Bob Carver has built new Amazing Line Source Speakers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Mr. Carver knows fully well that any amplification system we can create today has "some distortion", why so many of you are getting hung up on the wording is pointless to me, unless you are eager to discredit Bob's intelligence and experience. Or maybe you all just like to argue. I think it is safe to assume he means distortion audible to the average human ear....

At any rate, really neat looking stuff, I hope someday I will be able to afford a pair or even preview them!

Cool to see his love for music is still pumping out new innovation.

Walker

I'm pretty sure Mr. Carver knows fully well that any amplification system we can create today has "some distortion", why so many of you are getting hung up on the wording is pointless to me, unless you are eager to discredit Bob's intelligence and experience.

More his credibility and honesty. Had he meant "some distortion" he could've said some and not none and thus avoided a lie. Are we not expected to take a man at his word?

Hey!

Have you guys heard about those new speakers Carver's working on?

I just read on a large and reputable audio forum that he's getting 120db with NO DISTORTION!
Now there's a fact that can be parroted infinitely on the interwebs for the rest of time.:D

Not if we're going into production and solicit unit pricing direct from the manufacturer, and i cannot imagine sourcing parts for any scale of production any other way.

I'd bet that those tweeters could be had for $350 a side wholesale. ;)

Polar plots and other graphically displayed analysis would be interesting and make for some useful comparison.

Polars would indeed be interesting.

Also, the parts express ribbons are nowhere close to the power handling of these ribbons.

Why do you say that? The PE ribbons (planar magnetic, actually) are rated at 80W. With 13 of them per side you're looking at 1040W for just the tweeter module. If the crossover is above about 500Hz then that will probably be less than half the signal after the crossover. If the woofer module is rated at 1000W then there's your 2000W overall rating.

My experience has been that "ANY" time Bob Carver's name is mentioned on this board some kinda verbal jousting ensues. Oh well what can you do...

I'm sure most of it is meant in good spirit.

Shawn

I would say in ALL regards. Distortion in electronics and electro mechanical systems is a certainty. It may be vanishingly low but it's there.

"In some regards" meaning people understand there are electronics distortions but often overlook/don't consider the speaker side of things, which may be orders of magnitude larger.

Hearing loss is a serious problem that all people especially audiophiles should be aware of.

Shawn
picture.php

My $.02

No distortion is to my mind would mean no raise in distortion from low levels. I would take that as he thinks it sounds pretty good, subjectively, about as good as one watt.

At 96 dB at 2.83 V (assuming 8 ohms) it would take about 320 watts to make it to 121 dB. If 4 ohms, it would take double that or 640 watts. Distributing that power among the speakers in the towers you find that the tweeters will dissipate ~24 to 25 watts each for 8 ohms or 48 ~ 50 watts at 4 ohms. There are tweeters that can handle that much power without a whole lot of distortion. The mid/woofers are dissipating 14 to 28 watts each (by my count). This too is doable.

I don't know if his claim is true or not. I am just pointing out that it is a possibility to get that loud without serious rises in distortion.

And yes it can produce deaf customers, not something that an audio company wants, if they are smart.

Shelly_D

they both look like dayton tweeters

QUOTE Originally Posted by TNRabbit
"Also, the parts express ribbons are nowhere close to the power handling of these ribbons. They are the same ones used in Sunfire's Cinema Ribbon speakers. "

Origionally posted by Ray W
Why do you say that? The PE ribbons (planar magnetic, actually) are rated at 80W. With 13 of them per side you're looking at 1040W for just the tweeter module. If the crossover is above about 500Hz then that will probably be less than half the signal after the crossover. If the woofer module is rated at 1000W then there's your 2000W overall rating.

TN Your'e right. They are the same . see pix left = parts express dayton tweeter right = sunfire cinema tweeter. So he was and is either buying Daytons or very good clones . So maybe Dayton or Dayton reference woofers as well I`ve heard they are good . Ray's math is good so is Shelly D's
question is will they sound like 8000.00 or whatever they might cost.
Dayton's per their website are designed here but manufactured elsewhere China perhaps ? Maybe the parts can be sourced cheaper direct from Asia ?
just saying

Attachments

• 21ASbx5U-gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    21ASbx5U-gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 62
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Tweeters never dissipate that much power. I'm sure someone can do the math, but i don't think crossovers allow that much signal to get to the tweeters.

The most obvious reason is that there isn't that much high frequency content in music.

My experience has been that "ANY" time Bob Carver's name is mentioned on this board some kinda verbal jousting ensues. Oh well what can you do...
Shawn

I see you are correct. Guess I will let it be, and shrink into the shadows. :scratch2:

Walker

QUOTE Originally Posted by TNRabbit
"Also, the parts express ribbons are nowhere close to the power handling of these ribbons. They are the same ones used in Sunfire's Cinema Ribbon speakers. "

TN Your'e right. They are the same . see pix left = parts express dayton tweeter right = sunfire cinema tweeter. So he was and is either buying Daytons or very good clones . So maybe Dayton or Dayton reference woofers as well I`ve heard they are good . Ray's math is good so is Shelly D's
question is will they sound like 8000.00 or whatever they might cost.
Dayton's per their website are designed here but manufactured elsewhere China perhaps ? Maybe the parts can be sourced cheaper direct from Asia ?
just saying

Probably safe to assume Carver's are being sourced from the OEM in Asia.

Some of the people posting on here really should read some of Bob Carvers white papers on the technology used before jumping to conclusions...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom