Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

my first thought was, as with candle, "OMFG, i can't believe the banking angle on that track!!" good god, my heart would be in my throat...

i am seriously thinking about taking the track certification day at the Frisco Velodrome north of Dallas this spring. i'm 58 y/o, a masters swimmer for the last 20 years, but prior to that, i road raced USCF in the 80s. i always had a goal of riding on the track, at least once, and since i've been back into riding some, and with a velodrome right outside town, i think i'm gonna do it.

but if i see banking like that, i may just turn around and go back home.

By all means, if you have the opportunity to ride the track, do so. It is a blast.

As I said in the previous post the Vanderdrome is a unique track. The Frisco velodrome is probably very similar to Trexlertown with bankings much more shallow than those of the Vandedrome

It's cool to see there are other bike racers here on the forum. After a lifetime of very passionate seasons filled with saddle time, I just started racing last year and will continue in 2010, working with a professional coaching and training service to race this years' EFTA series. Mountain bike point series in northern New England.

I have a stable of some pretty cool bikes, the best of which are a pair of early 60's Raleigh 3-speeds. But it's about 10 degrees fahrenheit here, so pictures will not be forthcoming anytime soon.

Frisco Superdrome is a 250 m track, banked 45 degrees in the turns. i've heard that when you first see it, your heart kinda jumps. in the track FAQ's, they say that a speed of 10 miles an hour or more is required.

http://www.superdrome.com/

My daughter building her own bike for tour last summer..
zook1.jpg
[/IMG]
zook2.jpg
[/IMG]
CIMG6336.jpg
[/IMG]
CIMG6392-Copy.jpg
[/IMG]

Ecandle

I have great memories of trips down the Oregon coast in the eighties and nineties. Although it looks like your daughter is going north to the Olympic peninsula (?) the trip is similar. I taught back then and summer was a perfect chance to ride the Trans-America bike route which started in Astoria. I'd fly to Oregon and take the bus to the hostel, build up my bike and hang out in downtown Portland looking at the artwork/sculptures and that giant bookstore. Powell's I think.

Next day was a very hilly ride to Astoria consisting of lots of stops to adjust your bike. Arriving at the biker camp late but knowing that there's always a place for a cyclist in the cyclist camp at the state park. Try that car campers.:D Only $2 too. From there down the coast stopping at state parks and the Tillamook cheese factory of course. Anyhow, just continuing down 101 till it was time to cut over and ride cross country.

I could go on but one thing I enjoy about your posts is your ability to be succinct and to the point so I'll shut up. I was a competitive runner and raced bikes off and on but never enjoyed anything as much as traveling on my bike while seeing new places. And meeting fine people. They're everywhere.

Ecandle

I have great memories of trips down the Oregon coast in the eighties and nineties. Although it looks like your daughter is going north to the Olympic peninsula (?) the trip is similar. I taught back then and summer was a perfect chance to ride the Trans-America bike route which started in Astoria. I'd fly to Oregon and take the bus to the hostel, build up my bike and hang out in downtown Portland looking at the artwork/sculptures and that giant bookstore. Powell's I think.

Next day was a very hilly ride to Astoria consisting of lots of stops to adjust your bike. Arriving at the biker camp late but knowing that there's always a place for a cyclist in the cyclist camp at the state park. Try that car campers.:D Only $2 too. From there down the coast stopping at state parks and the Tillamook cheese factory of course. Anyhow, just continuing down 101 till it was time to cut over and ride cross country.

I could go on but one thing I enjoy about your posts is your ability to be succinct and to the point so I'll shut up. I was a competitive runner and raced bikes off and on but never enjoyed anything as much as traveling on my bike while seeing new places. And meeting fine people. They're everywhere.

LOL , sounds awesome man LOVE IT , stop in on us if you are every in the Portland area. My daughter and I rode from our doorstep this last August from Mcminnville Oregon on bikes we built from the ground up to our specifications on 100% funds generated from in home bike repairs and sales of restored bikes purchased at garage sales and the like.

We rode to Seattle using the STP route , then took the ferry over to Bainbridge Island WA. rode up to the cape and rode across to Hy 101 to Port Angeles . Took the Ferry to Victoria Canada and rode up to the top , took the Ferry to BC then back to Victoria then across to Anacortes WA. Then rode all the way down to home from there 650 rolling miles in 10 days. We stayed where we laid , took every thing we needed on the bikes and largely lived off grid.

Slide show of Bikes ready to go

Slide show of trip

Last edited:
I suppose I was a good boy this year.

Here are a couple of the things Santa brought me for Christmas.

The first is a set of NOS Columbus SL tubes, the second is a Campagnolo professional tool kit.

I also received a "small business loan" from a dear relative, so I have a little cushion to start my bicycle frame building enterprise.

Attachments

• 13940_612664787935_24400053_35420373_2862420_n.jpg
    13940_612664787935_24400053_35420373_2862420_n.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 16934_616680660095_24400053_35552730_7767230_n.jpg
    16934_616680660095_24400053_35552730_7767230_n.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 55
I wonder how much the Campy toolkit set Santa back? Nice stuff and good luck on on frame building. The world needs more great custom steel frames.

Last edited:
Nice bikes guys! Cool classics there!

Here is a Rabeneick that I have.I tried to research the name but didnt find to much.Made in Germany.Nice riding bike.

I haven't touched a thing on this..It is all original right down to the tires.

SDC11700.jpg

SDC11703.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how much the Campy toolkit set Santa back? Nice stuff and good luck on on frame building. The world need's more great custom steel frames.

An elf told me that Santa got a good deal on it, with shipping it came to just a couple dollars over two large. The tools have virtually no wear on them, no rust either. I doubt any of these tools have been used more than once, and the container of grease was still full. A comparable set of tools from Park would have easily topped that amount so it was well worth it! Plus the case is really the icing on the cake, I can't think of a more elegant way to store and display a set of tools!

Did someone say classic British?

Jack Taylor Tandem

Attachments

• IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 27
i recall the days of the klein oversize aluminum road frame with the ultra smooth welds and the jaw dropping price tags-- $3000.00 for finished bike!! nowadays, that'll barely crack the door open for a race rig, and a set of race wheels can easily be that, if not more....

Here is my stable of Kleins. The Pulse was my first real MTB and now is in single speed mode. The Adroit has been my main ride for the last 6 years (I most definitely qualify as a retro grouch). The Quantum frame was too good of a deal to pass on, but the Q Pro Carbon is my dream bike. I've raced it in several senior olympic races including the nationals in Pittsburg in '05. With the exception of the Pulse, I''ve built these from the frame up.
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1762.jpg
    IMG_1762.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 39
Here is my stable of Kleins. The Pulse was my first real MTB and now is in single speed mode. The Adroit has been my main ride for the last 6 years (I most definitely qualify as a retro grouch). The Quantum frame was too good of a deal to pass on, but the Q Pro Carbon is my dream bike. I've raced it in several senior olympic races including the nationals in Pittsburg in '05. With the exception of the Pulse, I''ve built these from the frame up.
Tom
thease Klein Bikes are like gold , nice rides
__o
_`\;,_
(*)/ (*)

Back
Top Bottom