Big Band LP's

Do you have any Chuck Sagle albums? Big band with a little help. French horns etc. Tonight Show Band with Tommy Newsom or Skitch Henderson. My favorite is still Basie. Les Brown recordings can be surprising, especially with tuba in addition to double bass. If you like to Dance there is always Woody Herman when he isn't performing his concert big band music. I have to say Ellington was a huge talent and his band had some great soloists. But they weren't tight and precise like a great big band. I have some boot legs of North Texas Lab band, and for college kids they do a fantastic job. I enjoy Krupa's big band, they had all that energy. Harry James on Sheffield is so much more than the commercial recordings from the 40's and 50's. Then there is Kenton. Some fantastic arrangements, but to me he just never got the best from all his musicians after the early 50's. Benny Goodman is given credit for having the first well rehearsed tight and precise big band, but in that respect Glenn Miller and of course Tommy Dorsey bands were OH! so polished. There so many Great bands, Artie Shaw, Ray Charles on Tour, Norad band swings, Navy Dance band made up from the concert band can do it. But that said Basie is my number 1. I forgot OP, Kai Winding, Urbie Green, Nelson Riddle, and so many others, They are all fun. There are some British bands that swing,too. Big band is what returned me into collecting LP's after a long 30 year absence. (Dynavector Helped,too.)

Erich Kunzel and Cincinnati Pops Big Band Orchestra - The Big Band Hit Parade

upload_2017-5-7_18-48-44.png
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: Audioquest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9250B

I enjoy this music by the better artists. Don't forget those 1950's and early 1960's Glen Gray big band Capitol LP discs. Many of those are superb sounding and nice performances.

Great stuff!! I have 3 or 4 Larry Elgart albums that kick it up real nice. Looking for some Sy Zentner albums. Love his trombone-driven arrangements. The era might technically be later than "big band era", but I
sure do enjoy Enoch Light's Command works. Maynard Ferguson's live albums are quite well engineered and sound great on my rig.

just my $0.02

Back
Top Bottom