was left outside for extended periods. Second, the rear derailleur is of the claw mount type which indicates that the components are of lower quality. Third, the seat is jammed way to low which indicates it's a kid's bike and was probably cheap and poorly taken care of. Fourth, the rear derailleur has a guard installed over it which also is indicative of a kid's bike.
So, looking at all of this, I would conclude that it is pretty likely that this is a cheap 24" wheeled bike for a preteen and it's beat to boot. Pass all the way.

Got out my old school mountain bike today and got it ready for a camping trip this weekend in NH's White Mountains. I bought it from a single speed flipper a few years ago and it was a mess. The only parts that I used were the frame and front derailleur, the rest of the parts were from my bin.

His ad was for two different bikes. This was the second pic and was not featured. He described it as a bronze frame :rflmao:. Needless to say, I got it for a song :cool:.
IMG_20170720_192017517.jpg
IMG_20170720_192056757.jpg
IMG_20170720_192045590.jpg

I did not read all of the posts here but it's really nice to see this thread.

I have searched much and looking for a crank for my 1997 DBR Racing response, brushed 7005 aluminum.

One of the last real DBR's.

20 years and it's still all original and I have put many miles on it.

I need a crank and cannot find it anywhere.

The crank is not really that bad but getting to the point of too loose.

It's not super high end but I really love the bike and it's super balanced and a great bike.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

I have searched much and looking for a crank for my 1997 DBR Racing response, brushed 7005 aluminum.

It's not super high end but I really love the bike and it's super balanced and a great bike.

What thread pitch / count is your bottom bracket shell ?
(There`s a number of choices....French, Italian, English, Japanese/SAE, etc.
Seems crazy that the human mind could make such a relatively simple thing so friggin` complicated, eh ? :)

^^^ That Italvega is sweet. I like the chrome, drillium Campy, and large tires. :thumbsup:

I recently picked up a new project. It's a 1975-76 Raleigh Super Course MKII. It was hiding out in a super vague CL ad for a bunch of Columbia 3 speeds. The price was rediculously low. It's missing the Brooks saddle and has a bit of patina, but is in great shape overall.
Currently it's torn down to the frame, it's been washed and polished and the bottom bracket and headset have been cleaned and relubed. I plan on keeping it pretty much stock, replacing the consumables. I have a nice ideale 90 leather saddle that should match the French components the bike came with.

Picture as found:
View attachment 923767

Pictures of bike torn down and cleaned up.
View attachment 923768
View attachment 923769

I'll post some pics when I'm finished in a week or two.

Man the Red is stunning !

Fantastic Bikes and Happy folks Love it ! Great to see you guys are keeping this Thread alive !

Attachments

• 20140511_202539.jpg
    20140511_202539.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 17
Grisley Mega10_0050.jpg
long time no post - here is the semifinal of the bike I build for a syrian student here in Berlin. Semi - he shall ride it till fall from now for having time for some tuning - and then will get paintjob (RAL-color oriental red matte) in winter.
designed by Peter Grisley, a Grisley Mega10

Found the frame for him in the classifieds and built it with DX groupset. The fork is bit too modern Manitou Elite and I had to modify a little for canti-use. But - I wanted to use up some parts i had in stock. Opposing to the fat look it is quite light. It's in main for city use - I told him if he wants go to countryside/offroad to stock a second wheelset.

Grisley Mega10_0051.jpg
Grisley Mega10_0055.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 995712
long time no post - here is the semifinal of the bike I build for a syrian student here in Berlin. Semi - he shall ride it till fall from now for having time for some tuning - and then will get paintjob (RAL-color oriental red matte) in winter.
designed by Peter Grisley, a Grisley Mega10

Found the frame for him in the classifieds and built it with DX groupset. The fork is bit too modern Monitou elite and I had to modify a little for canti-use. But - I wanted to use up some parts i had in stock. Opposing to the fat look it is quite light. It's in main for city use - I told him if he wants go to countryside/offroad to stock a second wheelset.

View attachment 995713
View attachment 995714

Beautiful build.

it even rides very nice - and compared to the all-look-same-bikes of tooday it is really an eyecatcher.

Just bought this specialized epic m4 2 days ago as a birthday present for myself. Its basically stock. Asides from the chain snapping 30ft from my house when I went to take it for a ride its in pretty good condition for being 13 years old and the purpose for which it was built for. IMG_20170830_210833.jpg

Can I see a pic of the arm you need, is it the drive side you need ?

Quality bike , I love specialized bikes
We added a new Roll to the fleet this summer. I kept thinking about buying myself a second Specialized, used, as a project bike, but I am now leaning more towards upgrading my primary bike to carbon fiber (probably one of the Sirrus Carbon models) and using my Crosstrail Disc as the spare. The clunky old Schwinn steel frame has to go. ;) I didn't mind cleaning up the Crossroads Sport for my daughter, but these days I don't want to be screwing around messing with a bike--I just want to ride.

Back
Top Bottom