Biradial stylus? Confused about differences.

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Detailman, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Detailman

Detailman Addicted to tweaking

I've been trying different cartridges that I have lying around.
    Grado Blue, Shure M55EM, and an AT3500E.
    The AT sounds about as good as any and with the E I just assumed it was elliptical.
    When I checked the cartridge database it said biradial and I don't quite understand the differences in conical etc.
    Would anyone enlighten me?
  2. jcmjrt

jcmjrt Addicted Member

3. hakaplan

hakaplan Needs professional help

Yep, very good intro site.

All those cartridges are elliptical (or biradial).
  4. Joey1127

Joey1127 Well-Known Member

Good Question...

The thing is, ALL "Elliptical" labeled styli are truly Bi-Radial, not Elliptical. In a 2-d world, I guess you could say the stylus is Elliptical, but in the "real world" they are really Bi-Radial in design. Even Shure originaly called them Bi-Radial untill it became cool to say Elliptical.
  5. it's the small radius of the ellip that contacts the groove more better than conical. conical is just that, shaped like a cone, 1 radius. Nothing wrong with them but biradial/elliptical is much better for tracking and getting the most info out of the groove. ie: hi'er fi.
    Altho conical is used extensivly in lower cost stylii, it is a good choice for 45s and 78s, where grooves are larger.
  6. Detailman

Thanks all.
    Good link with understandable explanation.
    Cleared up my question. Just like a college course with the experience and knowledge on this forum.
    The help is really appreciated.
    Found this AT3500E on a thrift tt and must say I don't think it's an expensive one but a pretty good all around cartridge.
  7. hakaplan

hakaplan Needs professional help

Yep, decent cartridge. It's either a rebadged AT11E or AT12E depending on whether it's green or blue.
  8. Detailman

It's green and one time when ordering some stuff got a new stylus cause the orig suspension was shot. It's pretty decent but I have a hard time making up my mind about what is best.
    Guess that's what keeps us going!!!!!!!!
    Sometimes it's amazing what you can get for a couple bucks from the thrift with a beat up tt.
  9. Detailman

You are right on the money cause the stylus I bought was ATS 11E.