Biggest Bang for the Buck Upgrade

Adding a sub or two to mediocre speakers is not my understanding of the definition of upgrade. Replace the Sony speakers with something better. New speakers with better-than-Sony bang-for-buck may include floor-standers from Polk, Fluance or ELAC, for instance. Raise that budget for new speakers a bit, if you can, to a minimum of $500. More options open up at six or seven the pair. That's for two components, after all.

Sorry, meant to clarify in the original post. That is 250-400 per speaker, not for the pair. I don't mind getting 1 speaker at a time and biding my time for another to go on sale or pulling the trigger on a good sale for a pair

Sorry, meant to clarify in the original post. That is 250-400 per speaker, not for the pair. I don't mind getting 1 speaker at a time and biding my time for another to go on sale or pulling the trigger on a good sale for a pair

Monitor Audio Silver 6. Pair on scratch and dent sale from Crutchfield right now for $800 if you don't mind a minor blemish, or two. I own a pair of these recently-discontinued speakers, and love them. That doesn't ensure that you would, though. I paid $1150 for mine, IIRC.

While it is true that buying used will save money, it sounds like your spouse is hyper-allergic to different substances, odors, etc. As a retired RN, I know how much that can impact your buying decision in this endeavor. Safer to buy new, I agree.

The Silver 6 has a lot going for it. High-tech drivers, special mounting system for them in the cabinet, differential tuning (one rear port, one front) in an excellent two-and-a-half-way design, and real wood veneer with a nice finish. The ones that are left go for $1000-1100/pair, so a minor blemish saves $200. Best price I've seen on a pair. If you live somewhere you can hear them first, they are very much worth an audition, imo.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_893SLVR6W/Monitor-Audio-Silver-6-Walnut.html?cc=07

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/monitor-audio-silver-6-speakers.811605/

Make a list of new speakers recommended by those who have actually heard them, go audition if possible. If not, research them, and when ordering make sure you know the full return policy for whatever you buy from whomever you buy it.

Last edited:
You could get a pair of Martin Logan Aerius I within budget.... But currently available equivalents would cost you twice that, easy.

And to be clear... They would destroy your Sonys.

After that? New amp time.

You could get a pair of Martin Logan Aerius I within budget.... But currently available equivalents would cost you twice that, easy.

And to be clear... They would destroy your Sonys.

After that? New amp time.

Ya but there's the rub, a "new" amp etc for these with a budget of only $400? This is the reason for my first post, then my consequent posts, it becomes a dead end. Great speakers that can't live up to their potential while revealing all the warts in the upstream equipment.

Ya but there's the rub, a "new" amp etc for these with a budget of only $400? This is the reason for my first post, then my consequent posts, it becomes a dead end. Great speakers that can't live up to their potential while revealing all the warts in the upstream equipment.

Fair enough. That said, another $400-600 and you could get a pre and power amp in there capable of handling the speakers.

Totally see what you're saying though.

(And I don't agree we have to go new. If you're thinking all new gear, we're probably screwed)

That's a good point. If the OP must live with the Yamaha receiver for awhile, a speaker with a friendlier load would be best. The Silver 6, or something similar from another brand, with 8-ohm impedance and a sensitivity of 90db would be a big upgrade now, and another when he acquired a better amp. Mine sound mighty fine on a Yamaha A-S500 integrated.

Oh that’s the eventual plan. 500-800 on new speakers, 400 on a new amp, 400 in a new TT and possibly even adding a sub to the system as well.

In general, I would go speakers, then amp, then sources. The speakers will generally sound better based on their own characteristics, but they'll also reveal the deficiencies in your downstream components. That's fine if you've been listening to the existing gear already, because you're used to that and are mostly going to notice the improvement. Then the amp gets the most out of the speakers, and then the you get rid of the source deficiencies. There really is no "right" order, because your system will only be as good as its weakest link, but I think for somebody just getting into the realm, that's the order you'll notice the most improvement the earliest. Or, from the other direction, your source and amp improvements will be marginal if you don't have the speakers to express those upgrades.

90% of your sound quality is determined by your final transducers, so put your money in the best sounding speakers you can fit in the door having a great WAF

I think a little differently,
Your system will only sound as good as its components.

Speakers will only reveal information that is there.

Start from the beginning !
$400 for a new cartridge will totally change the TT.

I'd upgrade the speakers first in this case.

I have to agree. I would suggest the JBL 590S speakers. They are often on sale for less than $1k a pair. You will not need a subwoofer with these. They are efficient enough to run with your current receiver and robust enough to mate well with high powered separate amplifiers when you decide to upgrade. Next, I would upgrade the turntable/cartridge arrangement.

Next step? A measurement mic, and a book about room treatment.
If it must be hardware: a new cart makes the most sense with that budget.

Wife doesn't like used? It's really up to you and how you design / implement it. Nothing in my living room is new, xcept the TV. Looks "new" to me!

2cok0p1.png

Back
Top Bottom