Bogen ST 10 amp info.....

lostinthe70s

Found a very nice little Bogen ST 10 amp at a local estate sale a few weeks back and can't seem to find much info on it. The Google search provided two sites, one a brochure ad and the other Collector Magazine site with what appears to have been an old Ebay sale with no information and that's about it.

Evidently there aren't many out there and would appreciate any info on it someone might have. It's in very good condition showing little wear, haven't done anything with it and I'm not planning on using but found it odd I couldn't find anything about it. Thanks......

I had never heard of it either, but it's covered in Sams Photofact folder 378-6, so I could dig out the service info for you... Around 1957.

Thanks Tom, don't go to any bother. I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. Probably sell it since it's not something I need or will use. I only have one tube amp I use, a Dynaco ST-70 running thru a set of Times Windows speakers. I don't play it often since there's no place around here to get tube amps worked on.

I know this is an old thread (was doing a search on ST-1A and Scott Model 135) but thought I would post info on the Bogen ST-10 (10A and 10G). I own two of these. They were introduced by Bogen (1957) to provide a cost effective solution for individuals with a mono amp (and providing stereo tape preamp function as well). They had a another unit introduced at this same time called the ST-1A which was a passive unit that required two mono amps.
The ST10 coupled with one of their mono (or another vendor's mono amp) you could add a stereo device through the XTL-Tuner inputs. The unit provided 10 watts power to a speaker (channel 1) and then a power amp output for channel 2 to your existing mono amp. The ST10 provided tonal and volume control for both units.
Its other function was adding stereo tape unit pre-amplifications and then output to a power amp through the PA outputs. Another option coupled with this was taking the PA output and connect to XLT-Tuner inputs. Then take PA 2 output to your mono amp and again have tonal and volume control for stereo.
I used one of these units to upgrade a 1952 mono console to accept a newer stereo turntable (a Magnavox Micromatic W602). It compact size was easy for me to add to one of the cabinets storage shelves. Sounds pretty good.
These units are quite rare primarily because of their limited applications. The Bogen ST-1A (passive device) is a better solution (matched mono amps). I am using one of these with a pair of Bogen DB130s. As further note, several vendors at the time made similar products to the ST-1A (HH Scott had the Model 135). Fisher and Dynaco had units as well. I am currently trying to get a reasonably priced Scott Model 135 (the last one sold on eBay - May 2017- for $190 - too high for my blood). All of these units are scarce but they do allow a balanced approach for paired mono amps.

Thought this might help for future inquiries..

I believe it was called an sta-1 for the volume control for a pair of mono integrated amps.

I recently picked up the Bogen DB130 for $20 at a garage sale and while searching for information on the contour volume control I came across a PDF from 1958 Audio magazine that explains the function of the STA-1 and ST10-A. These were stereo adapters that allowed existing Bogen mono amps to convert to stereo. http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/50s/Audio-1958-Sept.pdf.
"Simply add the STAl, your choice of speaker and a DB130, DB125, DB1l4 or AClO". If I am interpreting this correctly you only need 1 amp. Hey can anyone explain the Contour Volume control on the Bogen DB130?

Hi All,
As I understand the ad linked to above the STA1 is used with two of the amp/integrated amps from Bogen, the ST10 is used where there is only one of the Bogen Amp/integrated amp as it is itself an amp, IIRC it is rated at 10 wpc which would cover the rear speakers.
I am interested in this because I have two DB130's and an R660 that I would like to setup as a stereo signal, as I understand the layout that would require a couple of pieces that are hard to find if you want to keep the system all Bogen, for my system that would mean getting my hands on a PX60 and a STA1, these don't come to market very often now a days and are usually not cheap.
I would like to know what others are doing to make two integrated Bogen amps play together.
Thanks,
Steve.

you could always just run it as two amps together. You'd have to operate them independantly but its possible as long as you don't mind a left and a right volume control that don't interact with each other. I actually have a preamp sitting on my bench right now that was designed that way on purpose.

Sure a person could do that, but for me anyway, keeping in the Bogen vain of gear I would like to use the pieces they made to facilitate dual amps and stereo play-back of the FM radio signal.
To do what I would like to do would I would have to add an STA1 for the amps and IIRC a PX-60 for the radio's FM signal.
The fun is having an all Bogen system! (for me anyway).

I have a similar setup with two DB130 amps and R660 tuner. The tuner is mono so not sure how to make it a stereo signal. Does the PX60 receive a second channel over the air, or double the mono signal? Just stumbled across a STA-1 in a " buy it now"...so I did...on it's way. Please let me know how you hooked up your dual mono system. Thanks!

Last edited:
The PX-60 is a multiplex adapter. Paired with a tuner that has a multiplex output jack you get stereo output from the PX-60 . Guessing the tuner would be something like the FM-50 to match a DB-130 pair.

My Bogen R660 appears not to have such an output...(thought it was state of the art but guess not)...just two parallel mono rca outs one hooked to my amp. A PX60 is for sale but wouldn't help me much. Thanks!

Just found a photo of another R660 that has one norm and one multiplex out...mine labeled outputs and made in USA silk screened on the chassis. Also...no serial number...weird....never had one unless it was a sticker or something. I have one DB130 that is blank serial number like the tuner....and another stamped 02003 in the chassis.....who knows why

Its easy enough to add in if yours doesn't have it. If you can find a schematic for one that includes it that will show what needs to be done, but basically you just have to tap off the output of the detector directly. Check the FM-50 schematic for reference, it has both outputs.

So far I'm ok with FM in mono but may add a PX60 at some time....my tuner has been serviced and works great. Still wonder why Bogen didn't serial number some of their components in the 50's...weird.

I now have my STA-1 from Bogen...while looking it over and de-griming the box I noticed two resistors that are only attached at one end. Anyone know if this is correct? Someone may have messed with it I suppose...any help appreciated!20180922_200429-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom