Bob Crites Titanium Diaphragms in KG4’s , is it worth doing?

Brian,

That's probably the best way to go to ensure you're getting the best from your KG4's at a very reasonable cost while maintaining marital harmony. All us married folks understand the importance of keeping the spouse happy. Please post your observations once you have the upgrades in place. I'd put my money on a very positive review!

Thanks,
Joe
Hey Joe , I have a question that I hope you can answer. Once I receive the new diaphragms and Crossover from Bob Crites how will the new crossover be installled since it’s on a piece of cedar wood? What happens to the original crossover that connects to the back of the speaker box with the positive and negative terminals. How will the speaker wires connect to the new crossover board from Crites?

Hey Joe , I have a question that I hope you can answer. Once I receive the new diaphragms and Crossover from Bob Crites how will the new crossover be installled since it’s on a piece of cedar wood? What happens to the original crossover that connects to the back of the speaker box with the positive and negative terminals. How will the speaker wires connect to the new crossover board from Crites?

Brian,

I didn't replace the entire crossover, just the capacitors. However, I checked Bob Crites' website and found this tutorial (with pictures) for replacing the crossover on Forte II speakers. The existing crossover (including wires to the input posts and drivers) is removed from the terminal cup and the new crossover is installed on the bottom of the cabinet using Velcro. New wires from the new crossovers connect to the input terminal posts on the terminal cup and to the original drivers using spade connectors, maintaining polarity. This is actually easier than replacing the capacitors as no soldering is required. It's basically plug and play. Also, there are only two drivers in the KG4 vs. three shown in the linked tutorial.

Brian,

I didn't replace the entire crossover, just the capacitors. However, I checked Bob Crites' website and found this tutorial (with pictures) for replacing the crossover on Forte II speakers. The existing crossover (including wires to the input posts and drivers) is removed from the terminal cup and the new crossover is installed on the bottom of the cabinet using Velcro. New wires from the new crossovers connect to the input terminal posts on the terminal cup and to the original drivers using spade connectors, maintaining polarity. This is actually easier than replacing the capacitors as no soldering is required. It's basically plug and play. Also, there are only two drivers in the KG4 vs. three shown in the linked tutorial.
Awesome Joe , Thank You for the explanation. So , what is there now as far as the red & black pos & neg terminals will still be used , however , will be connected to the new crossover board on the bottom of the speaker box?

Brian,

I clicked on the link , perfect , thank you

Crites Ti diaphragms are a no brainer. Crystal highs, much better overall. Brooks and Dunn "No Way to Go" is especially fine with Crites tweeters.
2 Pac "California Love", Robert Cray "Strong Persuader". I've been shaking the floor most of the day with Marcus Miller running bass lines. Diana Krall gives me eargasms.
Recap your current crossovers, easy to do. Parts Express carries the caps.
I don't know where folks get that the KG4's don't reproduce bass. The floor shakes, and I've blown pictures off of the wall behind the speakers. I don't need a sub, YMMV.

Strong Persuader....what a great CD. I've recently been re-aquainted with it since the late 80s

Crites Ti diaphragms are a no brainer. Crystal highs, much better overall. Brooks and Dunn "No Way to Go" is especially fine with Crites tweeters.
2 Pac "California Love", Robert Cray "Strong Persuader". I've been shaking the floor most of the day with Marcus Miller running bass lines. Diana Krall gives me eargasms.
Recap your current crossovers, easy to do. Parts Express carries the caps.
I don't know where folks get that the KG4's don't reproduce bass. The floor shakes, and I've blown pictures off of the wall behind the speakers. I don't need a sub, YMMV.
I'm definitely going to do both the Titanium Diaphragm and crossover upgrade ( Crites Of course ) and can't wait to hear the results. The KG4'S sound great now , however , maybe its my age but the highs at high volume is starting to fatigue my ears and some of my favorite pieces of music whether on vinyl , CD or cassette I just can't help myself to CRANK IT UP!!! Bought mine in 1988 brand new and still have the original boxes and packaging. They are like brand new. not 1 mark or scratch on them. They are worthy of this upgrade. I compared the KG4's side by side to the Heresy I before purchasing them and preferred the KG4's due to the fuller , more lively and of course more bass sound. Couldn't get over the price difference for a speaker that cost considerably less money and had a better and bigger sound stage. The KG4 with it's engineering giving you a horn loaded tweeter , 2 , 8" Poly Cone woofers and the rear 12" passive radiator is the result for the fuller sound. Yes , the Heresy gives you the horn loaded Midrange and it sounds great , however , the Heresy doesn't dig down deep enough for me unless hooked up to a sub. I know that if I would compare the new upgraded KG4's to the Heresy I , I'm assuming my ears would definitely prefer the sound even more. From what I understand , the new crossover and capacitors will allow the drivers to perform better and reach lows and highs that they have never reached before? Is that Right? I hope so. The next Klipsch loudspeaker that I purchase will be the Forte iii. I think that will be a sound upgrade that I will enjoy.

The next Klipsch loudspeaker that I purchase will be the Forte iii. I think that will be a sound upgrade that I will enjoy.

I would suggest that you audition a set of RF7ll or a pair of RF7lll. For near field listening (less than about 14 feet from the loudspeaker) a two way will integrate better than a three way can (plus you have one less crossover point to deal with messing up the sound). Add to this that an RF7 of any vintage will push much more air in the bass department than a single twelve inch woofer can and you get more than double the power handling compared to the single twelve inch Forte/ll woofer. Further you have a much more symmetrical horn with the FR7 series which I believe is beneficial when it comes to sound stage and image with the horn mouth being closer to square. The RF7 seriesll/lll both have serious professional compression drivers of far higher quality compared to the driver used in the Forte/ll. I think that if you have been living with a two way this long and enjoying them so much you will probably love the RF7ll/lll.

Fresh crossover capacitors in your KG will clean up the sound but the speaker will not play any lower than it did but it will likely sound better across the band than it did stock though new caps might squeeze out a little lower for you but I would not count on that happening.

I picked up a pair of Heresy 1 HBR's circa 1981 and I am doing a complete crossover replacement on both not just the caps. I am not doing the tweeter diaphrams because I want to hear what the new crossovers do on their own.

I'm definitely going to do both the Titanium Diaphragm and crossover upgrade ( Crites Of course ) and can't wait to hear the results. The KG4'S sound great now , however , maybe its my age but the highs at high volume is starting to fatigue my ears

That fatigue is what the new diaphragms will help with. At least it did on mine. Those guitar notes that are just a bit too shrill will be damped down in volume, while the very top end will be brought up, for a much better balance across the entire range. I think you'll like the effect.

Ordered my new crossovers from BC this morning. I should have them by the end of the week since they had a pair in stock. Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!:banana:

Well I got the crossovers installed today and they did make a difference. The Heresies have a smoother midrange and airiness to them than with the old crossovers and the chunky horns of Steely Dan sounded great. I really don't think I will try the new Titanium tweeter diaphrams because I really think the high end sounds great just the way it is. :)

Well I got the crossovers installed today and they did make a difference. The Heresies have a smoother midrange and airiness to them than with the old crossovers and the chunky horns of Steely Dan sounded great. I really don't think I will try the new Titanium tweeter diaphrams because I really think the high end sounds great just the way it is. :)

Since you have 81 vintage Heresy you won't be able to use Bobs ti diaphragms in those as they won't fit. Bob does have new and much better choice of drivers that you can step up to if you want another big improvement in the SQ. Give Bob a call and have a short chat to at least learn about the options that you have not only in upgrading your tweeter drivers but also your mid drivers.

Since you have 81 vintage Heresy you won't be able to use Bobs ti diaphragms in those as they won't fit. Bob does have new and much better choice of drivers that you can step up to if you want another big improvement in the SQ. Give Bob a call and have a short chat to at least learn about the options that you have not only in upgrading your tweeter drivers but also your mid drivers.

I actually talked to him a couple of times in the last few days so I don't know what to say. Must be a misunderstanding. But really though I love the way they sound now and I really dont want to spend anymore for what might be not that big of a difference. Thanks for the advice though.

If you like em as is, great! Sounds like you can replace the entire drivers rather than just diaphragms, is what MJ is saying. Maybe Bob didn't suggest that if you were just asking about diaphragms.

Happy listening!

If you like em as is, great! Sounds like you can replace the entire drivers rather than just diaphragms, is what MJ is saying. Maybe Bob didn't suggest that if you were just asking about diaphragms.
Happy listening!

You and MJ are right. I can get new diaphrams but not the titaniums so the only other option would be the new complete drivers. I really do like the way they sound now though so I think the only other thing I might do is get some risers for them. They are only $35 for a pair and they are in birch so they would match my HBR's.

I asked the same question about 'where to go next' although it was from the 4.2 instead of the 4. But Forte was one of the answers I got. I'm keeping my eye out for a used pair one of these days.

Brian, glad you're liking your upgraded kg4's!

I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I had the forte II, did the upgrades, and have the 4.2's and did the same. For me, and my system, even after the upgrades the forte II still gave me listening fatigue, so I sold them. I also use tubes and tried all types of placement and wanted to like them, it just wasn't working for my system.I had both sets and did A/Bing, blind testing etc. I personally favored the 4.2's due to the front passive radiator and easier overall placement. They are pulled out 6 feet from the back wall,and 3 feet from the side walls in my 14x24 room.I couldn't do that with the forte's due to the rear passive.

I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I had the forte II, did the upgrades, and have the 4.2's and did the same. For me, and my system, even after the upgrades the forte II still gave me listening fatigue, so I sold them. I also use tubes and tried all types of placement and wanted to like them, it just wasn't working for my system.I had both sets and did A/Bing, blind testing etc. I personally favored the 4.2's due to the front passive radiator and easier overall placement. They are pulled out 6 feet from the back wall,and 3 feet from the side walls in my 14x24 room.I couldn't do that with the forte's due to the rear passive.
The back wall is the one that's behind the listener not the speakers, the front wall is behind the speakers, facing the listener. :)

Back
Top Bottom