Birds - Post 'em up

jkO8bj.jpg

Apple IPhone 6s
f/2.2
1/30 sec
ISO-80
4mm

We have a new resident. On Sunday this guy started showing up regularly throughout the day. This is a blue bunting and is a member of the finch family.

DSC_0682.jpg

2918EA27-DDD1-478F-B32E-ED7BD3BF1CF0.jpeg 015A4A35-FE9B-4ECE-ADB2-AE6287B25B12.jpeg A few weeks ago, on a Saturday morning, my wife and I heard a loud bang(!) from somewhere in the house. I looked everywhere, but could not find what had happened. The next morning I heard my wife yell “oh, no!” and found her in the living room looking out of one of the rear picture windows. Lying in the snow on our deck were these guys, a Coopers hawk and a cardinal who apparently, in a chase, crashed into the window, which reflects the woods that are up against the deck. Both had broken necks. We were depressed all day. I flipped the hawk over to identify it.

Any of us who've been attempting to capture BIF for a while will get a good laugh from the "shi**y bird photos" group on Facebook. ROFL. Plenty of my attempts belong up there, lol.

I took my new toy out on the weekend of the 28th/29th April. Saturday the local park pond was full of migrants held up by the late spring - there was still ice on lakes up north. We don't normally see loons even when they migrate, but here was one:
Loon 4 28 18.jpeg
The loon is only 150 miles or so from home, but this Horned Grebe is on his way to western Canada:
Horned Grebe Foot.jpeg
In this shot he's kindly demonstrating the difference between grebes and ducks.
Sunday we went a little farther afield to a wet spot in farm country. The migrants were too far off to get good shots but the summer residents were less skittish. This guy dropped in by the side of the road:
Heron 2.JPG
Here's a Red-Headed Blackbird displaying:
Red Winged 29Apr18.jpeg
But what we go to see is the Yellow Headed Blackbirds:
YHB2 29Apr18.jpg

I didn't realize there was a Birds thread. I posted this in the Critters thread.

These should be about ready to leave the nest soon. We've been watching since the momma bird built the nest right by our side door. The cat used to sit and watch them through the screen door, but lost interest because he knows he can't get to them.:)

birds.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom