BIG Mystery Speakers, "LAR" Renkus Heinz?

GerryC

These are available to me, a 15" Horn loaded 3-way. The seller has no info on them except that the horn/tweeter says " Renkus Heinz" on it., and LAR on the grill...I have never owned any of their gear, but the seller claims these are "custom built" they have "LAR" on the grill...I know there is/was an LAR audio in Niagara Falls NY, but I have been able to find very little on them. These look too well made to pass by. Seller states they are over 90lbs each. Any help?

Attachments

• mystery speakers.jpg
    mystery speakers.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 403
  • lar speaker.jpg
    lar speaker.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 240
Interesting design. A bi-directional horn tweeter and what looks to be a woofer very similar to that of the 3rd incarnation of the Cornwall. The mid I'm not sure of. If the price was halfway reasonable, I'd go for it.

http://www.renkus-heinz.com/index.html is a link to the renkus-heinz company. It's a custom speaker and sound reinforcement company. And here is a link to LAR professional audio systems http://laraudio.com/. You could very well have a mix there of several variations one of which ended up as a house model for home audio. My guess is these are probably some pretty darn good speakers. Apparently Renkus-Heinz goes so far as to custom make it's own speakers to fit a particular application. In essence you've got what were and maybe still are custom made speakers from Renkus-Heinz and installed/setup by LAR Audio. In effect their "house brand." You could probably send inquiries to either one and get some solid information but if the price is right you've probably got one heck of a speaker on your hands!

Looks like somebody's DIY. Definitely NOT a speaker system out of any of Renkus' factories. Renkus and Emilar woofers are ALL rear vented, even the ones made for them by other companies like PAS and EV.

From the pics the only thing Renkus about them so far is the horn lens which is from the early 1980's when Renkus was an American company. Those horns are a design from Emilar era, you'll find them branded with the Emilar, Rauland, and Renkus names.

The products from the current Renkus-Heinz company which Jonas Renkus' son Algis has served with for many years have extremely little in common with the products from Jonas' early work from Emilar and Renkus Corp.

Always dependent on price, of course, but if they aren't too far away I'd go have a listen and see if you like the sound ...

These are available to me, a 15" Horn loaded 3-way. The seller has no info on them except that the horn/tweeter says " Renkus Heinz" on it., and LAR on the grill...I have never owned any of their gear, but the seller claims these are "custom built" they have "LAR" on the grill...I know there is/was an LAR audio in Niagara Falls NY, but I have been able to find very little on them. These look too well made to pass by. Seller states they are over 90lbs each. Any help?

Funny I ran across this. LAR sound was on Elmwood Avenue in Buffalo back in the early to mid 80s. Those speakers were manufactured on site. How do I know this? Because I bought a pair back in 85. They became locally popular and were in many local bars as the music system.

Great sounding speakers. Unfortunatley I sold mine back around 89. No horn on mine though. 2 way with tweeter.

Top of the line speakers they sold were about 5 feet tall and had an interesting setup. The top had poured cement facing the listener with 2 elliptical indentations with 2 inward facing tweeters for each speaker that the ellipse would reflect into almost 180 degree sweetspot. I had a chance to listen to them. Very warm speakers. They also had a 12 or 15 inch woofer. Cant remember..... They weighed around 150lbs each.

I do know they used very high quality components for their speakers, he didn't mess around.

LAR Audio may be the same guy up in Niagara Falls. His name is Larry. Imagine that!

Back when I ran Nightclubs with bands this group showed up with tiny little speakers for their PA system. About 16" wide and maybe 5' tall. This was back in the mid 80's, we were a "Hair Band" club.Bands all had huge base bins, with separate mid-range cabinets topped by usually some kind of horn tweeter set up.

I told these guys if they need some gear I could hook them up with a rental, becasue I figured there's no way this set up is gonna cut it. "That's what everybody says" the sound guy told me. "Relax, this is Rekus Heinz, were doing a sound check, listen and you'll be amazed".

Sure enough. All weekend people would show up at the bar, see the gear and snicker. The band would take the stage, and those speakers would just sing. Clean & clear, and loud as hell.

Ever since then anything that says Rekus Heinz I don't dismiss because of how it looks.

Funny I ran across this. LAR sound was on Elmwood Avenue in Buffalo back in the early to mid 80s. Those speakers were manufactured on site. How do I know this? Because I bought a pair back in 85. They became locally popular and were in many local bars as the music system.

Great sounding speakers. Unfortunatley I sold mine back around 89. No horn on mine though. 2 way with tweeter.

Top of the line speakers they sold were about 5 feet tall and had an interesting setup. The top had poured cement facing the listener with 2 elliptical indentations with 2 inward facing tweeters for each speaker that the ellipse would reflect into almost 180 degree sweetspot. I had a chance to listen to them. Very warm speakers. They also had a 12 or 15 inch woofer. Cant remember..... They weighed around 150lbs each.

I do know they used very high quality components for their speakers, he didn't mess around.

LAR Audio may be the same guy up in Niagara Falls. His name is Larry. Imagine that!

Larry is still around, doing his thing. He made GREAT speakers. I have a pair of 3way from the '80's

Back
Top Bottom