Big STAX amps, almost there.

Ds2000

The fi must be higher.
Subscriber
After a 3 year saga, I finally found someone worth their salt to take on the project. The previous ham fisted individual managed to install diodes improperly and it toasted some parts. Well here they are, it's the first time I've seen them out of their boxes. Anyone want to come play? image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpg

Uh oh, found a little noise in one, something with the input circuit, a small distortion, almost like a puff in the treble region.

You don't see those everyday. Thanks for posting the pictures. What speakers are you planning to mate with them?

I am using the Pioneer /TAD TZ-9LTD for speakers, the Denon PRA 2000RG as the pre, a Kenwood L-07D turntable, a Kenwood L-1000T for the tuner and a Marantz CD-72U CD player. I have to solve one more small issue in one amp, but the tech is coming to handle that this week.
There will now also be a pair of Onkyo Scepter 5001's with the factory stands to use.

Last edited:
Very cool and I'm glad you got them mostly working! I've only heard them once and was smitten but could never afford them. Some great amps right there!

Took this pic to show the color differences in the tops. The more bronze one is the exception, I wonder if Stax was using 2 different Anodizing or sealing methods. They are concurrent serial #s, likely made at the same time. I think it's interesting image.jpeg

Beautiful amps!!!
There was a pair of them for sale locally (Sweden) in ca 2005. They were dirt cheep, I still kick my self for not picking them up.

Considering the serial numbers are sequential perhaps one was exposed to sunlight or??
I considered this, but there is no fading on any other parts, the vent screens or anything under the screens. I've seen similar issues with the Sony Esprit gear, where the anodizing fades differently from component to component.

Beautiful amps!!!
There was a pair of them for sale locally (Sweden) in ca 2005. They were dirt cheep, I still kick my self for not picking them up.
Considering the original ask on these all across the world, and the very few made, yes that is a shame :(
You may have dodged a bullet tho, that version of Stax is long gone, the manuals are gone, and no one wants to work on them, and when you do find a shop, they are on the other side of the moon and you have to ship and worry about damage, along with huge cost. The pair here was originally from Europe, the tech who attempted to resurrect them there botched the job royally and made a mess. 22 hours to undo and redo them correctly and one still needs a bit of attention.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom