Board and components cleaning solutions ?

Infinity nutcase.
I'm gathering parts to do a Crossover recap. In preparation I thought I’d check here and see if there’s a product you guys recommend that’s safe to use for kinda of a prewash on something like below.
78CBC122-76EA-4256-8636-0F9525A0F5FF.jpeg 8B6A9D3C-FB24-46FB-830A-3B2F48CE3CBD.jpeg 71C4CEF2-DDB9-441E-B672-DF71284F18CC.jpeg
Thanks much for any suggestions.

I usually start with a small stiff bristle paint brush and vacuum cleaner. After getting everything loose that I can that way I use alcohol to get the rest loose.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James, looks like that is the way to go. Did some searching after the nap on cleaning circuit boards, my idea of using a few cans of gumout brake cleaner might not be such a good idea.

Yea I use isopropyl for general cleaning and acetone (nail polish remover) to get rid of stubborn flux on the underside. Both applied with a toothbrush

Less us more. Water is a safe bet. Harsh chemicals can attack the plastic pieces and wick up the leads and compromise the components themselves.

Not sure goat67, going to pull the first one this weekend. I guess it’s stamped on the bottom side. I did a bunch or reading so brushes, vacuum, alcohol and clean water, deoxit and some patience should get it done. Trying to pick a good craft beer that’s the tough choice :biggrin:.

Initially I kinda thought somebody would have come up with something in a spray can that’s safe to use for something like this, I mean what does NASA do?

Those inductors look semi-sealed and the transformers are not good with water. I'd avoid liquids that could seep in and stay. If you're replacing caps, you could remove them temporarily and reinstall after board cleaning. But I think electrically, a good vacuum and maybe a cleaning of solder side is fine.

Back
Top Bottom